Is cultural diversity a criterion for chart quality?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 08/25/2014 22:55
  • Post subject:
Don't read too much into comments like that I guess, different people are going to want to see different things in charts, so naturally not everyone's tastes will conform.

• Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 08/25/2014 23:09
  • Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:
Don't read too much into comments like that I guess, different people are going to want to see different things in charts, so naturally not everyone's tastes will conform.

and of course if you post something on someone's chart that is received negatively with an air of condescension people will fire back at your own chart. If you open your mouth, don't be afraid for words to come upon you. Basic logic.
  • Visit poster's website
eyezayzay

United States

• Posted: 08/25/2014 23:23
  • Post subject:
I was gonna write something but fuck it. Just read what you're saying. I'm tired of having the same conversation with literally everyone I know, one billion times.

My main complaint was the overall chart, it's hard for me to believe that the album that has sold the most copies is so far down on the list. If you don't know what album I'm talking about, Google it, :/
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 08/26/2014 00:30
  • Post subject:
I think it depends. If a person has only white artists and states somewhere in their chart descriptor that there's no music by other races intentionally, then you know it's probably GARY and just nope the hell out.

Otherwise like whatever you want to like.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
Precedent

• Posted: 08/26/2014 00:34
  • Post subject:
I don't really mind race at all, ever.

If the music is good, and the album is in the top 100 albums that I've listened to, I'm more than happy to place it on my chart.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 08/26/2014 00:44
  • Post subject:
The race of the artist literally doesn't even enter my mind when I'm listening to an album and I have no idea why it should.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Mies

• Posted: 08/26/2014 00:56
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
The race of the artist literally doesn't even enter my mind when I'm listening to an album and I have no idea why it should.

Same here.
satiemaniac

• Posted: 08/26/2014 20:13
  • Post subject:
just playing devil's advocate here, and not to say that it's "required" to have a certain number of minority artists in your charts or anything, but how the fuck is an artist's race (and the politics surrounding an artist's race) not inextricably tied to some forms of music? hip hop is the most obvious, born as it was of black struggle. house music was born of qpoc struggles around the western world. the blues, slave hymnals, jazz... all hugely influenced by racial politics in the United States, and we're talking just within one country. don't get me started on Fela's hugely anti-colonialist output. even when struggle isn't involved (as in the high art traditions of various cultures across the world that are largely practiced by an educated elite within those societies), traditional culture of regions plays a lot into the music, and i think that diverse perspectives on a chart can be good, though not some kind of universal criterion for excellence if present.

i don't think it makes you racist to dislike hip hop, etc. and i doubt anyone here dislikes hip hop because it's too outspokenly black (or at least i would hope so) but i don't get the other side of the coin of liking the music and not even acknowledging the race politics at play, particularly in American black music throughout the 20th century. seems needlessly color-blind and like an excuse to strip historical context away to make for an easier experience for people not wanting to critically evaluate their own positions.

and i totally think that the overall chart's lack of racial diversity is tied to white hegemonic publications like Rolling Stone tokenizing select black performers as revolutionaries and then giving (no pun intended) carte blanche to whatever cockrocker white guy wants to come along. people who read the rag aren't necessarily racist, but their tastes are influenced by a publication that's influenced by racial dynamics in the US, and it's not "affirmative action" (give me a fucking break) to acknowledge the vast gaps in musical knowledge indicated by being obsessed with Led Zeppelin and not listening to a single blues 78 or being into hip hop, but just Eminem and Macklemore, or being into girl groups but that just meaning the Shangri-Las, or or or
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 08/26/2014 20:35
  • Post subject:
satiemaniac wrote:
and it's not "affirmative action" (give me a fucking break) to acknowledge the vast gaps in musical knowledge indicated by being obsessed with Led Zeppelin and not listening to a single blues 78 or being into hip hop, but just Eminem and Macklemore, or being into girl groups but that just meaning the Shangri-Las, or or or

A chart doesn't tell you what a person has listened to, it tells you what they like. So yeah, I think it's a lot like affirmative action to try to enforce racial diversity on someone's chart. Actually, a chart is usually about an individual and has minimal influence on group dynamics, so it's much more ridiculous than affirmative action.

I do think it's kind of funny and even a little silly when someone puts together a chart of 100 albums without a hint of dark skin, but you've said yourself that an artist's race is often (perhaps always) tied to their music. Why should it be so wrong or so strange that a white person tends to like music by white performers?
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/26/2014 22:30
  • Post subject:
It could be down to the fact that certain genres are just dominated by one race (for example, hip-hops largely black whereas country's largely white) so if you tend to favour certain genres then an imbalance is to be expected.
  • Visit poster's website