Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
badseed

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2017 04:10
  • Post subject: Re: BEA's 250 Greatest Films of All Time [Poll]
pa wrote:
Yaaay!!
I know that our list will be amazing and hey, do u guys know this movie?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1255953/
The director is Canadian and the movie is mind blowing Wink

Yes! Good shit. Saw it once a couple years back. Probably won't make my personal list but it is a stellar film and I won't have a problem with seeing it on our list.

There's reasonably gonna be a couple thousand movies submitted if I had to guess, with a lot of ties. This is gonna be quite the task Hayden. Good luck. I look forward to the outcome. Honestly I'm probably gonna do this off the top of my head as opposed to breaking it down from my decades lists which has certainly changed. Generally I own all my favorite movies so a scan of my collection would probably give me a pretty accurate list.

Mercury I'm glad you're enjoying Powell and Pressburger. Although Citizen Kane is perfect and all I'd probably say that duo was the best director(s) of the 40s.
  • Visit poster's website
Rhyner
soft silly music is meaningful magical

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2017 04:39
  • Post subject:
I put a list together:
https://letterboxd.com/rywaba/list/my-favorite-movies/

Seeing it all together on one page like that makes me realize what schizophrenic taste I have. Feel free to make fun. I genuinely love all of these movies.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 04/15/2017 10:33
  • Post subject:
Can we put up an unranked list?
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/15/2017 15:23
  • Post subject:
Rhyner wrote:
I put a list together:
https://letterboxd.com/rywaba/list/my-favorite-movies/

Seeing it all together on one page like that makes me realize what schizophrenic taste I have. Feel free to make fun. I genuinely love all of these movies.

Thanks Rhyner Smile

Quote:
There's reasonably gonna be a couple thousand movies submitted if I had to guess, with a lot of ties. This is gonna be quite the task Hayden. Good luck. I look forward to the outcome.

Yeah.... Anxious I'll do my best. I'll probably do most of it on the final day Laughing

Quote:

Not really Confused If you do, I'd just have to count the first on the list as #1 and work my way down. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to really tally it up. I'm having difficulty ranking my list as well... no worries. I don't think anyone's submissions will be perfect to how they want them.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2017 16:57
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:

Quote:

Not really Confused If you do, I'd just have to count the first on the list as #1 and work my way down. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to really tally it up. I'm having difficulty ranking my list as well... no worries. I don't think anyone's submissions will be perfect to how they want them.

What if instead of counting number 1 as 100 points and 2 as 99 points and so on, every entry on an unranked list of 100 movies would be worth 50 points? Would that be too weird?

I'll have a ranked list but like IDK I feel like that might work?

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/15/2017 17:05
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
Hayden wrote:

Quote:

What if instead of counting number 1 as 100 points and 2 as 99 points and so on, every entry on an unranked list of 100 movies would be worth 50 points? Would that be too weird?

I'll have a ranked list but like IDK I feel like that might work?

Well... mathematically, that almost works. A list of 100 adds 5050 point to the tally, whereas that would add 5000 (not going to be giving 0.5 points Laughing ). I'm torn on the idea though... we've never done that before, and it'd throw things a bit out of wack. I was also hoping on bringing back the entire 'this many number ones, this many number twos, etc... for this list.

I think I'm going to insist on ranked lists... because (in theory) if everybody did that, every single film would be tied for #1 Laughing

Not a bad suggestion, but I just don't think it's the best idea.
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 04/15/2017 17:48
  • Post subject:
Fair enough, Hayden, your game your rules Smile
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2017 20:02
  • Post subject:
In anticipation for this poll, and not just this poll but for life in general, I have gotten a hold of MANY of the the movies I most wanted to get into - Have my hands on the complete "Shoah", also "The Act of Killing", all set up to re-watch movies which are universally adored but haven't 100% clicked with me yet - such as Sunrise (already rewatched 2 nights ago and it rose in my estimation already loved it but more now), Blue Velvet, Exotica, 8 1/2, Nosferatu, etc etc.

