Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 05/10/2016 04:40
  • Post subject:
Still catching up

5/6/16

1. Simple Songs by Jim O'Rourke
2. Up The Country With Hillboggle by Hillboggle (FL16)
3. Interventions by Horse Lords
4. Unfidelity by Ekoplekz (LTY)
5. Medium Rude by Reed Evan Rosenberg & Ethan Tripp
6. Pale Calling by Oren Ambarchi / Kassel Jaeger / James Rushford

5/7/16

1. VEGA INTL. Night School by Neon Indian
2. Amnesiac by Radiohead (LTY)

Been mixing it up on my free time with some other mediums I've been neglecting lately. And ahhh I really want to sit down and write a bunch about music but things have been busy and I want to make sure I have something for the BLT, so this may be a little neglected.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 05/11/2016 02:12
  • Post subject:
almost caught up!

5/8/16

1. A Moon Shaped Pool by Radiohead (FL16)
2. Zauberberg by Kassel Jaeger / Stephan Mathieu / Akira Rabelais
3. Summary Dismissal by Tim Albro & Tyler Keen
4. A Moon Shaped Pool by Radiohead

5/9/16

1. Singulacra by Sophia Loizou
2. Dreamboat by Dreamboat (US)
3. Trip-Tych / The Sound Paintings Of Michael Lobel by Michael Lobel
4. Work And Non Work by Broadcast (LTY)
5. A Moon Shaped Pool by Radiohead
6. Modern Pressure by Kane Ikin
7. Get In by Pita
8. Trés Prècieux Sang by Accident du Travail (FL16)

too lazy to add that Accident du Travail album that was selected for last week's ALC (and that I only got around to the other night) right now, but I will add it eventually, it's nice. But yeah, some good listening, I think the new radiohead is a nice listen tho there's a few tracks that bother me so I don't know where it really sits relative to everything else. like I really do not get the appeal of desert island disc at all. but there's some very well put together stuff on the album I'd say. but also ugh the hard panning, like I know that's a thing on old albums that people really like, but isn't that shit just really annoying on headphones? I mean it's not so bad on this album, but it does stick out for me and take me out a bit.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 05/12/2016 07:06
  • Post subject:
5/10/16

1. Island Row by Capitol K (LTY)
2. Ritual by Nico Gomez And His Afro Percussion Inc. (LTY)
3. Black Eyes by Black Eyes (LTY)
4. Painting With by Animal Collective
5. A Moon Shaped Pool by Radiohead
6. Schwarze Riesenfalter by Graham Lambkin & Michael Pisaro

5/11/16

1. Vignetting The Compost by Bibio
2. Entropicalia by The Soundcarriers
3. Represencing by Joshua Abrams
4. Ears by Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith
5. Doll Doll Doll by Venetian Snares (LTY)
6. Lunatic Harness by µ-Ziq
7. Piteous Gate by M.E.S.H.
8. The Curse Of Vale Do Lobo by Ambulance (LTY)

Yay I caught up! I think I've been slowing down on new listens (2016 or otherwise), lets take a look at the graph.

Yeah wow, that's been declining hard. And here we are more than a 3rd of the way in the month and I've only heard 5 things that are new to me. I think maybe I needed some time to get a little bit comfortable in the familiar, but I think I'm ready to spike that back up again. I'm so bad at it but I really should try and focus in, gather up some stuff that targets my blind spots and set some time aside each night to dig in a little. I was reading a bit about Scelsi and he seems like a composer I should know about, should really dig in on some Nono too. And get in on some more Feldman, and hmm maybe some of Stockhausen? There's still a bunch of his stuff I need to hear. Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I'll have to think about it for a bit.

Running Tally '16

First Listens: 193
Releases Listened This Year: 527
2016 Releases Listened: 90
Total Listens: 933
Only Listened Once: 349
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 05/14/2016 07:03
  • Post subject:
5/12/16

1. Too Crowded At The Delusional Ladder by Jar Moff (FL16)
2. Colliding Contours by Driftmachine
3. Get In by Pita
4. Too Crowded At The Delusional Ladder by Jar Moff
5. 1995 by Jega
6. Vixit by Valerio Tricoli (FL16)

5/13/16

1. Farthest Reaches by o9
2. Giacinto Scelsi: Aion; Pfhat; Konx-Om-Pax by Jürg Wyttenbach / Orchestre Et Chœur De La Radio-Télévision Polonaise De Cracovie (FL)
3. Musique Original De Films by Ahmed Malek (FL16)
4. A Moon Shaped Pool by Radiohead
5. Tri Repetae by Autechre
6. No Mercy Bad Poet by Gobby
7. Bottomless Pit by Death Grips (FL16)
8. Becoming N(one) by v1984 (FL16)
9. Interventions by Horse Lords
10. Sale_interiora by Norbert Möslang / Ilia Belorukov / Kurt Liedwart
11. Vixit by Valerio Tricoli

