Best Films of 2022 [Poll][Dead]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 04/04/2023 14:27
  • Post subject:
Weird question: how do we feel about nominating scores for movies we haven't seen? Thinking Babylon in particular, I don't think I'm going to have a chance to see it before the deadline; but I've listened to the soundtrack and it's excellent
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/04/2023 14:45
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
Weird question: how do we feel about nominating scores for movies we haven't seen? Thinking Babylon in particular, I don't think I'm going to have a chance to see it before the deadline; but I've listened to the soundtrack and it's excellent

Sure. I don’t have a problem with this.

Actually a good idea to listen to the score separately (not just in context of the film). Gives you a different perception.

Being said, you should watch Babylon Mr. Green
EyeKanFly

United States

• Posted: 04/04/2023 16:58
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Sure. I don’t have a problem with this.

Actually a good idea to listen to the score separately (not just in context of the film). Gives you a different perception.

Being said, you should watch Babylon Mr. Green

Cool! Agreed, generally if I like a score enough I'll try to watch it after seeing the film, and all of my other choices I've listened to in and out of the context of the film.
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 04/04/2023 20:57
  • Post subject:
I have a weird question, and totally rhetorical so doesn't need to be answered, but how is it that one 'won't have a chance to see a movie before the deadline' when the deadline is nearly seven weeks away? And it's 2023...we have streaming services, cable, VOD, local libraries, redboxes, etc. So many ways to watch Babylon, and there's so much time left in this poll. Come on, EKF, you can do it in the next 7 weeks! Mr. Green

Speaking of which:

Babylon - A Hollywood epic about Hollywood in its anarchic early days when new film innovations were being patented all the time. Three characters in show-business are trying to navigate their ever-changing world that moves too fast to keep up with. This is one of the fastest-paced 3-hour films I've ever sat through. The time just flew by. At times, it's humorous. At other times, it's shocking and barbaric. And at other times, it's just plain sad. Brad Pitt gives an award-worthy performance. Justin Hurwitz composes an award-worthy score.

Thor: Love and Thunder - Ah, a 3:10 to Yuma reunion of Christian Bale and Russell Crowe. Even though they didn't share any screen time, they were the best parts of Thor's fourth solo outing. Nevertheless something was amiss here. This movie suffered from uneven writing and tone. Taika Waititi demonstrated in Jojo Rabbit that he could balance comedy and tragedy (a difficult task). He tries to do the same thing here, but it just doesn't work. I suspect the MCU's tight release schedule forced him to make creative choices without completely thinking them through, and maybe there wasn't time for re-shoots. TBH, this film feels like a rough cut. Thus, some scenes are good by themselves, but they don't flow together very well. Ex. The whole Natalie Portman story was supposed to be heartfelt, but it didn't come off that way. Maybe Guns N' Roses and cancer don't go together? But I must say, Russell Crowe and his accent, and just that scene in general, was one of the MCU's two highlights of 2022.

Black Panther: The Way of Water Wakanda Forever - The other MCU highlight of 2022 was the opening scene of this film, a respectful sendoff to the late Chadwick Boseman. The rest of the film is a bit messy, but at its core, it's a somewhat thoughtful thriller. I liked the political and espionage elements. The film had its problems, though. It was unnecessarily long and there were too many characters who weren't fully developed, and felt like they were just taking up space at times. But overall it's not half bad, best MCU film of 2022 but that isn't saying much. In the grand 30-something film saga, it falls somewhere in the middle. I also couldn't help but notice the movie was about blue humanoids defending their water, released one month before the new Avatar came out. Coincidence? I think not. I think that was deliberate subliminal Avatar advertising on Disney's part (who now owns 20th Century Fox, which produced Avatar).
EyeKanFly

United States

• Posted: 04/05/2023 14:09
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:
I have a weird question, and totally rhetorical so doesn't need to be answered, but how is it that one 'won't have a chance to see a movie before the deadline' when the deadline is nearly seven weeks away? And it's 2023...we have streaming services, cable, VOD, local libraries, redboxes, etc. So many ways to watch Babylon, and there's so much time left in this poll. Come on, EKF, you can do it in the next 7 weeks! Mr. Green

Haha, that's totally fair! For me is that it's not on a streaming service I currently have, and it's not high up enough in my wishlist that I'm going to go out of my way to rent (from library, VOD, redbox, etc.). There's so many good movies out there on the free or paid streaming services I already have, that I have a hard time justifying renting a movie unless I really want to see it, and I just don't have that itch for Babylon.

