Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States
  • Posted: 10/02/2020 04:01
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Big up Hip-Hop Connection's '100 Best Albums 1995 - 2005' list. If you know, you know. Which, y'know, you won't, because you probably weren't a budding, teenage, British hip-hop head when it came out. But that shit was transformative. Maybe the single biggest influence on my listening habits.

Still haven't checked this list. Might, some day.

So, now I know why you like 'Lord Willin' and 'Only Built 4 Cuban Linx' so much. Very Happy

That is a great hip hop 100. Some I'll need to check out, as I've never seen that list before. There's some questionable shit on there too; 2001 at number 10 being an obvious one, but it's still better than most hip hop lists.

P.S.

M.O.P. in the top 20 is absolutely correct though. Any song off of ' Warriorz' can make even the most milquetoast man flip his wig.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)
  • Posted: 10/02/2020 11:41
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Big up Hip-Hop Connection's '100 Best Albums 1995 - 2005' list. If you know, you know. Which, y'know, you won't, because you probably weren't a budding, teenage, British hip-hop head when it came out. But that shit was transformative. Maybe the single biggest influence on my listening habits.

There's some weird af choices there (both Wu-Tang Forever and The W over the debut??), but it's a solid choice for shaping your listening habits tbh.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States
  • Posted: 10/02/2020 13:54
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Skinny wrote:

There's some weird af choices there (both Wu-Tang Forever and The W over the debut??), but it's a solid choice for shaping your listening habits tbh.

The debut was in 1993, so ineligible for the list
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)
  • Posted: 10/02/2020 14:58
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
LedZep wrote:
Skinny wrote:

The debut was in 1993, so ineligible for the list

Brick wall
That makes sense.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif
  • Posted: 10/02/2020 15:00
  • Post subject:
That list changed my world.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States
  • Posted: 10/03/2020 04:01
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
Rolling Stone was relevant for a short time, mostly around the music now known as Classic Rock. Just because RS has continued to exist beyond the Classic Rock period does not mean that they have been relevant. To EXPECT RS to consider jazz (or hip hop) higher than they do is foolish. That was not their purpose. They were a rock and roll magazine that saw its usefulness end at the same time that AOR FM stations became Classic Rock (oldies) stations. Just as many of the publications and people who ranked and rated albums...they all have periods and specific areas where they were relevant. It's okay that they aren't anymore. We shouldn't expect more from them. They served their purpose, and their views of a certain period have merit...but the RS view (and others) of all time falls short of what we are expecting it to be here.

RS falling short in anything other than pre-alternative rock is not disappointing to me. It's what I expect from them. I think the fact they may be even trying to expand at this point is kind of an embarrassment. It's too late to be playing catch up now...

Indeed.

But my reality distortion field is what is real and I want them to account for my best view of the universe (sarc.).
  • Visit poster's website
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States
  • Posted: 10/03/2020 04:22
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
That list changed my world.

Link

DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark
  • Posted: 10/05/2020 15:12
  • Post subject:
Revisiting it from Crash's livestreams, it's so as horrific as first time. However I like/love about 30% of the list, and I'd put even less amount my favorites/the greatest. 20% of the list are awful albums that should never be near it.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom
  • Posted: 10/07/2020 16:50
  • Post subject:
It's good that Rolling Stone have shaken things up a bit (a lot!) and disrupted the " canon " of greats and it's good they are being more representative of other genres.
But I can't help thinking they've picked a lot of the wrong albums or maybe got some of the artists right but I'd have chosen different albums,

It's a pretty good top 10 though and it's a joy to see Marvin Gaye at number one.
That is a legendary album. It really speaks to me.

But Taylor Swift and Harry Styles?
Are you serious?
Don't get me wrong I like some of these two artists' music but never should they, and a lot more besides, have gotten into an all-time list.
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France
  • Posted: 10/08/2020 08:14
  • Post subject:
Stover75 wrote:
But Taylor Swift and Harry Styles? Are you serious?
Don't get me wrong I like some of these two artists' music but never should they, and a lot more besides, have gotten into an all-time list.

There are not 500 truly great albums in my opinion. Therefore it's impossible to have a consensus on such a large number.
  • Visit poster's website