Album of the day (#1240): The Wall by Pink Floyd

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Silver
  • Posted: 04/18/2014 00:02
  • Post subject:
One of the few albums I would consider offensively bad, up there with the Joshua Trees and Definitely Maybes and An Awesome Waves of the world. It's the sound of an already preachy, self-righteous, whiny man at his peak in all those categories. A bunch of horrible ideas forced into an awful narrative, bereft of any remotely interesting musical ideas, as to go on the strength of its lyrics and story alone. It did not work out. I honestly can't stand Roger Waters and this is basically a Waters solo album. Pink Floyd were one of my favorite bands as a kid, but now I really only like the Barrett era stuff and Meddle, with some nostalgic love for Wish You Were Here as well.
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States
  • Posted: 04/18/2014 00:08
  • Post subject:
SilverWalrus wrote:
One of the few albums I would consider offensively bad, up there with the Joshua Trees and Definitely Maybes and An Awesome Waves of the world. It's the sound of an already preachy, self-righteous, whiny man at his peak in all those categories. A bunch of horrible ideas forced into an awful narrative, bereft of any remotely interesting musical ideas, as to go on the strength of its lyrics and story alone. It did not work out. I honestly can't stand Roger Waters and this is basically a Waters solo album. Pink Floyd were one of my favorite bands as a kid, but now I really only like the Barrett era stuff and Meddle, with some nostalgic love for Wish You Were Here as well.

All fine albums, to be honest.

But whatevs...

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Mies
  • Posted: 04/18/2014 00:10
  • Post subject:
Big and famous albums always get some hate. The Wall has its weacknesses, and everyone knows, but it still gives deep feelings to many people. So it deserves to be considered a classic.
Silver
  • Posted: 04/18/2014 00:12
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
All fine albums, to be honest.

But whatevs...

I'm glad you get something out of them, they clearly do more for you than me.
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States
  • Posted: 04/18/2014 00:13
  • Post subject:
SilverWalrus wrote:
I'm glad you get something out of them, they clearly do more for you than me.

Right.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland
  • Posted: 04/18/2014 00:21
  • Post subject:
An Awesome Wave offensively bad? I know opinions are relative, but there has to be positive things to note about AAW (and the other records) even if you don't like it. I mean I can see the good in records I dislike, so this confounds me a little I guess.

Also, seems like every "offensively bad" record that becomes AOTD you seem to have an axe to grind about it instead of moving on when you've stated the opinion before? Think

Last edited by mickilennial on 04/18/2014 00:22; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
yourself
  • Posted: 04/18/2014 00:21
  • Post subject:
Not brilliant by any means but not horrible either. I still like the trial, comfortably numb and some others. As simple and kinda dumb a melody as it is, I enjoy how the another brick in the wall melody/theme gets brought back in a few different places (ie. somewhere in waiting for the worms).
Silver
  • Posted: 04/18/2014 00:39
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
An Awesome Wave offensively bad? I know opinions are relative, but there has to be positive things to note about AAW (and the other records) even if you don't like it. I mean I can see the good in records I dislike, so this confounds me a little I guess.

Also, seems like every "offensively bad" record that becomes AOTD you seem to have an axe to grind about it instead of moving on when you've stated the opinion before? Think

I mean, some of the instrumental parts of An Awesome Wave are pleasant at least, but as a whole the album annoys the hell out of me and the singer has one of my least favorite voices of all time. I just think it's a dreadfully boring album, which is also at times infuriating (Fitzpleasure is just atrocious).

And I don't know, my posting habits are odd and based on whim. I guess there's no more need to say I dislike The Joshua Tree or Oasis, but just going with what I feel like. I would post more on the albums that I like but most of the time other people have way more interesting things to say about them. Like the other day I feel like I couldn't add anything else to the Astral Weeks discussion, people have that down way better than me, despite the fact that I love the album. And I haven't been listening to too much new music lately, so I don't have much to say about that either. If it's any consolation, there are only a handful of albums that I really dislike, and knowing how the AOTD system works they probably won't be selected for a while now.
  • Posted: 04/18/2014 11:48
  • Post subject:
People who say they think this or any other cliche worst-album-of-all-time is worst album of all-time don't get the irony that they are simply twins of those who think Sgt. Pepper or any other cliche best-album-of-all-time is best album of all-time. They say so simply because there's a tradition of saying so. No way you can get to the idea of an album being the worst of all time on yourself.

Warning note: I've never liked this album. Even 13 year-old me who listened to this for the first time didn't like it; didn't hate it but also didn't think it was on par with any other Pink Floyd album that he had heard (DSotM, WYWH, Piper) up until that time.
Grzywa

Poland
  • Posted: 04/18/2014 11:51
  • Post subject:
It has its moments, but as a whole it's just boring. I've only managed to get to the end in one take like twice and not planning to ever do it again.