What critically acclaimed album/s do you just not 'get'?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
thekingofash
  • Posted: 04/30/2013 15:43
  • Post subject: What critically acclaimed album/s do you just not 'get'?
Admittedly I only joined this site round about, oh, a day ago, but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the vast majority of people here have at least one album that, while it might be respected and worshiped by many, just doesn't connect with them. After all, if that wasn't the case we'd basically be clones of one another and I don't think I have to explain why we should be glad that's not the case.

For me, the biggest example that comes to mind would probably be My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless", as controversial as that probably is. Bear in mind I've heard both Ride's "Nowhere" and Slowdive's "Souvlaki", as well as enjoyed both of those, so it's not like I hate shoegaze in general. I guess the analogy I'll use is it's like if instead of going to the Moon humanity had instead decided to pick a random direction and travel as far as possible in space: while technically it might be a more impressive achievement, it lacks a real structured purpose. And that's what "Loveless" is to me: no doubt a technical marvel, but too many of the tracks almost feel like they've had noise piled on top of them simply to hide the melodies buried within and it seems to me like once you've heard a minute of one you've heard it all due to their lack of general surprises. I'll admit there are great tracks present ("Only Shallow" and "Loomer" whatever mood I'm in, "When You Sleep" if I'm in the right one), the vast majority of it just fails to emotionally move me whatsoever. Maybe I respect it a little just for its sheer ballsiness, but after three listens I just feel like I could never enjoy the vast majority of it, although I've been proven wrong on similar fronts many a time.

So, to be brief: what's yours? Razz
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 04/30/2013 15:48
  • Post subject:
The Wall, fillerfillerfillersongfillerfillerfillersongfillerfillierfiller.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States
  • Posted: 04/30/2013 15:51
  • Post subject:
The Queen Is Fucking Dead!

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru
  • Posted: 04/30/2013 16:14
  • Post subject:
Fuck yeah some actual music discussion.

There are quite a few albums which I feel I should like but I find either boring or just plain bad. I think the biggest example is The Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed. I can't help but find it a collection of sub-standard orchestral pop arrangements which would be more at home at a Bambi movie.

Neither Revolver nor Rubber Sould do anything for me at all, they just slightly annoy me. I don't get the hype surrounding Nirvana. While I agree Hendrix was a very talented guitarist, I can't enjoy many of his songs.

Oh right, both The Smiths and Joy Division I find to be incredibly overrated. They're fine bands, but nothing more. I just don't get where's the gold in their music.
  • Visit poster's website
Cymro2011

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 04/30/2013 16:16
  • Post subject:
Defago wrote:

Oh right, both The Smiths and Joy Division I find to be incredibly overrated. They're fine bands, but nothing more. I just don't get where's the gold in their music.

Completely agree.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair
  • Posted: 04/30/2013 16:27
  • Post subject:
Cymro2011 wrote:
The Wall, fillerfillerfillersongfillerfillerfillersongfillerfillierfiller.

I'm no fan of The Wall, but I've always thought that every song is integral to what they were trying to get across. I know that's not a popular opinion.

As for me...

Also, isn't this just another 'albums you think are overrated' thread but in disguise?
  • Posted: 04/30/2013 16:31
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
Also, isn't this just another 'albums you think are overrated' thread but in disguise?

mmhmmm
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States
  • Posted: 04/30/2013 16:32
  • Post subject:
@ puncturerepair, of course it is! Haha!

And add Oddessey and Oracle to mine.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
GeevyDallas
WATTBA
  • Posted: 04/30/2013 16:39
  • Post subject:
Radiohead are fucking awful,same goes for Zepellin and Pink Floyd.The albums I've heard from these bands have done absolutely nothing for me whatsoever.I don't want to discuss these further so I wont,stay away kids.

Ready To Die is the one that immediately springs to mind,never got it to be honest.There's time when I can vibe to it and then the next song kills it,I've really tried with it,but unfortunately it's never clicked.My favourite part of the album by some margin is Method Man on The What,that is never a good thing on an album,he steals the show.The beats range from classic to meh,same goes for BIG's rhymes.I just find it an alright album,very inconsistent and I think it's the worst 'classic' hip hop album.

Kanye's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy isn't for me,I've said this numerous times on the forum and I'm beginning to even annoy myself talking about it.

I want so badly to get Pet Sounds,I've tried and tried and tried,going to spin this endlessly over the summer,that's if I don't get sick of it.

London Calling is missing the magic of earlier Clash releases,hard to explain,has some dope tracks and is a good album,just not up there with 2 or 3 of their others.

Tago Mago is aight,aint the classik y'all hype it to be.Same goes for the albums i've heard from that Hendrix lad.

My crowning moment however is this,Trout Mask Replica is the worst album ever recorded.It's all close to being tortured as I've ever come.I'd sooner stab myself in the balls with a pen than listen to that shambolic mess again,it made me hate music for its duration.

Last edited by GeevyDallas on 04/30/2013 16:43; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Cymro2011

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 04/30/2013 16:41
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:

grumble grumble
  • Visit poster's website