Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 09/22/2013 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#1039): The Clash by The Clash
Today's album of the day

The Clash by The Clash (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1977.
Overall rank: 130
Average rating: 82/100 (from 418 votes).

Tracks:
1. Janie Jones
2. Remote Control
3. I'm So Bored With The USA
4. White Riot
5. Hate & War
6. What's My Name
7. Deny
8. London's Burning
9. Career Opportunities
10. Cheat
11. Protex Blue
12. Police & Thieves
13. 48 Hours
14. Garageland

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
Kiki

• Posted: 09/22/2013 20:04
  • Post subject:
I wish a debut like this one was released this year or the next. Embarassed There have been some phenomenal debuts this year by Uk Rock bands yet something like this would be a catalyst in some... great explosion of sound.

Album is what dreams are made of. Taking a bashing on my chart lately though as I haven't listened to anything from it except whats on the 'Essential Clash' for a logn tiem now.
nutso42

• Posted: 09/22/2013 20:26
  • Post subject:
Brilliant album. The Clash are contenders for title of my favorite band, and this is probably their second best album.
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 09/22/2013 21:34
  • Post subject:
Truly amazing, though I prefer London Calling. London's Burning is an absolute winner.
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/22/2013 23:26
  • Post subject:
Just about prefer this to London Calling I'd say, I've combined the UK and US versions on my itunes to make it even stronger.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 09/23/2013 06:02
  • Post subject:
2 wonderful albums in a row, yay.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 09/23/2013 06:55
  • Post subject:
Smashing debut. Impressive energy and charisma flowing from every song, great rock album. Songs, sound, attitude.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 09/23/2013 09:16
  • Post subject:
The average song quality isn't quite as high as on London Calling, but the album is more consistent and doesn't drag on like London Calling does. I still probably prefer LC, I think, but this is a real winner right here.
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 09/24/2013 03:33
  • Post subject:
Love this album! In terms of pure energy an righteous rage , this is as good as it gets. So great!

Debut albums like this don't come around too often. It's rare for a band to come along with such force and energy and great sound and songs and just seem ready to conquer the world. Maybe "Surfer Rosa" and "Is This It?" and Rage's debut come to mind as comparable.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 09/24/2013 09:01
  • Post subject:
I think The Clash's overtly macho, "last gang in town" schtick really takes the shine off a lot of their music for me, but if I get past those initial doubts then I pretty much always end up enjoying their music (the first four albums, at any rate). There's six or seven songs here that I think are fantastic, particularly the poppier, more Buzzcocks-esque songs ('Garageland', 'Hate & War', 'Janie Jones'), despite the fact that I think The Clash are a better band than The Buzzcocks, weirdly. The highlight for me is a fantastic cover of Junior Murvin's 'Police & Thieves', but I still don't think it's as good as the original. I also think that their best song from this period is '1977', though that wasn't included on the album for whatever reason. Maybe it's too similar in theme to some of the other songs present here. They made this mistake again, a year later, in leaving '(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais' off of Give 'Em Enough Rope, which I always used to prefer to their debut but now find is pretty devoid of memorable songs (although 'Stay Free' is probably my favourite Clash song). London Calling is also fantastic, but some of the production annoys me, and some of their experiments on it don't quite work as far as I'm concerned. They made the same mistake with Sandanista, but I feel that if you're going to fill an album with genre experiments and stuff from outside your comfort zone that you may as well go the whole hog and be crazy with it, White Album style, as on Sandanista. It obviously makes for an incredibly disjointed, hit-and-miss album, but I just think it's more fun than its immediate predecessor. Which probably leaves... their debut as my favourite Clash album. Or maybe London Calling, though it has a vibe that doesn't match the quality of some of its songs (my favourite of which are 'Guns of Brixton', 'Train In Vain', 'Spanish Bombs'). Actually, I definitely prefer their debut to London Calling. Don't worry, my opinions on the matter will change tomorrow.