Ok now I think I'm back on track with getting new listening going. I was thinking that maybe I should start going down the Nurse With Wound list again, I've found a lot of great stuff poking around on it but haven't dug into it in a while. I'm thinking build up a backlog, and any day that's nearing the end and I haven't listened to anything new, I pull out something from there. But naturally I figure that out and then get my ears on the new Valerio Tricoli album (not on a Miseri Lanes lvl but still good!), Jar Moff drops a new thing on Vimeo, and then all this other stuff gets looking interesting... so yeah, no NWW list items today. And I'm definitely going to keep going with Scelsi, I really liked what I heard on that release there. But no matter what I should be getting in some listens to NWW list ppl, because even though I've never cared for NWW, they do have some pretty great taste.

Running Tally '16

First Listens: 199
Releases Listened This Year: 533
2016 Releases Listened: 95
Total Listens: 950
Only Listened Once: 351
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 05/18/2016 05:59
  • Post subject:
I will catch up later but everyone should listen to this song on the new Foodman album https://noumenalloom.bandcamp.com/track/jazz
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 05/19/2016 07:02
  • Post subject:
5/14/16

1. Rhyolite by Chris Kallmyer/Julia Holter/Lucky Dragons (FL16)
2. Different Selves by Shapednoise
3. Giacinto Scelsi: Quattro Pezzi Per Orch...; Uaxuctum by Jürg Wyttenbach / Orchestre Et Chœur De La Radio-Télévision Polonaise De Cracovie / Carmen Fournier / Tristan Murail (FL)
4. Am I Home? by Skeletons (FL16)
5. Ultimate Care II by Matmos

5/15/16

1. La Di Da Di by Battles
2. Ez Minzoku by FOODMAN (FL16)

5/16/16

1. Ambiq 2 by Max Loderbauer / Claudio Puntin / Samuel Rohrer (LTY)
2. Am I Home? by Skeletons
3. Channel Pressure by Ford & Lopatin (LTY)
4. Giacinto Scelsi: Hurqualia; Hymnos; Chukrum by Jürg Wyttenbach / Orchestre Et Chœur De La Radio-Télévision Polonaise De Cracovie (FL)
5. Traditional Music Of Notional Species Vol. 1 by Rashad Becker

5/17/16

1. Ez Minzoku by FOODMAN
2. Durations I-V; Coptic Light by Morton Feldman (FL)
3. Cognition / Observation by Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe
4. VEGA INTL. Night School by Neon Indian
5. Ez Minzoku by FOODMAN

5/18/16

1. For Good by Fog
2. Quatermass by Tod Dockstader
3. Fire Of God's Love by Sister Irene O'Connor (FL)
4. Ez Minzoku by FOODMAN

Really digging this Foodman album, I'd heard people talking about him the past couple of years, but never really investigated too much. This seems a bit weirder than I remember, like before there was more of a connection to footwork I think? And I guess the rhythm of that is still in here, but there's something about how it's put together that makes it seem really bonkers to me.

Also just today someone called my attention to this weird Sister Irene O'Connor album from 73, the vocals get sorta reminiscent of Trish Keenan, but like if she was really into God. There's some drum machine and other electronics, it's a really peculiar record. I was all ready to add it to the database, but of course it was already on Exit Sense's 70's chart.

And yes, I did listen to Channel Pressure because seeing the "Too Much Music" thread kept getting Too Much Midi stuck in my head. That's a fun one though, I should really pull it out more.

Running Tally '16

First Listens: 206
Releases Listened This Year: 543
2016 Releases Listened: 98
Total Listens: 971
Only Listened Once: 357
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 05/22/2016 23:09
  • Post subject:
catchin up

5/19/16

1. Elseq 1-5 by Autechre (FL16)
2. Bad Timing by Jim O'Rourke
3. Oto Redactions by Keith Fullerton Whitman

5/20/16

1. Am I Home? by Skeletons
2. Elseq 1-5 by Autechre
3. Ez Minzoku by FOODMAN
4. Rest In Fleas by Cloud Becomes Your Hand (FL16)
5. Medium Rude by Reed Evan Rosenberg & Ethan Tripp
6. First Record by Petr Kotik (FL)

5/21/16

1. La Fabbrica Illuminata; Ha Venido, Canc... Auschwitz by Luigi Nono (FL)
2. Field Recordings From The Cook County Water Table by Brokeback (FL)
3. Pale Calling by Oren Ambarchi / Kassel Jaeger / James Rushford
4. Water Above Sky Below Now by Pauline Oliveros And Ione
5. When We Were Eating Unripe Pears by Bee Mask
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 05/25/2016 02:31
  • Post subject:
5/22/16

1. LP (2015) by Container (LTY)
2. Magnetoception by Joshua Abrams
3. Future Days by Can
4. Crepuscular Hour by Maja S.K. Ratkje (FL16)
5. Earrings Off! by Adult Jazz (FL16)
6. Dominions by Sarah Davachi (FL16)
7. Ez Minzoku by FOODMAN

