Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 07/15/2016 21:24
  • Post subject:
alelsupreme wrote:
There's a coup happening in Turkey right now.[/url]

Holy shit! Shocked

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Muslim-Bigfoot

Location: Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

• Posted: 07/15/2016 21:28
  • Post subject:
A comeback from the world champion of coup d'etat.
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 07/15/2016 21:43
  • Post subject:
Aren't there 1 or 2 BEA regulars from Turkey?

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/15/2016 22:17
  • Post subject:
Yeah, wild what's going on in Turkey. Have any deaths been confirmed yet? The news has been slightly unreliable so far... I'm guessing it's going to escalate in the oncoming hours. The video of the people taking down the tank is crazy.
Muslim-Bigfoot

• Posted: 07/15/2016 23:05
  • Post subject:
There's internet access; government officials are not only not under arrest but talking to tv stations closer to the government; meanwhile some opposition channels have gone off air. This all leads people to conclude that this is a farce show to boost support for RTE before elections. Now I'd call this type of thinking crazy conspiracy theory if it was some other country but here . . . cf. deep state, grey wolves, ergenekon, gülen movement, "Sarıkız, Ayışığı, Yakamoz ve Eldiven", etc.
Muslim-Bigfoot

• Posted: 07/17/2016 23:07
  • Post subject:
This piece on the failed coup is very interesting because normally foreigners are not capable of understanding the many nuances of the domestic politics of another country unless they've lived there for some time and have a good command of the local language but this one hits the bull's eye apart from the estimation of the consequences of a successful coup he makes in the last couple of sentences; I'm not saying it is wrong, but I'd not be so sure seeing as the civil mobility experienced at the after-mass of the coup (and also during, through dangerous calls from government officials upon civilians to resist against military forces which shows their trust in their prepaid mobs but lacked the prescience of distinguishing between them and the uninitiated innocent religious families that see Erdoğan's party as the beacon of hope in an otherwise paranoiacally conceived [a la American Christian right] hostile environment and stormed the streets on their leader's call) has worrying signs of an organized vigilantist Islamist movement (like Ikhvan) otherwise clandestine (using mosques to mobilize, something unheard of, at least in this extent, in recent Turkish history) rather than being also partially led by the supporters of the myriad of pressure groups (secular; leftist, nationalist, Kemalist) whose mainstream parties all had to pay lip service to the "people's resistance" and their "defense of democracy" for their own political future and due to the fear of allegations of collusion (although the paranoia invoked in the last post has largely been eradicated by a whole host of evidence). Most of the people who despise Erdoğan and his AK party were against the coup not because they would be against any coup (some would) but because the coup was orchestrated by the Erdoğan V. 0.1, i.e. the always incompetent Fethullah Gülen (cf. Ergenekon, 2013 corruption investigations in Turkey), an observation (also inward) documented by their excited anticipation in the early hours before the plotters' affiliation had become clear. This isn't going good; nobody is learning anything.
Muslim-Bigfoot

• Posted: 07/30/2016 22:58
  • Post subject:
There are rumors of another coup for this morning.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 07/31/2016 06:57
  • Post subject:
Muslim-Bigfoot wrote:
There are rumors of another coup for this morning.

By who? And who is Erdogan going to arrest and fire now?
  • Visit poster's website
Muslim-Bigfoot

• Posted: 07/31/2016 16:14
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
By who? And who is Erdogan going to arrest and fire now?

"News" is like a bad novel; dumbing down the narrative and bringing the reality to a superficial level. I always read news with a grain of salt. The so-called journalists in western mainstream media are mostly "dumb" illiterate people (I say western because that's what most people are exposed to, the other types of media are not better). You see when you fire a lot of people you have to employ a lot of people and you never know who these people are. Also because of Ergenekon and Sledgehammer trials in the past decade there has been already a purge in the military targeting traditional Kemalists (so theoretically most of the military should have been pro-AKP already before the coup, that's what many "analysts" in Turkey were saying for fear-mongering reasons obviously) and since the AKP government has found the way of legitimizing their cooperation with Cemaat (the people behind the coup) through a narrative of "victims of the conspiracy" (that these trials were held by insurgent judges etc.) , some of the rulings have been nullified and many Kemalists have come back to their offices. Also the army is huge, the number of detainees and arrested is about 1% I think. Also there's the parallel "army" of the grey wolves, . . .
pa
as it happens

Italy

• Posted: 09/10/2016 10:18
  • Post subject:
Lila Downs interviewed and she speaks on Trump (and protest and death). I love Lila's music and I think she is a brilliant songwriter and interpreter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR0W2er0TsQ
  • Visit poster's website