Does the title of a song affect the song?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Puncture Repair
  • Posted: 04/17/2013 20:06
  • Post subject:
Yes.

The title of a song is essential in highlighting what the artist believes is a key moment in the song. When a song name is very well chosen it can very successfully bring forward a moment of the song otherwise potentially lost.

Would 'Losing My Religion' be as effective if it was titled 'Me In The Corner'? Both are equally legitimate song titles, but they centralize different key themes in the song. With the title 'Losing My Religion' instantly we consider the song to be widely about the loss of faith, whereas an alternative title could make the song seem more focused around the feeling of isolation.

Just an example, but I think a title has a very big impact, even if it's subtle.
Kiki
  • Posted: 04/17/2013 20:11
  • Post subject:
'The Killing Moon' > 'Fate' > 'Fate Up Against Your Will'
moojakptorei
  • Posted: 04/17/2013 20:12
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
Yes.

The title of a song is essential in highlighting what the artist believes is a key moment in the song. When a song name is very well chosen it can very successfully bring forward a moment of the song otherwise potentially lost.

Would 'Losing My Religion' be as effective if it was titled 'Me In The Corner'? Both are equally legitimate song titles, but they centralize different key themes in the song. With the title 'Losing My Religion' instantly we consider the song to be widely about the loss of faith, whereas an alternative title could make the song seem more focused around the feeling of isolation.

Just an example, but I think a title has a very big impact, even if it's subtle.

Good point Smile
Kiki
  • Posted: 04/17/2013 20:15
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
Yes.

You've blown this wide open. Good on you for thinking outside the box. You deserve a medal! Smile Shocked

The fact is, most songs have got the best title possible already because it is the hook or most repeated part! So it would appear they are not important because we haven't been thinking about what if 'She Loves You' was called 'Elephant Tops The Grasshoper's Chair'
moojakptorei
  • Posted: 04/17/2013 20:19
  • Post subject:
an_outlaw wrote:
I see. The Sour Times example is good. It is related to you and obviously effects how you feel about the song. Got me thinking about titles that don't get repeated in the chorus or a great deal of times through the songs. I thought of one called Williams Last Words:

How would you say the title effects this song? The 'last words' part does become more haunting with the context of when and how it was wrote. Williams Last Words. I can't think of a more appropriate title. I think it wouldn't feel the same if it has been 'The Party' or 'Bandaling Bowling'. The title definitely adds something to this one.

Good example. I know this isn't besteverpoems.com but would this poem be as effective if it was named something else.

http://lib.byu.edu/exhibits/wwi/influence/MCMXIV.html

The poem is MCMXIV by Philip Larkin. In it it he compares day to day life in 1913 with the horror of WWI.

Another example of a war poem is this on by Wilfred Owen.

http://www.english.emory.edu/LostPoets/Dulce.html

It's called 'Dulce et Decorum est' which is part of a popular Latin phrase during WWI that meant 'It is sweet and right to die for you country.' This poem contrasts this by showing the horrors of war.
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States
  • Posted: 04/17/2013 20:21
  • Post subject:
The roar of the masses could be farts.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States
  • Posted: 04/17/2013 20:21
  • Post subject:
this world is all about first impressions. A good song can overcome a bad song title, but it certainly makes a difference.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
moojakptorei
  • Posted: 04/17/2013 20:27
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
Yes.

Here's an interesting example:

Wikipedia wrote:
"Another Brick in the Wall" is the title of three songs set to variations of the same basic theme, on Pink Floyd's 1979 rock opera, The Wall, subtitled Part 1 (working title "Reminiscing"), Part 2 (working title "Education"), and Part 3 (working title "Drugs").

Reminiscing, Education and Drugs sound way less cool than Another Brick In The Wall.
I don't think that a song called "Education" would get to Number 1 in the UK and US.
  • Posted: 04/17/2013 20:54
  • Post subject:
It doesn't necessarily affect the song's quality, but it affects the song.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States
  • Posted: 04/17/2013 21:18
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
Yes.

Well said. Applause

Personally, I'm not sure it affects how I feel about a song, but I definitely like to take it into account, as well as the album artwork and album title and everything involved because it's part of the artist's creative process.