50%
 50%  [29]
Total Votes : 57

LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/06/2018 20:34
  • Post subject:
manurock wrote:
I abstained; I like both as much. Maybe a little more Britpop because Oasis' hymns and Pulp's Different Class touch me more than any Grunge but then I appreciate how Grunge got into the mainstream (MTV!) while being so different to the pop-rock most people were used to, and I highly respect musicians like Eddie Vedder.

This is what I admire the most. Bands who do what they like and then unexpectedly break into mainstream. That's why I like grunge (apart from great music). And "hymns" is a correct word, Britpop really had/has those huge songs...

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/06/2018 20:35
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
So much truth.

Britpop, to me, is the absolutely worst genre ever.

But I like Blur at times...

AT TIMES.

That's a pretty bold statement haha. How can someone who loves U2, Coldplay and The Beatles so much dislike Britpop so hard? I mean, what game-changing differences may make Coldplay's pop-rock some of the best ever while making Pulp's belong to the "worst genre ever"? Or did I take you too literally?

I get what you are saying, a little. Again, I like a bit of Blur and usually can't stand Oasis, but I think if you compare these two songs, you'll quickly understand where I'm coming from. Please tell me you understand the, imo, MASSIVE difference.

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/06/2018 20:35
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Anyone who says Britpop is a dumpster fire hasn't listened to anything but the tip of the iceberg.

Same applies for grunge imo. You don't necessarily have to like Nirvana, but there are so many other fantastic bands...

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 01/06/2018 20:39
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
There’s a lot of good Britpop albums in-between the sea of mediocrity that came after The Stone Roses’ debut. I can, however, say with confidence that Grunge simply had a wider catalog of better albums – but maybe that’s because Grunge was even more oversaturated in terms of releases than Britpop was. Vote for Grunge. But love for both. Anyone who says Britpop is a dumpster fire hasn't listened to anything but the tip of the iceberg.

This is likely true in my case. I've yet to find a britpop album besides 13 from Blur that I could like. Didn't really get into Sade (if that's britpop) and the majority of what I have tasted was incredibly shallow for me.

I really don't like The Stone Roses (maybe that resurrection song is ok, but to say that album is amazing is hard for me to swallow - yet I know status quo around here is that it is better than the album I consider one of the greatest of all time The Joshua Tree).

Of course this is my taste. Perhaps music that is a bit heartless is what people are after.

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 01/06/2018 20:48; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 01/06/2018 20:45
  • Post subject:
I think another thing I have a problem with is that I feel the early 90s was an explosion of amazing music into what was mostly listened to.

What was mostly listened to in the late 90s was near garbage. It was an explosion of terrible pop music, including boy bands, "divas", britpop, and pop punk (in America). Oh and lest we forget NuMetal, a genre Scarufffififiu himself somehow thinks is valuable. It was just a terrible terrible TERRIBLE time in music for me.

Furthermore, Grunge or early 90s alternative rock competes with the greatest music out of one of the other greatest times in music - 1966-1973ish. Look at the charts and top musicians. Sure you can argue that numbers don't matter, but it is an indicator of what I'm talking about.

Britpop really could be something forever forgotten and I really wouldn't be missing anything.

What's funny though is I like the Gorillaz, you know a bit at least. and 13 is a pretty good album. But nothing along the likes of what was happening in Grunge (which to me is a joke genre, it really is just alternative rock, imo... Sure, it's worthy to note the explosion with Mudhoney, Pearl Jam, etc. all out of Seattle (which is funny cause half of Pearl Jam is from Southern California... but whatevs).

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 01/06/2018 20:50; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/06/2018 20:46
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
This is what I admire the most. Bands who do what they like and then unexpectedly break into mainstream. That's why I like grunge (apart from great music). And "hymns" is a correct word, Britpop really had/has those huge songs...

Ha thought you were referencing an album. They were hymns to some so yeah of course.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 01/06/2018 20:50
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
This is likely true in my case. I've yet to find a britpop album besides 13 from Blur that I could like. Didn't really get into Sade (if that's britpop) and the majority of what I have tasted was incredibly shallow for me.

If it’s any use, my favorite Britpop records are as follows:
  • Dog Man Star by Suede
  • Elastica by Elastica
  • Everything Must Go by Manic Street Preachers
  • Lovelife by Lush
  • Modern Life Is Rubbish by Blur
  • The Stone Roses by The Stone Roses
  • In It for the Money by Supergrass
  • Urban Hymns by The Verve

sethmadsen wrote:
Britpop really could be something forever forgotten and I really wouldn't be missing anything.

What's funny though is I like the Gorillaz, you know a bit at least. and 13 is a pretty good album. But nothing along the likes of what was happening in Grunge (which to me is a joke genre, it really is just alternative rock, imo... Sure, it's worthy to note the explosion with Mudhoney, Pearl Jam, etc. all out of Seattle (which is funny cause half of Pearl Jam is from Southern California... but whatevs).

I think the sentiment here is absolute garbage. Britpop owes its existence of sounds coming out of the alternative and independent music scenes as much as it owes itself to the mod rock and power pop of the past. It is not just a “throwaway genre” and it is pretty well documented why the Manchester sound took off. Just because you don’t like a handful of the slosh that came out (I mean you like Coldplay who owes their entire existence to the Manchester indie scene) doesn’t mean it is worthless.

Also, anyone who is knowledgeable in grunge is more than aware it is more than “alternative music” given the other genres that it owes its existence to. There is a difference between the generalized alternative music of the era and the grunge scene that propped up in the eighties.

Last edited by mickilennial on 01/06/2018 20:56; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/06/2018 20:51
  • Post subject:
Did britpop have much impact in the USA at the time? I know Oasis were popular but other than that I'm not sure.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 01/06/2018 20:55
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
If it’s any use, my favorite Britpop records are as follows:
  • Dog Man Star by Suede
  • Elastica by Elastica
  • Everything Must Go by Manic Street Preachers
  • Lovelife by Lush
  • Modern Life Is Rubbish by Blur
  • The Stone Roses by The Stone Roses
  • In It for the Money by Supergrass
  • Urban Hymns by The Verve

Thanks!

I remember liking some songs from The Verve, but wasn't crazy about the album. As I said already I really can't stand The Stone Roses. My pick for Blur's best album (which mostly isn't britpop) is 13.

Suede... idk, I wasn't interested in that album. It wasn't bad, but wasn't good either.

Is Everything Must Go by Manic Street Preachers anything like The Holy Bible? That album I actually got into a bit.

Supergrass, Lush, and Elastica, I'll have to check out.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 01/06/2018 20:58
  • Post subject:
Graeme2 wrote:
Did britpop have much impact in the USA at the time? I know Oasis were popular but other than that I'm not sure.

Not all that much that I can see from what I’ve read; was definitely a scene that catered more to the British taste.

Last edited by mickilennial on 01/06/2018 21:03; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website