What's a good album to start with if I wanna get into metal?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
NewsFromHome

• Posted: 11/07/2020 03:54
  • Post subject:
Spyglass wrote:
Wow. Which albums did he get into Boris through? Was it just Pink or were there others?

She started with Flood! I'm bisexual but I'm currently with a woman. She was thrown off by how pretty it was and went to investigate and now we're here.

Now she's been listening to prog metal recently? Mainly some local diy bands like Strawberry Girls but recently some Atheist and Edge of Sanity.
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 11/07/2020 11:24
  • Post subject:
Great question! You've already got tons of great picks but just for fun...

Metal Starter Kit
1. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
2. Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny
3. Van Halen - Van Halen
4. Iron Maiden - Number Of The Beast
5. Metallica - Master Of Puppets
6. Guns & Roses - Appetite For Destruction
7. Alice In Chains - Dirt
8. Soundgarden - Superunknown
9. Tool - Aenima
10. Queens Of The Stone Age - Rated R
11. Mastodon - Leviathan
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 11/07/2020 12:45
  • Post subject:
Probably not Cryptopsy

I mostly agree with what others have said. There's this "big 4" of metal (my imaginary "big 4", it's not a widely used term) of Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Metallica. I think those 4 are an excellent way to get into metal, all of them are widely acclaimed within metal community and everyone loves them (apart from maybe Metallica). So the 4 albums would be:

Black Sabbath - Paranoid (or the s/t debut or Master of Reality, all three are pretty easy to get into if you like hard rock)
Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast (or Powerslave, those two are the easiest to get into)
Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengence (although Sad Wings Of Destiny is better imo, but it's a different kind of sound, SFV is certainly more "metal")
Metallica - Master Of Puppets (the s/t Black Album could be easier to get into, but Master of Puppets is possibly the most widely known and celebrated metal album)

Edit: take it a step at the time, just like with every other genre (maybe even more so) it usually takes a few tries for the sound to click with you

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 11/07/2020 14:04
  • Post subject:
First four Sabbath albums. Then lean into what you like from there.
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 11/07/2020 16:35
  • Post subject:
NewsFromHome wrote:
She started with Flood! I'm bisexual but I'm currently with a woman. She was thrown off by how pretty it was and went to investigate and now we're here.

Now she's been listening to prog metal recently? Mainly some local diy bands like Strawberry Girls but recently some Atheist and Edge of Sanity.

Gotcha. I'll try to remember that.

LedZep wrote:
Probably not Cryptopsy

I mostly agree with what others have said. There's this "big 4" of metal (my imaginary "big 4", it's not a widely used term) of Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Metallica. I think those 4 are an excellent way to get into metal, all of them are widely acclaimed within metal community and everyone loves them (apart from maybe Metallica). So the 4 albums would be:

Brutal death metal in general is a terrible starting point for metal unless you already listen to harsh noise music.

That's a pretty good big four. Isn't there one for thrash?

Btw, Kylie, whenever you feel like letting us know how the metal journey is going, I'd love to hear about it (I am a HUGE metal fan).

Repo wrote:
Great question! You've already got tons of great picks but just for fun...

Metal Starter Kit
1. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
2. Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny
3. Van Halen - Van Halen
4. Iron Maiden - Number Of The Beast
5. Metallica - Master Of Puppets
6. Guns & Roses - Appetite For Destruction
7. Alice In Chains - Dirt
8. Soundgarden - Superunknown
9. Tool - Aenima
10. Queens Of The Stone Age - Rated R
11. Mastodon - Leviathan

Paranoid is an excellent choice.
I never really considered Sad Wings of Destiny to be a metal album. It seemed way too light.
Van Halen is a good choice.
Number of the Beast is a phenomenal record, but yes, she should probably start with Paranoid like you said.
Maser of Puppets might have to wait until after she tries Metallica.
I avoided mentioning Appetite for Destruction because of Axl's voice, but I love the album either way.
I completely forgot about Dirt. Maybe alternative metal would make a good start.
Superunknown was my introduction to Soundgarden.
Aenima is fantastic, but I think she should work through the Tool discography from the debut to the last album.
Rated R certainly feels a lot like a metal album, so I'll agree with this one.
Leviathan might be a little too heavy for now, but it is incredible.
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 11/07/2020 16:49
  • Post subject:
Like I said, that “big 4” is my own unofficial idea, mostly based on popularity and accessibility. Like 80% of people who are into metal have started with one of those 4 bands. You could add Mötorhead too I guess.
There’s a thrash “Big 4” of Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax, and there’s also a German “Teutonic Big 4” of Kreator, Sodom, Destruction and Tankard. I’ve also heard about Florida death metal “Big 4”, Death, Obituary, Deicide and Morbid Angel. There’s probably a big 4 for everything now.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 11/07/2020 16:57
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Like I said, that “big 4” is my own unofficial idea, mostly based on popularity and accessibility. Like 80% of people who are into metal have started with one of those 4 bands. You could add Mötorhead too I guess.
There’s a thrash “Big 4” of Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax, and there’s also a German “Teutonic Big 4” of Kreator, Sodom, Destruction and Tankard. I’ve also heard about Florida death metal “Big 4”, Death, Obituary, Deicide and Morbid Angel. There’s probably a big 4 for everything now.

Hopefully not. I really don't think every form of music can be exclusively represented by only four bands. And if I might suggest, Anthrax? Not Artillery or Testament or Overkill? Overkill's still killing. Have you heard Wings of War?
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 11/07/2020 17:59
  • Post subject:
Spyglass wrote:
Most people say that the best one is either Number of the Beast or Powerslave but the debut is lighter than both and still very good, so I guess you should check out their self-titled debut first.

I dunno....
Piece of mind is more accessible, but if you're coming from outside genre, the real gateway to Maiden is Somewhere in Time and then Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 11/07/2020 18:01
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:

Thats a good Big 4 of Thrash, but thrash is only one form of metal and not the one I'd have a new start with.
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 11/07/2020 18:22
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
LedZep wrote:

Thats a good Big 4 of Thrash, but thrash is only one form of metal and not the one I'd have a new start with.

I think as far as the early albums go, Metallica should be the starting point and Master of Puppets should be the next album. In fact, you may want to play them back to back, Kylie.