Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States
  • Posted: 06/13/2023 02:26
  • Post subject:
cestuneblague wrote:
Did they really censor EDIT "modify a scene" EDIT The French Connection on criterion channel? This is getting to be too much, fine whatever put content/historical warnings or such but don't make alterations especially if it's not even with the approval of those who actually made the movie.

that's nuts. which scene? and for what reason given?

Reminds me of the small changes that were made in classic Roald Dahl stories a few years. Some people are just busy bodies and it's annoying.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
MadhattanJack
Just to end the list...

United States
  • Posted: 06/13/2023 05:28
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
that's nuts. which scene? and for what reason given?

It's fairly early in the film, when Gene Hackman meets Roy Scheider at the station and uses the n-word in suggesting that people of African heritage are untrustworthy, though he then sort-of corrects himself by saying that everyone is untrustworthy.

This guy explains it in detail:

Link

And, of course, there's this:

Link
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States
  • Posted: 06/13/2023 07:59
  • Post subject:
I didn't hear about this until today. Thanks for the vid, Madhattan, it explains everything. So Disney is trying to course-correct history to appeal to modern sensibilities by editing The French Connection, eh? Maybe leaving the film as is, but with an introductory trigger warning would have been better? It would have respected the art, but also informed viewers they're gonna see/hear something offensive. Or here's a crazy thought...no edit nor trigger warning. Leave the movie as is, and simply trust/respect the audience to understand the historical context in which the film exists?
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 06/13/2023 15:52
  • Post subject:
yeah the fact that they seemingly tried to do this basically secretly without any notice that this film is edited or altered feels dishonest and cheap, even if it was done with "good intentions" (Criterion Channel especially, since they've always gone on about preserving classic film in it's entirity). It's now just going to make me question from here on in if, when I'm watching something on one of these services for the first time, I'm actually watching the full and unaltered version. Again this is where I find Historical Context/Content warnings a decent compromise, even if I don't pay attention to them for those who are really apprehensive about engaging with potentially offensive or triggering content they can be fine and perhaps do a persuasive job explaining that yes things that are rightfully considered offensive today used to be more common and accepted even in professional settings in the past (and especially in this case, where one of the main offenders is presented as the flawed but still righteous anti-hero). However, don't edit anything or remove episodes or whatnot as well as it's important to note that trying to whitewash history to make it appeal to more modern and enlightened views does more harm than good, if you don't like that some past movies or shows have content you find offensive make sure that filmmakers/showrunners do better in the present. I still think everyone has the right to make their own choice about what art they want to engage with and streaming companies really shouldn't be dishonest like this going forward or else it's just more needless fuel into the culture war fire.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 06/13/2023 16:17
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
I didn't hear about this until today. Thanks for the vid, Madhattan, it explains everything. So Disney is trying to course-correct history to appeal to modern sensibilities by editing The French Connection, eh? Maybe leaving the film as is, but with an introductory trigger warning would have been better? It would have respected the art, but also informed viewers they're gonna see/hear something offensive. Or here's a crazy thought...no edit nor trigger warning. Leave the movie as is, and simply trust/respect the audience to understand the historical context in which the film exists?

Yeah I think everybody's intelligence should be respected and I think everybody knows (at least should know) that yes things were different back then regarding all forms of racial/sexual politics and yes it's great that we have evolved considerably even if bigotry obviously hasn't been completely eradicated. But it's this weird thing now that everything that we now easily find offensive and are clearly aware that it is bad even if it was more commonly accepted back then has to now be loudly, explicitly condemed even retroactively, which is also where i find this increasing turn towards censorship- even when both the artistic and mainly progressive communities used to find things like that abhorrent.

Anyways, a modern rant but maybe time to turn back to the seventies in a more positive fashion without this thread going off the rails (again I'm sorry for that, this incident I just found really irksome and maybe just leave it at that).
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada
  • Posted: 06/13/2023 23:26
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
So Disney is trying to course-correct history to appeal to modern sensibilities by editing The French Connection, eh?

I agree with everything you said, but it was Criterion. Took be a double take— definitely feels more like something Disney would do.

Not a clue what they're thinking. Surely they're not going to go through the entire collection and sensor stuff Laughing — you've got some doozies in there.
CA Dreamin

United States
  • Posted: 06/14/2023 01:54
  • Post subject:
^ If I understood the video MadhattanJack linked correctly, Disney acquired the distribution rights to French Connection when they bought Fox. Thus, they send all the digital copies to streamers such as Apple, Amazon, Criterion, etc. And apparently, all the streams on all the services have the scene removed. That sounds fishy. That sounds like Disney removed the scene.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada
  • Posted: 06/14/2023 02:17
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
^ If I understood the video MadhattanJack linked correctly, Disney acquired the distribution rights to French Connection when they bought Fox. Thus, they send all the digital copies to streamers such as Apple, Amazon, Criterion, etc. And apparently, all the streams on all the services have the scene removed. That sounds fishy. That sounds like Disney removed the scene.

My bad CA Think - I didn’t watch the video and wasn’t quite in the loop you were referring to it. I thought the edit was just by Criterion.

I’ll give the vid a watch.
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States
  • Posted: 06/14/2023 04:43
  • Post subject:
Yeah, I watched that a few days ago (I like Dan, he's a pretty good dude) and what he goes on to explain is that he personally reached out to Criterion, and they told him that they have whatever version of the film is given to them, so Disney must've have edited the film and then distributed it to streamers. Which begs the question, what other films have they done this to? (Because they certainly wouldn't just do it to this one.) And what poor son of a bitch has the job of watching the entire Fox film catalog for censoring purposes? Do they have a whole censorship division? I mean, I've always had problems with Disney's business practices, but this is reaching a new low.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 06/22/2023 15:31
  • Post subject:
Is Rabid Dogs eligible, a 1974 film that wasn't released until the 90s?
  • Visit poster's website