5/23/16

1. Field Recordings From The Cook County Water Table by Brokeback
2. Interventions by Horse Lords
3. Antico Adagio by Lino Capra Vaccina
4. Under The Sun by Mark Pritchard (FL16)
5. Elseq 1-5 by Autechre (completed on 5/24)

5/24/16

1. RY30 Trax by µ-Ziq (FL16)
2. Centipede Hz by Animal Collective
3. Between by Keith Rowe & Toshimaru Nakamura (FL)

This Rowe & Nakamura one is kinda long, and I'll probably finish the night in the dubtrack noise room, so I might as well post this now. Because I hit 1,000 listens! An arbitrary milestone, but on the other hand, there's 3 zeros! So that's pretty cool.

I'm so lazy about adding things to the DB rn. Like this Rowe & Nakamura thing has to be added, it is fantastic. And the µ-Ziq archival thing, I think I might like it more than his other one from this year, tho it's still not on the level of Jega's or anything. Crepuscular Hour seemed really cool but I need more listens on it, it'll probably make my list at the end of the year tho. Adult Jazz is kind of a wtf tho. Like there's 4 songs and 3 interludes, and I'm only really into some of the songs. So the whole thing just feels so slight, I dunno, I'm probably not gonna bother adding it, so hopefully someone else does so that I can have the cover art in here when I listen to it again. And then there's that Sarah Davachi thing, which is really good, maybe my favorite thing I've heard from her? But again, need more listens. I'll probably add that soon tho. And then the Mark Pritchard thing, I really thought someone would've added that, like there's a track with Thom Yorke on it! It's an interesting album, like there's echoes of Global Communication and Harmonic 33 but he's definitely going for something different on this album. Again, need more listens. This is difficult since I have now spent 12 hours with the new Autechre album, which now sits on the very top of my year chart. I feel like that's gonna take up a decent amount of my time. I am OK with this.

Running Tally '16

First Listens: 217
Releases Listened This Year: 556
2016 Releases Listened: 105
Total Listens: 1000
Only Listened Once: 366
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 05/27/2016 02:22
  • Post subject:
I think I'm just gonna stop posting the listening lists here. I'll still be keeping track of the year's listening so I'll probably post graphs occasionally.

But hey! That means that when you see a post in here, it will contain valuable information for sure! Like right now here's some stuff that's come out today:

PAN records has finally put out something for the year! A new M.E.S.H. EP. Give it a listen http://www.factmag.com/2016/05/26/mesh-...-merc-pan/

FACT mag also have a stream of this new thing on NNA Tapes, Fox/Soper Duo - Magenta Line. It's like this really aggressive noisy synth and drum combo, I haven't listened to Icy Demons in forever but I feel like they were sorta on this tip? This is a really cool thing tho, I recommend it http://www.factmag.com/2016/05/25/greg-...ne-stream/

the Haino / O'Rourke / Ambarchi trio, responsible for some of the greatest song titles of our generation, have a new one called "I wonder if you noticed “I’m sorry” Is such a lovely sound It keeps things from getting worse". I haven't given it a listen yet but I'm looking forward to it.

and then in other electronic music happenings, there's new ones from Lone, Debruit, this Second Woman album on Spectrum Spools is probably cool, and SS also have a new Prostitutes album out, and then Edition Mego have something out from someone named Klara Lewis that I should probably investigate, Helm has a collaboration out with someone named Decimus, and Pye Corner Audio has a split with Dalhous. And then there's probably other stuff, there sure is a lot of stuff that comes out.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 05/27/2016 06:20
  • Post subject:
Ok no, it wasn't Icy Demons I was thinking of. Tho it was fun to go back and listen to their first album "Fight Back!", a really nice little indie sort of thing with a heavy focus on the instrumental bits but some occasional singing. But way far off of what I was thinking of. Like this band had icy synths (hence my confusion) and drums, and I think that was it. I figured I'd must of heard it via a connection to a drummer I already knew at the time, or maybe it was on kill rock stars/5rc but I was looking thru discogs and could not figure it out.

I also ended up getting a listen in on the Lone and Second Woman albums. Second Woman continues this annoying trend of dudes using feminine language in band names for no discernible reason, but had a really cool thing going with a Mark Fell sort of approach to severely impractical IDM, I dug it. Lone I'm sort of getting diminishing returns on, I really liked Galaxy Garden but these followups have been a little too focused on re-contextualizing specific parts of dance music past, I don't know, it just isn't hitting me so deep. Still a good listen and I'll jam it a bit more I'm sure, but I don't think it'll have the staying power of GG.

5/26
Running Tally '16

First Listens: 222
Releases Listened This Year: 563
2016 Releases Listened: 110
Total Listens: 1014
Only Listened Once: 370
  • Visit poster's website