Warren Oates

Last edited by bobbyb5 on 01/16/2018 12:35; edited 4 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 12/31/2017 21:31
  • Post subject:
Glad to see my hero ol James is getting lots o’ love.

If he was number 1 actor and, say, Irene Jacob was number 1 actress I’d be quite happy.

Mukherjee ain’t getting much attention yet. Sadly.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 12/31/2017 23:03
  • Post subject:
Anyway, with all moral outrage aside, here's what I think about acting in terms of favorites. I hated writing this list and I am still unsure about it:

Favorite Actors

James Stewart
Henry Fonda
Humphrey Bogart
Orson Welles
Spencer Tracy
Daniel Day-Lewis
Alec Guinness
Gary Oldman
Anthony Hopkins
Charles Chaplin
Peter Sellers
Johnny Depp
Vincent Price
Christopher Lee
Kirk Douglas
Marlon Brando
Michael Caine
Paul Newman
Jeremy Irons
Peter O’Toole
Sidney Poitier
Gregory Peck
Ian McKellen
Rock Hudson
Liam Neeson
Jack Nicholson
Michael Douglas
Willem Dafoe
Al Pacino
Leonardo DiCaprio
Christian Bale
Robin Williams
Phillip Seymour Hoffman
Kevin Spacey
Christoph Waltz
Jeff Bridges
Joaquin Phoenix
Sean Penn
James Cagney
Bryan Cranston
Don Cheadle
Ralph Fiennes
Morgan Freeman
Brian Cox
Bob Hoskins
Colin Firth
Jaime Foxx
Jim Carrey
Russell Crowe
Sean Connery

Favorite Actresses

Grace Kelly
Ingrid Bergman
Bette Davis
Natalie Wood
Audrey Hepburn
Greta Garbo
Liv Ullmann
Marlene Dietrich
Lauren Bacall
Machiko Kyo
Katharine Hepburn
Elizabeth Taylor
Jane Russell
Joan Crawford
Mia Farrow
Setsuko Hara
Vanessa Redgrave
Judy Garland
Cate Blanchett
Barbara Stanwyck
Shirley MacLaine
Marilyn Monroe
Juliette Binoche
Ida Lupino
Julianne Moore
Emma Thompson
Frances McDormand
Diane Keaton
Catherine Deneuve
Faye Dunaway
Olivia de Havilland
Jane Fonda
Doris Day
Viola Davis
Maggie Smith
Nicole Kidman
Naomi Watts
Tilda Swinton
Meryl Streep
Marion Cotillard
Isabella Rossellini
Julie Christie
Charlize Theron
Jennifer Jason Leigh
Anne Hathaway
Veronica Lake
Amy Adams
Diahann Carroll
Madeline Kahn
Kim Hunter
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 01/01/2018 01:55
  • Post subject:
And of course, Patty McCormack: The Bad Seed!!! Think Cool

"I know you took that bracelet..."
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 01/01/2018 03:13
  • Post subject:
I just jumped onto this thread for the first time since it was introduced.

Brick wall

So what badseed said is he wanted to smash some attractive actresses? That's it?

Shame on you

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VKcAYMb5uk4
  • Visit poster's website
AfterHours

• Posted: 01/01/2018 04:09
  • Post subject:
Anyway, on a more serious note, maybe I'll give this some thought. I don't spend too much thought on ranking actresses/actors individually. Much more interesting to me would be "best performances" (as in, in a single film). But trying to judge it over a career is a different thought process which I'll consider contributing to if I find the time before the deadline.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 01/01/2018 04:16
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Personally, I think the bigger problem is the way you're separating men and women in this regard. Acting is acting, and even though women definitely deserve much more representation, they shouldn't be called "actresses" just because of their gender. They're doing the same job the guys are doing, and should be ranked accordingly.

I don't have any problem ranking them on the same list and knew that would be the more PC way to go, but like StreetSpirit said, it ensures equal representation. Perhaps that goes against the whole point and I should have just did it the other way; I was just worried that it would be heavily dominated by men, which would have people protesting the fact that females weren't represented enough. Maybe that speculation was wrong on my part but I feel like I'd have gotten some backlash either way. Let's face the facts; although it's changing a bit with the times as of late, as a whole women have not been given as many chances to shine as men throughout the history of cinema. There just haven't been nearly as many juicy roles for them to sink their teeth into as there have men. In 2017/2018 yes everyone is on about as even a playing field as ever before, and I could easily rank male and female together in a "best of this decade" list where the women are equally or perhaps more represented. But before that, there were really only a handful of great roles per year where an actress is permitted to carry a film as a strong lead and maybe a few more where they could make an impact in a supporting role. Men have been given way more opportunities due to the large amount of quality biopics, gangster movies, action films, etc. I'm trying to be fair. And in this day and age, fair is unfair.

AfterHours wrote:
Anyway, on a more serious note, maybe I'll give this some thought. I don't spend too much thought on ranking actresses/actors individually. Much more interesting to me would be "best performances" (as in, in a single film). But trying to judge it over a career is a different thought process which I'll consider contributing to if I find the time before the deadline.

