Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/09/2014 00:33
  • Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:
Not at all, I just don't understand when people use terms like 'too white' to describe albums such as this.

When describing music like blues, it's pretty much a mention of how whitewashed the record feels in comparison to the more worldly, experienced blues musicians. This goes to say when any cultural group goes into another cultural groups genre enthusiastically, but not with the same emotions or experiences. I understand it and Mercury words it well in the post above yours.

But I wouldn't call Zeppelin's body of work "too white" but it certainly lacks the same passion, emotion, and experience that makes blues wonderful to the point it seems like a half-baked emulation rather than a sincere addition to the style of music.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 03/09/2014 00:57
  • Post subject:
Let's not confuse blues rock with the blues. While the former was most definitely inspired by the latter, it is a very different thing, both musically and culturally. As Mercury said, a blues musician is communicating the frustration of poverty and racial oppression. The language they use for this expression is a set of simple musical forms, forms which were adopted by British bands and combined with rock music in the mid-60s. But just because they use similar musical forms and even many of the same stylistic elements doesn't mean they're trying to achieve the same thing. The best blues rock musicians drew from their own experiences, not the experiences of an ethnic group living on an entirely different continent. That the end result was less bleak and tormented was an inevitable consequence of the fact that white Brits had it a bit easier than African Americans.

But I don't think there's anything wrong with blues rock, it's just different. Robert Plant probably was going for a more sexy and sophisticated feel than Howlin' Wolf because there was no way he was really going to relate to the torment of the black man. It may not have even occurred to him to try, to be honest... I think that's a large part of the reason blues rock first blossomed in the UK. There's so much more cultural baggage that goes along with it when a white American sings in a blues-like style.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/09/2014 01:08
  • Post subject:
Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of blues-rock I adore, but what Zeppelin was achieving on their early records I've come to terms was not that. Jones-era The Rolling Stones, The Bluesbreakers, Cream, Johnny Otis, The Black Crowes, Robert Cray's more rock-oriented material, Gov't Mule, The White Stripes, Joe Bonamassa, Grace Potter, and Joan Osborne are just some examples where I think it works for what I'm looking for.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 03/09/2014 01:14
  • Post subject:
SilverWalrus wrote:
Shit lyrics, boring songwriting, white blues rock wankery that I got tired of 7 years ago, one of the most annoying singers I can think of in music, and just a general dislike for them and the respect they get. That last one is a bit unfair, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't an influence.

Wow, I'm not sure I could have more accurately summed up my own feelings towards Led Zeppelin. This album is decent, though, as is LZIII. Just nothing I'd feel like putting on for myself.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 03/09/2014 01:16
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of blues-rock I adore, but what Zeppelin was achieving on their early records I've come to terms was not that. Jones-era The Rolling Stones, The Bluesbreakers, Cream, Johnny Otis, The Black Crowes, Robert Cray's more rock-oriented material, Gov't Mule, The White Stripes, Joe Bonamassa, Grace Potter, and Joan Osborne are just some examples where I think it works for what I'm looking for.

Sure sure, I'm not saying that everybody should like Led Zeppelin, I just think there's a little bit of apples and oranges comparison going on here.

• Posted: 03/09/2014 01:17
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Sure sure, I'm not saying that everybody should like Led Zeppelin, I just think there's a little bit of apples and oranges comparison going on here.

Oranges > Apples

Sue me.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 03/09/2014 01:21
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
Oranges > Apples

Sue me.

If someone asked you why you don't like apples, would you say that it's because they're not oranges?

• Posted: 03/09/2014 01:29
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
If someone asked you why you don't like apples, would you say that it's because they're not oranges?

I do like apples. You've not making any sense.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 03/09/2014 06:34
  • Post subject:
Simply one of the greatest albums ever. I have to be selective about listening to "How Many More Times" because it's guaranteed orgasm.
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 03/09/2014 06:43
  • Post subject:
Oh and I'm pretty sure JMan wanted me to pass along that we should not forget that this is his favorite British Invasion album outside of Rumours. BUT the greatest/best album ever is still Led Zeppelin IV.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website