Also rewatched "Singin' In The Rain" last night to see if it should be included toward the end of my top 100. Well, I adored it so so so much it vaulted to top 30 or 40 territory (what a godsend of a movie). I will be busy watching and rewatching sooooo many movies to watch asap (maybe too many, goodbye social life) that I imagine my list will be changing over the next month or 2 at an alarming rate.

Also, as a massive NBA fan I have to work out some playoff viewing... this is going to be tough.

----------

As far as films I hope people consider for their list, or consider watching or rewatching before their final lists, the number one answer is please PLEASE watch The Apu Trilogy. For my money its the greatest cinematic achievement i've ever seen. Also it culminates with a film so good its almost miraculous in "The World of Apu". I adore these movies more than any series ever - more than The Before Trilogy, or three colors, or The Dark Knight Trilogy, or The Decalogue, or anything honestly.

Also, "Alien" ... Watch "Alien" already, sheesh!... Wink Wink you know who you are

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/15/2017 20:40
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
"Shoah", also "The Act of Killing"

As far as films I hope people consider for their list, or consider watching or rewatching before their final lists, the number one answer is please PLEASE watch The Apu Trilogy.

Also, "Alien" ... Watch "Alien" already, sheesh!... Wink Wink you know who you are

I've never seen Shoah, but I'm not sure if I'd recommend watching it back to back with anything, let alone The Act of Killing (which is phenomenal).

It's only come to my attention recently that I've never seen Aparajito Laughing Even though it's the middle of the trilogy. Woops. I might end up watching all of them in a weekend marathon or something.

And yeah... I wonder who that last part is about... Anxious

My embarrassing 'to watch' list before the deadline: The Matrix, Los Olvidados, Alien, Saving Private Ryan, Apocalypse Now, Unforgiven, Amores Perros, High and Low, Lawrence of Arabia, Akira, Double Indemnity, Z, Nashville and The Wild Bunch... I'll probably get to like, 5 of those Laughing
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 04/15/2017 20:49
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Mercury wrote:
"Shoah", also "The Act of Killing"

As far as films I hope people consider for their list, or consider watching or rewatching before their final lists, the number one answer is please PLEASE watch The Apu Trilogy.

I've never seen Shoah, but I'm not sure if I'd recommend watching it back to back with anything, let alone The Act of Killing (which is phenomenal).

It's only come to my attention recently that I've never seen Aparajito Laughing Even though it's the middle of the trilogy. Woops. I might end up watching all of them in a weekend marathon or something.

And yeah... I wonder who that last part is about... Anxious

My embarrassing 'to watch' list before the deadline: The Matrix, Los Olvidados, Alien, Saving Private Ryan, Apocalypse Now, Unforgiven, Amores Perros, High and Low, Lawrence of Arabia, Akira, Double Indemnity, Z, Nashville and The Wild Bunch... I'll probably get to like, 5 of those Laughing

Yeah, Shoah + The Act of Killing = a bit of light viewing enjoyment. Smile

As for the Apu Trilogy, I may be in the minority here but I think Satyajit Ray gets better and better and as great as he was in his debut Pather Panchali, I feel he becomes absolutely impeccable as the series goes on. The series gets better and more beautiful as it progresses. Lather Panchali is one of the greatest (okay let's face it, the greatest) directorial debuts ever, so it's amazing he could top it twice.

And if you were to listen to me (lol...not recommended as a general rule) on those need to watch movies I'd pick 1. Alien 2. Nashville 3. Lawrence of Arabia 4. Unforgiven 5. Saving Private Ryan. The first 2 I think are brilliant. The reason Saving Private Ryan is lower is because I have the idea you're not a big Spielberg fan? I don't remember. The first 2 work as brilliant and unique and essential unpretentious "artsy" movies you'd dig methinks.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website