I agree. Ranking performances is way easier, and honestly cooler. I just don't see that being an easy poll to hold. I mean think about it; all of these people with Philip Seymour Hoffman at the top of their actors list... But they're probably all gonna have a different favorite performance. The amount of different people listed would outnumber any other turnout ever, and the results would be so scattered.

I'm not touching the smashing thing anymore. I'm just gonna forget it. d'oh!

Gowi, I still like you because you have Christopher Lee on your list. For what it's worth, though, that women's list has way more hotties than mine does.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 01/01/2018 04:45
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
I don't have any problem ranking them on the same list and knew that would be the more PC way to go, but like StreetSpirit said, it ensures equal representation. Perhaps that goes against the whole point and I should have just did it the other way; I was just worried that it would be heavily dominated by men, which would have people protesting the fact that females weren't represented enough. Maybe that speculation was wrong on my part but I feel like I'd have gotten some backlash either way. Let's face the facts; although it's changing a bit with the times as of late, as a whole women have not been given as many chances to shine as men throughout the history of cinema. There just haven't been nearly as many juicy roles for them to sink their teeth into as there have men. In 2017/2018 yes everyone is on about as even a playing field as ever before, and I could easily rank male and female together in a "best of this decade" list where they are equally represented. But before that, there were really only a handful of great roles per year where an actress is permitted to carry a film as a strong lead and maybe a few more where they could make an impact in a supporting role. Men have been given way more opportunities due to the large amount of quality biopics, gangster movies, action films, etc. I'm trying to be fair. If you guys wanna do them together, that's fine. Just give me a vote count over the next few days on how you'd rather do it.

I agree. Ranking performances is way easier, and honestly cooler. I just don't see that being an easy poll to hold. I mean think about it; all of these people with Philip Seymour Hoffman at the top of their actors list... But they're probably all gonna have a different favorite performance. The amount of different people listed would outnumber any other turnout ever, and the results would be so scattered.

I'm not touching the smashing thing anymore. I'm just gonna forget it. d'oh!

I don't think it's true at all that women haven't had as many juicy parts or chances to shine as men have. The movies would seem to be the one place where that's not true, unlike a lot of other places.
And also, it's not always sexism that explains all the disparities in life. When it comes to things like music and movies, a lot more men are what could be called obsessives about them. The vast majority of people who like to make lists of best albums and best movies just happen to be men. There just aren't as many women who obsessively collect records or obsessively talk about them. And certainly you can't say that somehow women are being prevented from doing so, even though they want to. I wish more of my female friends were into music and movies as much as my male friends are, but they just aren't. I really don't see where it's a problem though. Anybody who frequents used record stores can tell you that there's maybe one woman in there for every 25 men. So if we mades
single list of actors and actresses combined, instead of separate lists, you probably WOULD find more actors than actresses represented. But this is only because people tend to like who they identify with more. In general, women identify more with other women and men identify more with other men. Of course not always, but in general that's how it works. So I think your original idea of having separate lists is the way to go. It would encourage the men who are making the list to think about more actresses they like than perhaps they would have if they were making a combined list. When you focus on them separately, you tend to think of more.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 01/01/2018 22:06
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
I don't think it's true at all that women haven't had as many juicy parts or chances to shine as men have.

I think it's true. I remember reading somewhere that in the history of film and television, men are on the screen nearly twice as often as women. And men have about 70% of prominent roles. Now I haven't seen everything that's ever been made but based on the 2500-3000 movies/shows I've seen, I believe those stats.

bobbyb5 wrote:
...it's not always sexism that explains all the disparities in life. When it comes to things like music and movies, a lot more men are what could be called obsessives about them. The vast majority of people who like to make lists of best albums and best movies just happen to be men. There just aren't as many women who obsessively collect records or obsessively talk about them. And certainly you can't say that somehow women are being prevented from doing so, even though they want to. I wish more of my female friends were into music and movies as much as my male friends are, but they just aren't...So if we made a single list of actors and actresses combined, instead of separate lists, you probably WOULD find more actors than actresses represented. But this is only because people tend to like who they identify with more. In general, women identify more with other women and men identify more with other men. Of course not always, but in general that's how it works. So I think your original idea of having separate lists is the way to go. It would encourage the men who are making the list to think about more actresses they like than perhaps they would have if they were making a combined list...

Yeah, very true what you said about the genders more likely to identify with one another than the opposite. And most of the women I've known over the years aren't as interested in movies/music as men, and not as inclined to make lists of their favorites. I reckon that's a reason why there isn't much of a female presence on BEA. I guess the two genders are inherently different in that way. However, as I stated earlier in this thread, I would like to see some female BEAers participate. It would be refreshing to hear from them, especially in a poll like this where there is a gender line. Although what's this about a couple users want to erase that line and combine them onto one list? No.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 01/01/2018 22:12
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:

Gowi, I still like you because you have Christopher Lee on your list. For what it's worth, though, that women's list has way more hotties than mine does.

good thing I'm an asexual and have no interest in smashing them, huh? Wink
  • Visit poster's website