View previous topic :: View next topic
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 04/26/2015 19:35
  • Post subject:
JMan wrote:
I thought you said the...

Wait, did you mean the others would be handled in a separate thread? That should've been clarified beforehand.

No, I didn't, it's going to be on this thread. But we're still not on that topic yet?

MrFrogger wrote:
right now we're discussing "classic" Indie Pop, which sounds nothing like Sia.

also yeah this
JMan
  • Posted: 04/26/2015 19:38
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
I believe its the same thread, but we're not to 2008 yet Jman, right now we're discussing "classic" Indie Pop, which sounds nothing like Sia.

That's not something I'm going to directly pay attention to. If there's no rule that says I absolutely have to discuss only the classics right now, I'm going to post about that which I have heard. I haen't heard any albums from the 1980's-1990's that haven't been mentioned before, so I posted what I posted. I follow the rules I find, not the ones that are implied. And I'd like to end my part of the conversation there. Clearly I apparently have nothing o add until the thread gets to the new millenium, so I'll just leave right now until that section's written.
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 04/26/2015 19:39
  • Post subject:
But it was just so off-topic. It's like if everyone were talking about dogs and you start talking about cats cos they're animals too. There's not a rule saying you can't, it's just off-topic.
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States
  • Posted: 04/26/2015 19:43
  • Post subject:
Love this so far! I have a question from a noob perspective - how does REM's early work fit in? I'd say life's Rich Pageant is very jangly pop and catchy as hell. And the early albums have a bit more of a less defined an kinda strange sound - but still I always thought of Murmur and Reckoning as Jangle Pop/Indie Pop to a good degree.

Love all the Go Betweens that I've heard. I need to give them more listens.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 04/26/2015 19:46
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
Love this so far! I have a question from a noob perspective - how does REM's early work fit in? I'd say life's Rich Pageant is very jangly pop and catchy as hell. And the early albums have a bit more of a less defined an kinda strange sound - but still I always thought of Murmur and Reckoning as Jangle Pop/Indie Pop to a good degree.

Not indie pop IMO, but they're jangle pop.
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States
  • Posted: 04/26/2015 19:47
  • Post subject:
SuedeSwede wrote:
Not indie pop IMO, but they're jangle pop.

Can you define the difference? Because I also hear both in early REM, and also stuff like The Stone Roses, and Orange Juice, which is in your OP.
  • Visit poster's website
JMan
  • Posted: 04/26/2015 19:47
  • Post subject:
SuedeSwede wrote:
But it was just so off-topic. It's like if everyone were talking about dogs and you start talking about cats cos they're animals too. There's not a rule saying you can't, it's just off-topic.

The title says indie pop, so I'll talk about indie pop, whether people believe Sia is indie pop or not. The title and the thread didn't say I had to specifically talk about the 90's. If two people were handling the basic info and essential albums, that's one thing. If a thread is titled "Animals," I'll talk about any animal I want, because I can post about any animal I want. If the thread's titled "dogs," then I'll only post about dogs. This thread is titled "indie pop," and no one said I had to stick with a specific kind of conversation. We're not writing a novel. It's a forum. Like I said, if there's some actual rule, it should've been clarified from the get-go. I wasn't specifically trying to reply to your post, but to post in a thread about a genre I enjoy.

Last edited by JMan on 04/26/2015 19:53; edited 1 time in total
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States
  • Posted: 04/26/2015 19:52
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
Can you define the difference? Because I also hear both in early REM, and also stuff like The Stone Roses, and Orange Juice, which is in your OP.

Yeah same thought. But yeah, good stuff.

Also, Jman, stop being defensive. Talk about something else now. Aaaaaand....GO!

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 04/26/2015 19:52
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:

It's very slim. I wouldn't call any Stone Roses song other than Elephant Stone indie pop, or any other Orange Juice album indie pop other than YCHYLF. I guess it comes down to the fact R.E.M are much less pop-oriented, really. I mean, if we compare R.E.M to their indie pop cousins Orange Juice, you can hear a lot of difference in the structure/instrumentation and melodies.
sp4cetiger
  • Posted: 04/26/2015 19:55
  • Post subject:
Kudos, Swede, this should be a great resource. Love that people are suddenly bringing these things back. I've been mulling over a return to UPotD, myself.