Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 08/09/2014 17:17
  • Post subject:
Goodsir wrote:
Read OP's post

I read that before posting.

meruizh wrote:

But how many bands today turn up to a rehearsal room plastered with posters of Ringo, neck a load of brown acid and plug in planning to write a 21st Century ‘Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds’? Far fewer, we reasoned, than want to write their own ‘Seven Nation Army’ or ‘Crystalised’. Ditto Dylan, The Stones and The Who, et al. These are acts whose influence is written in stone, the very bedrock of the form, but who aren’t necessarily directly informing the music being made today any more than Chaucer is influencing Buzzfeed.

just seems like a dumb argument to me. So what, is Chaucer no longer an influential writer?

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
satiemaniac

• Posted: 08/09/2014 17:55
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
Yup! The BeatlesTame Impala didn't Sublime influence Nirvana/Foo Fighters any Oasis recent Flaming Lips or notable The Pixies artists Elliott Smith or music OK Go that would Fountains of Wayne really Sufjan Stevens be worth mentioning Eddie Vedder.

You realize that the only recent artist you have there is Tame Impala, and they are horse manure, yeah?

I applaud NME's efforts to switch it up, as I really am tired of boring RS lists, but the generic biases of NME led to a predictable list where it mattered and an unpredictable list where it had the potential to infuriate (ordering of artists somewhat arbitrarily, it seemed).
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 08/09/2014 20:00
  • Post subject:
Dingerbell wrote:
No Pixies, but the Breeders?

See #28

This list makes no sense. I love it. And how could I argue with a list that has Blur in the top 20?

Honestly I don't think there would be any way to make this list right. There is no easy way of measuring influence. If you just go with the bands you know are indisputably influential you end up with a super generic list. So I can't complain about the way it turned out at all. I enjoy the inaccuracy of it more than I'd enjoy a list that made perfect, boring sense.
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 08/09/2014 21:09
  • Post subject:
*blinks* Best list by a major publication I've ever seen. O_O Grimes and Bikini Kill?! Yesx10
It's like a "fuck you" to the generic list of this sort. Which is awesome, regardless of how accurate it is (though Bikini Kill is indeed super influential). Though seeing The Cure directly under Yeah Yeah Yeahs is really odd. The Cure need to be closer to the top of the list anyways.
Revolution909

Ireland

• Posted: 08/09/2014 21:22
  • Post subject:
What a great, refreshing list that actually has something new to say. One may have a few quibbles with an artist or a ranking or two but that would be true of any list that isn't generically safe and, ultimately, boring.

It's fantastic, bloody brilliant that electronic artists and electronic music as a genre in general, are finally being treated with the respect and appreciation they deserve.

Especially love the following:

88. Oneohtrix Point Never
82. Massive Attack
61. DJ Shadow
54. Aphex Twin
43. New Order
33. The Knife
31. Bjork
26. Fleetwood Mac
23. Burial
18. Aaliyah

Top 100 Music Albums of the 2010s

Last edited by Revolution909 on 08/09/2014 21:24; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 08/09/2014 21:23
  • Post subject: Re: NME's 100 Most Influential Artists
Hayden wrote:
But these.. I like most of them... but who have any of them ever influenced? Think

yeah I was wondering that too. I love the xx but don't really think of them as being influential.. I seriously don't understand the point of this list tho. it just seems like a bunch of random popular artists put into a random order.
  • Visit poster's website
CubaZed

• Posted: 08/09/2014 21:33
  • Post subject:
Just occurred to me that there is Massive Attack on this list but no Portishead. Think
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/09/2014 21:41
  • Post subject:
CubaZed wrote:
Just occurred to me that there is Massive Attack on this list but no Portishead. Think

I think that kinda makes sense, y'know. Don't forget Massive Attack were much more part of the Bristol fabric with all their links to the graffiti scene and the Wild Bunch sound system - Portishead were a studio creation rather than part of any larger scene externally. Perhaps the same reason the (frankly loathesome) xx are on this list but yet the YMG are nowhere to be seen...
  • Visit poster's website
Muslim-Bigfoot

Location: Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

• Posted: 08/09/2014 22:04
  • Post subject: Re: NME's 100 Most Influential Artists
NME wrote:

But how many bands today turn up to a rehearsal room plastered with posters of Ringo, neck a load of brown acid and plug in planning to write a 21st Century ‘Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds’? Far fewer, we reasoned, than want to write their own ‘Seven Nation Army’ or ‘Crystalised’. Ditto Dylan, The Stones and The Who, et al. These are acts whose influence is written in stone, the very bedrock of the form, but who aren’t necessarily directly informing the music being made today any more than Chaucer is influencing Buzzfeed. Influence is a fluid concept, so rather than simply tipping our caps to the legends (again), we set out to quantify which are the biggest influences on today’s music scene.

With that logic, half of this list should be post-hardcore, hip-hop and death/black metal bands.

EDIT: and most of the other half should be DJs and stuff.
  • Visit poster's website
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/09/2014 22:46
  • Post subject:
Ha ha just a joke list. What's the point unless you are going to do it properly instead of just coming up with perceived cool names and throwing them in. They probably got each writer to chuck some names in off the top of their head. Waste of time. Wouldn't expect anything else from NME now though. I think the writers forgot the remit. I can't believe they left of Daisy Chainsaw and Sultans of Ping.
  • Visit poster's website