BEA Presents: DommeDamian's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
theblueboy

• Posted: 04/26/2021 10:45
  • Post subject:
This is epic and I like the list so far. Yeah, there's a few controversial music opinions in these choices already (Aqua!) but that's to be expected Smile
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 04/26/2021 11:33
  • Post subject:
This is great so far, I'm interested to see where it ends up. Honestly I think the new 2020 RS chart is a huge improvement over the original from 2003 or whenever. 2 of my 3 biggest problems with the original chart still remain though: too little representation of non-US/UK artists (which I suppose is to be expected of an American publication unfortunately), and arguably my biggest peeve: too many damn compilations. Especially when for artists like Elvis, Chuck Berry, or Al Green there are actual great studio (or live) albums to choose from. It seems like so far you've done a great job remediating my qualms with the source list.

So, nice work so far, I'm interested to see where it goes.
theblueboy

• Posted: 04/29/2021 11:31
  • Post subject:
I really like all this. Similar to what I've tried to achieve with my own chart (which focuses on cultural impact). Only I honestly think this is much better because of the greater depth and diversity of the chart and the amount of effort put in. I dig the fact it's kind of pop orientated but without dumbing down or losing track of other genres.

Only had one look through so far but looks like persuasive choices throughout. Maybe there could be some more techno/ambient electronic and jazz (via Kraftwerk and Miles Davis?) Not sure, I'll look for those artists next time I scan through.

I'm certain I'll look through this some more and take some inspiration for my own chart.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/29/2021 15:15
  • Post subject:
Neat.

Good job DommeDamian. Smile

I've never bothered expanding my chart to over 100. I'm terrible at ranking anyway. I imagine it would be a mess.
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 04/29/2021 15:26
  • Post subject:
Thanks for the heads up that this was finished! This is a really neat project. I think my qualm about compilations was largely addressed by you, although I may recommend swapping out that Patsy Cline "Ultimate Collection" with Showcase or Sentimentally Yours. That's really nitpicking though.

Overall great work. After pretty much every album in the top 25, I thought "ooh but which one's gonna be #1 now?" and... Thriller fits so well.

I should also add following up on Hayden's comment that I did attempt to bring my list out to 1,000 albums but everything past 150 or so is a total mess, I'd love to clean up the whole thing a little more.

Also to theblueboy's comments: IMO there could always be more jazz and ambient/electronic music, but you did a much better job than RS at incorporating those genres so it feels right to me!
kokkinos

• Posted: 04/29/2021 16:23
  • Post subject:
This must have taken a monumental effort to complete. I got overwhelmed just by looking at it.
I understand it's Impossible to keep everyone satisfied, so no complaints regarding your picks.
What would be even greater is a short comment on each album, explaining your thought process, what makes it great etc., but I know this is asking wayyy too much, I doubt I would ever find the courage to do something similar, fantastic job no matter what. Applause Applause Applause
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 04/29/2021 18:30
  • Post subject:
Thx for the feedback so far everyone. As I wrote, it has taken me 7 months (intermittently) to complete.
I understand if you maybe has some complaints somewhere, I have myself ( Laughing ), but no worries.
@kokkinos I've thought about either adding a little comment stating its influence and popularity (Rolling Stone and 300 other industry-musicians VS one random 20-year-old Dane) but a description for each is full-time job, and keep in mind - I personally do not like all these albums myself. Either that or maybe ask some of you guys to write a descriptions for some of your favorites here; just like RS, there was write-up's of multiple people on the albums, and they were pretty decent but not that original.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 04/29/2021 20:14
  • Post subject:
DommeDamian wrote:
maybe ask some of you guys to write a descriptions for some of your favorites here; just like RS, there was write-up's of multiple people on the albums

Supposing we can get enough people engaged in such a project, which I highly doubt, this would be a great idea.
Assuming each one takes about 50 albums - which is an extremely ambitious number, using it mainly for discussion's sake - it would require at least 10 of us.
Anyway, I 'd be glad to participate, if anyone else is interested as well, please show up and we'll see if we can work it out.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 04/30/2021 06:27
  • Post subject:
DommeDamian wrote:
(Rolling Stone and 300 other industry-musicians VS one random 20-year-old Dane)

Judging by the thoughtful comments or lack thereof on RS's last list, I'm taking a random Dane here Very Happy Also this is a huge project, props to you for completing the list. I know I'd get sidetracked after the first 250.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/30/2021 17:09
  • Post subject:
Awesome!
Good effort man.
Some interesting picks. Can't deny your number one is a powerful album.
Mature choices. And quite a few rec's to listen to now.
Applause
  • Visit poster's website