BEA's Year-End List Extra: The Most Controversial Albums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 02/12/2015 20:11
  • Post subject:
LevonTostig wrote:

I respect you giving it a few tries, but that's really quite the opposite of what this record represents.

To whom?
LevonTostig

• Posted: 02/12/2015 20:15
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
To whom?

To anyone who understands why it was written and developed.
This is about to become the same debate as the Point of Discussion thread. Laughing
Saoirse

• Posted: 02/12/2015 20:15
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
more like the war on good music amirite

hey now, it's the War On Interesting Music, see my trademark or Im suing

Anyways, no I don't think Lost in the Dream is terrible- just nothing that I haven't already heard from better, more personal records. It's just that feeling of competant craft but somewhat disingenious "emotional" center that makes the whole thing seem rather boring and somewhat deja-vu. And again, yes, it's just baffling to see it end up on nearly every single top 10 record, often at the very top. How is this anybody's FAVORITE album? An album people like, sure, but there's at least hundreds of other records released in 2014 that are more daring and, yes, more genuinely heartfelt than this. And my god aren't they white, like the whitest band, like white on white toast smacked up against a pale white wall.

And run the jewels 2- yeah I agree fun and energetic release but not the most amazing or most profound thing out there today.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 02/12/2015 20:18
  • Post subject:
LevonTostig wrote:
To anyone who understands why it was written and developed.
This is about to become the same debate as the Point of Discussion thread. Laughing

No it isn't, because I already gave my position pretty clearly in that thread. I suggest you reread my posts. It's fine if you like the album, my feelings about it have nothing to do with you personally.
LevonTostig

• Posted: 02/12/2015 20:22
  • Post subject:
Saoirse wrote:
And my god aren't they white, like the whitest band, like white on white toast smacked up against a pale white wall

I guess I'm becoming the lone adamant defender of The War On Drugs. :I Seriously, why does this matter? We would never criticize a band made up of black artists for being "so black" or something absurd like that. We act like they're somehow ignorant because of their race to "real problems" when really we have no idea what these guys are like.

Last edited by LevonTostig on 02/12/2015 20:26; edited 1 time in total
LevonTostig

• Posted: 02/12/2015 20:23
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
No it isn't, because I already gave my position pretty clearly in that thread. I suggest you reread my posts. It's fine if you like the album, my feelings about it have nothing to do with you personally.

I was joking, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Except about liking the album, of course.
Saoirse

• Posted: 02/12/2015 20:27
  • Post subject:
LevonTostig wrote:
I guess I'm becoming the lone adamant defender of The War On Drugs. :I Seriously, why does this matter? We would never criticize a band made up of black artists for being "so black" or something absurd like that. We act like they're somehow ignorant because of their race to "real problems" when really we have no idea what these guys are really like.

haha Im totally joking, that's just what Mark Kozelek (probably drunk or on drugs or just being Kozelek) was spewing out when it seems like everything he was talking about was how The War On Drugs sucked. Personally, no I like a lot of "white people music" (and all the other music out there Wink) I never really saw it that way I just found it funny a white guy like Kozelek was all of a sudden hampering on The War On Drugs "whiteness". I donno, I didn't mean to start a racially-charged discussion here, so... um...

Link
LevonTostig

• Posted: 02/12/2015 20:31
  • Post subject:
Saoirse wrote:
haha Im totally joking, that's just what Mark Kozelek (probably drunk or on drugs or just being Kozelek)

Ha, yeah, I read about that. He even recorded a song about it, right?

It's sorta funny to think about while listening to a song like Grace Cathedral Park..."this guy got on to The War On Drugs for being 'too white'?"
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 02/12/2015 20:37
  • Post subject:
Love Lost in the Dream (and RTJ2) and it was my aoty before i heard Pinata. Personally I relate to it pretty well, and while I admit it's not adventurous or unique I'd say it's at least a fresh take on 80s rock. I certainly feel it delves deeper than some albums (think, like, anything by Vampire Weekend) in terms of discussing actual problems, though more abstractly and not as deeply as, say, Benji. Still I like it more than Benji, but I won't tell Mark Kozelek to suck my cock because that would be immature and unprovoked. I'll imply it though.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 02/12/2015 20:41
  • Post subject:
Not every single record I dig has to be “world changing social commentary”, so I have no issues with Lost in the Dream as an album. For me I like the sounds it conveys as it skirts the line of heartland rock, indie rock, and the bits in-between. It’s almost like if Tom Petty decided it would be a neat idea to collaborate with an indie rock band who has making strides for a new sense of expression—that’s what it feels like to me even though obviously Tom Petty is not in The War on Drugs. This doesn’t remind me of homogenized suburbia, though if it did say remind me of suburban society I would have no issues with it, I have no great discontent for the “middle class” or whatever. The criticism seems rather phoned in to me… I don’t know, it’s not like you expressed larger prose for me understand why it sort of offends you.

It’s a pleasant record with sounds I really like, much like the Beck record and that’s fine by me.

Last edited by mickilennial on 02/12/2015 22:19; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website