But the biggest thing is that for some reason I was thinking this tourney was done on April 21st rather than May 21st d'oh! . 4 more weeks helps!
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/08/2023 16:39
  • Post subject:
Speaking of getting around to films before the deadline,
some of my favourites from the year I doubt will make our list—
(but hope you watch anyway)

Faya Dayi (Dir. Jessica Beshir, Ethiopia/Mexico/USA/Qatar)

Considering how under the radar this documentary is, it might surprise people to learn it's already been inducted into the Criterion Collection. Synopsis — "The hypnotic documentary feature explores the coexistence of everyday life and its mythical undercurrents." / "the religious rituals of khat chewing in Harar." / "something dreamlike: a film that uses light, texture, and sound to illuminate the spiritual lives of people whose experiences often become fodder for ripped-from-the-headlines tales of migration."

It's beautiful work, unlike anything else this decade.

Whether the Weather Is Fine (Dir. Carlo Francisco Manatad, Philippines/Singapore)

A surreal typhoon disaster/survival/search'n'rescure drama with time ticking as another storm approaches.
Production is stunning— truly a beautiful film about tragedy. It's a story of resilience, uncertainty, anxiety and hope—
Has an underlying heart of cinematic spirit that shines through every scene.

Joyland (Dir. Saim Sadiq, Pakistan)

I kept looking through my log/notes/filters, etc, and I'm confident in saying this is the best film to ever come out of Pakistan— and what an extraordinarily unexpected story from the country's cinema scene to have that title. Even for the west this is a fairly experimental and progressive plot, focusing on the day-to-day situations of a middle class family's youngest son working as an erotic dancer, eventually falling for a transgender colleague. The art direction is remarkable. It's was... umm... immediately banned in Pakistan.

Leila's Brothers (Dir. Saeed Roustayi, Iran)

Leila's Brothers is way too good of a film to have not won anything at Cannes last year— especially considering it wasn't the hottest line-up— and the fact it didn't walk away with anything major is an unquestionable snub. This is an epic work— sprawling, dense, passionate, raw— (structure-wise, even gives off some minor Succession vibes), and the collective performances from the all-star cast— Alidoosti, Mohammadzadeh, Poursamimi, Maadi & Aslani— is well enough to catapult this into best-of-the-year territory. Masterful work of modern Iranian cinema— had it been released by Farhadi it would be hailed an instant classic, and I'm looking forward to what young up-and-comer Roustayi has in store for us.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 04/10/2023 00:13
  • Post subject:
What about Skinamarink?

Interesting experimental analog horror film that does a lot of things well. I think its worth a look. Free with Shudder.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 04/10/2023 02:41
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
What about Skinamarink?

Interesting experimental analog horror film that does a lot of things well. I think its worth a look. Free with Shudder.
I did not enjoy Skinamarink, just not my thing. But people should definitely watch it. Mileage greatly varies with these sort of experimental horror films. Same goes for Mad God, which I liked a little bit more. But yeah both films should be eligible for this. The former was a '22 festival film before opening this year, while the latter was a 2021 festival film before wide release in '22. And don't forget M3GAN was released in Dec of '22 in a few countries before it opened here in North America. That's eligible too. That was good, silly fun, wasn't it? (but I recommend the unrated version, not the PG-13 theatrical version)
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 04/10/2023 17:50
  • Post subject:
Is The Rescue eligible?

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/10/2023 20:30
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Is The Rescue eligible?

Gonna go with no. Think it’s labelled 2021 everywhere (and was immediately available for international streaming if I recall).

Sad update, but I remember hearing a couple weeks back that one of the rescued kids passed away.