• Posted: 04/11/2016 02:08
  • Post subject:
Dang, I've only given five fifties features five stars:
*Alice in Wonderland
*The Seven-Year Itch
*The Human Condition
*The Music Room
*The Life of Oharu

There's a good bit of other stuff I love from then, but this will still be an uphill battle for me. John Lennon once said regarding music history that "Before Elvis, there was nothing", and even though we all know that's bullshit, replacing "Elvis" with "Breathless" is pretty apt for me.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 04/11/2016 02:21
  • Post subject:
Fantastic.

The big shocker is Blow-Up in the top 10. Wasn't expecting that at all. And I really enjoy it, despite the fact that it was low on my list. I need to watch that one again; it's been at least 10 years.

There were still a couple movies near the bottom that I'm not familiar with.

But everything here is great. Like I said before, there's so much quality from all across the board. I can't even think of any major omissions off the top of my head aside from about a few Robert Wise movies, two of which were named runners up.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 04/11/2016 17:53
  • Post subject:
Just read through again. Such a good list. Yes Mercury feel free to post the next 50 in list form, that would be cool. Hell, post all 480 if you just get bored or something.

Also I'd like to point out that my predictions were relatively close. I called 2001 on day one, although it was an easy guess (then again so was The Godfather - lol)

The 50s are gonna be great too. Any early guesses for #1? I'm thinking either Seven Samurai or Vertigo, but considering our taste those films might wind up third best for their respective director (but probably not).

I'm not 100% sure yet but there's a good chance Ingmar Bergman takes my top spot twice in a row.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 04/11/2016 18:44
  • Post subject:
Yeah very good list, surprised by the likes of Cremator and Funeral Parade of Roses doing so well, but happily so (obv less excited about the Godard wankfest, but eh can't agree on everything). I would almost suggest maybe doing something else besides another decades list, mailny just to try something different though perhaps that's just for personal reasons as Im finding less time to really catch up on movie-watching recently, but if that is indeed the next poll will try to put together a decent list.df

Also I was thinking about doing a non-movie-list but still film-related poll, just making sure it doesn't distract from the next upcoming list.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 04/11/2016 19:02
  • Post subject:
I would love to see a Best Asian Movies poll as long as it wasn't overloaded with Kurosawa and Miyazaki. From Bollywood to Iranian cinema kung-fu to the crazy stuff of South Korea and Thailand, there is so much we can include in that sort of tournament to expand our anglocentric perspectives.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/11/2016 19:31
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
I would almost suggest maybe doing something else besides another decades list,

Well, I'll be posting the 2015 list next weekend Mr. Green

I thought about doing best directors... but I agree on taking a break from the decade lists before heading towards the 50's. I'll think of it once exams are over...
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 04/11/2016 20:07
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
but I agree on taking a break from the decade lists before heading towards the 50's. I'll think of it once exams are over...

Sad

But I'm totally own with best director lists. If that sparks discussion on the essential or most recommended films for a lot of directors, that would be excellent. And a great source for ever more recs.

...but seriously I'm a geek for these decade lists. Not getting AT ALL tired of it. As a matter of fact I'm getting more into these decade lists as we go earlier and earlier.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/11/2016 20:10
  • Post subject:
Quote:
...but seriously I'm a geek for these decade lists. Not getting AT ALL tired of it. As a matter of fact I'm getting more into these decade lists as we go earlier and earlier.

Glad to hear Smile I actually found the 60's list far more exciting than the 70's or 80's, so I guess I agree. The 50's will certainly come eventually Mr. Green I just gotta fit in in with my schedule. Plus, Nutso PMed me a decent idea for when a few more decades are listed. Don't get me wrong, I want to do the 50's and I'm looking forward to it, but some variety always helps.

On the future block, in order: 2015 list, 50's list, directors, 40's. No dates set for the last three. I'm hoping to do the 50's list before late May though... so I might post the thread shortly after the 2015 list.

Last edited by Hayden on 04/11/2016 20:30; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/11/2016 20:15
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
I would love to see a Best Asian Movies poll

Actually, that'd be pretty cool. Assuming that includes the middle east as well of course, not just the far east. I think it'd be really difficult to compile a personal list for that... bit of a challenge.
badseed

United States

• Posted: 04/11/2016 20:28
  • Post subject:
Looking forward to everything to come. A directors list would be sick. I tried to make one of those just for fun a couple weeks back. It was ridiculous. It'd be very interesting to see what we come up with.

But yeah, breaks in between decades charts would be fine, let's just try to go down to the 30s, then maybe do pre-1930 as a whole (unless a lot of us can claim to have seen enough films from the 1910s to separate it from the 20s - I know I haven't)
  • Visit poster's website