View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 02/03/2023 03:12
  • Post subject:

The Impending Fall of the Stars by Inherits the Void

The Parasitic Chambers by Conjureth

Tonight we have two albums from 2023 that have impressed me. In metal, that seems exponentially more rare these days as I hear things that are neither well done or particularly doing anything new. These albums are more in the “done well” camp then the “genre re-defining” camp.

The former being a Melodic Black Metal record and the latter being an almost Technical Death Metal one. Lyrically both try to play with some philosophical ideas and aesthetics, but if you’re listening to either you are looking for brain-pounding riffs and blast beats. They have those, too. Well produced. Competent. If you’re a fan of either form of extreme metal it’ll be a treat. Standout songs I would pick are the following two selections.

Link

Link

Enjoy. Or don't. Up to you.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 02/03/2023 13:44
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:

Link

Link

Enjoy. Or don't. Up to you.

Solid recs, at least judging by the two songs you've linked. Conjureth is some particularly tasty death metal, if a bit too progressive and clean for my liking. But dug it a lot, it's launched right up to the top of my queue.

Gowi wrote:
In metal, that seems exponentially more rare these days as I hear things that are neither well done or particularly doing anything new.

Sorry to hear that, I can definitely understand the sentiment. Although personally, I think metal is at its highest point since the mid 00s (or at least metal I care about). Plenty of fantastic death, doom, funeral doom, black, death doom, avantgarde, even more punky and melodic and gothic stuff which I'm usually less interested in.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 02/03/2023 14:46
  • Post subject:
Here's another fun metal rec from this month that I'm really digging:

At The Heart Of Wintervale by Twilight Force

Very fun power metal. Reminds me a lot of the Fellowship album from last year that I adored. It's not quite as good as that, but it's still very enjoyable, even if it's a little goofy and over-the-top (which, if I'm being honest, is what I love about power metal sometimes)

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 02/03/2023 21:36
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:

Solid recs, at least judging by the two songs you've linked. Conjureth is some particularly tasty death metal, if a bit too progressive and clean for my liking. But dug it a lot, it's launched right up to the top of my queue.

Sorry to hear that, I can definitely understand the sentiment. Although personally, I think metal is at its highest point since the mid 00s (or at least metal I care about). Plenty of fantastic death, doom, funeral doom, black, death doom, avantgarde, even more punky and melodic and gothic stuff which I'm usually less interested in.
I don't know. All of the funeral doom, post-sludge, black metal, etc. are stuff I've largely heard before. I've been listening to metal (by large quantities) and scouring metal-archives yearly since 2005 so a lot of it is fatigue but also familiarity. Nothing really feels that inventive or substantially good, but maybe that's part of growing older in general.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 02/03/2023 21:44
  • Post subject:
Sorry I'm already talking about February but in my previous post I had written that I yet to discover a spectacular new album and today it was finally released.
To me there two punkrock bands which started after the year 2000 which continue to release very good albums, both have their own niche and continue to renew themselves; and they have both released an album at the start of this year: Fucked Up and The Men.
I have already stated, that while the new Fucked Up album is very good, I was a bit disappointed by it.
But now that new The Men album:

New York City by The Men
Like I said, this band also continues to always find new ways to re-invent themselves and in some instances their albums were fairly experimental. But this new album is red hot ferocious oversteered guitar rock. In many instances I don't really enjoy really oversteered guitars, but here it's all for the good cause of producing the most exciting music you will hear this year and by far the best album I've heard from this year.
Doesn't anybody else like this band and this album?
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 02/03/2023 21:51
  • Post subject:
I haven't listened to The Men in years. Cool that they are still out there doing their thing.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 02/03/2023 22:21
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
But now that new The Men album:

New York City by The Men

Like I said, this band also continues to always find new ways to re-invent themselves and in some instances their albums were fairly experimental. But this new album is red hot ferocious oversteered guitar rock. In many instances I don't really enjoy really oversteered guitars, but here it's all for the good cause of producing the most exciting music you will hear this year and by far the best album I've heard from this year.

Gowi wrote:
I haven't listened to The Men in years. Cool that they are still out there doing their thing.

Hmmmm... Definitely had this album on my radar. Which album from The Men's past do you guys like the best?! I'll start with that!

Also I will also dig into all these metal recs and do my own makeshift Jan 2023 Metal Roundup sometime soon. Heading out to see some local bands tonight so probably will try to tackle that Saturday night.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 02/03/2023 22:27
  • Post subject:
I started with their EP, We Are The Men but consensus seems to be around Open Your Heart as the LP of choice.
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
Just to end the list...

United States

• Posted: 02/03/2023 22:36
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:

I sort-of do, but it's difficult to say with these guys. This album is practically a complete turnaround from the last three or four they've done, none of which I especially liked (nor disliked). But I definitely like this one, at least on first listening to it just now... And it's fitting that we were discussing Iggy earlier, because this one sounds a lot like The Stooges' Fun House to me, right down to the live-in-studio recording methodology. It's basically proto-punk in the style of the Stooges, MC5, and maybe a bit of New York Dolls too, so folks who like that stuff should really give this album a shot.

Also, I know you're from Belgium so I don't mean to be an English word-choice/grammar jerk (even though I totally am), but I believe the word you want there is "overdriven," not "oversteered." Wink
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 02/03/2023 22:39
  • Post subject:

Link

Off Second Death by Mansion. Ethereal Wave-touched Doom Metal, which seems to be a growing trend since people like Chelsea Wolfe and Emma Ruth Rundle got popular in the last half-decade. This is probably the best song of the record, though its worth listening to the whole album as well. Atmospheric, almost post-metal dynamics alongside the ethereal wave and doom metal foundation. Good shit.

Link

From Wothrosch's Odium, we have blackened sludge. Can't say I've run into this sound so perfectly in harmony in a long time. Has the tremolo and pinch harmonics you expect in black metal with the guitar tone and raw aggression of traditional southern sludge. Has a lot of teeth. One of my favorites of 2023 so far give the album a look if you're into traditional sludge like Iron Monkey or Eyehategod but with a more black metal twist.

Link

This one is from an album that's largely inconsistent. Repulsive Nature by Re-Buried was still a somewhat enjoyable experience for me as I like traditional Death Metal (Necrophagia, etc.) well enough. Nothing inventive, but the song here shows some promise for the band.

Link

Very solid showing from Ruinthrone, a progressive power metal group with folk metal trappings. Very much in line with Wuthering Heights (the band, obviously) in terms of musical philosophy but also the vocalists inflections. The Unconscious Mind of Arda is a good enough album, but there are a lot of weak showings and weird sequencing. Worth a look if you are looking for a good prog-power outfit.
  • Visit poster's website