Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 02/12/2015 23:12
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Not in the USA or pretty much any part of the Western world, no. That conversation may be better for the politics subforum, though.

I don’t agree with you, but I see where you are coming from. I have a few acquaintances who ignore the traditional definition of racism (see: Merriam-Webster, Oxford, Macquarie) and instead define it through the “social institution of racism”. But the point where I don’t get behind it is when people solely use the social institution definition as the only and primary ideology as racism (as defined) is a racial or ethnically oriented form of bigotry—which is objective and blatant. I do, however, agree that the “western institution of social racism” is oriented around non-whites.
  • Visit poster's website
Muslim-Bigfoot

Location: Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

• Posted: 02/12/2015 23:27
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Not in the USA or pretty much any part of the Western world, no. That conversation may be better for the politics subforum, though.

This is so true and many people who have this abstract idea of racism like a one-sentence definition just confuse it all the time. Racism is an institution, a social construct, a state of mind.

EDIT: I didn't see the post above mine; but it's funny how we use similar terms.
RepoMan

• Posted: 02/12/2015 23:33
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Not if it was spoken by a black person they wouldn't.

Also, I always find it a bit offensive when people equate the negative stereotypes associated with white Americans to those that were for centuries used to oppress African Americans. Bigotry can go both ways, but racism cannot.

I am literally dying due to racism. Dying due to a hate crime. Three black guys tried to kill me for no other reason than I was white. And they fucking botched it those assholes. So now I have to suffer in crippling pain as my body stops working as the nerves throughout my body & brain are dying. and my my brain gets more & more fried. My hands shake now and I'm now having a hard time walking.

Idk if you've noticed but my cognition has slowly but noticeably been going these past 4 or 5 months or so. My life is ending because of racism. My kids are not going to have a Daddy much longer because of racism. Don't tell me it's not real.
LevonTostig

• Posted: 02/12/2015 23:33
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Bigotry can go both ways, but racism cannot.

Do you know what racism is?
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 02/12/2015 23:40
  • Post subject:
Okay, I was more wanting to make a statement with my review- like "Hey, it's not everyone heard this as a boring album. A lot more people heard it as a great one". When I said fuck off I was directing that to Kozelek, somewhat Sp4cetiger and some others who were using a culture association as some sort of criticism. It was a bit rude. I'm sorry about that slip up, tiger. I love you.

And i'd say JoD is right, I wasn't typing fuck off in an irritated huff. I was very knowingly and with right mind typing "fuck off", sadly enough. Fuck off maybe should have been "step off" or a jovial "get outta here!" Or "come on now!" Or something like that to express my feeling of "huh!? I don't here that, it's just music, - I mean are we listening to the same album?! Are you saying this is so similar to Dire Straits albums that you can't differentiate time and place?" That was more what I wanted to say.

And tekin, come on now, I know you love Talk Talk and they're great and all, but I can't associate one little measly part of their sound with The War On Drugs? Really? You feel they are SOOOO great and SOOOO special that I shouldn't associate just a similarity I hear in some of the atmospheres of the albums? That's a strange thought. Makes my brain creak trying to understand such.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 02/12/2015 23:42
  • Post subject:
Muslim-Bigfoot wrote:
This is so true and many people who have this abstract idea of racism like a one-sentence definition just confuse it all the time. Racism is an institution, a social construct, a state of mind.

Exactly. It may not be worth dwelling on semantics, but it seems like many people equate racism with bigotry or the fallout from a mythical "race war", but both of these things miss the bigger, more serious problem that the term "racism" is meant to refer to.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 02/12/2015 23:46
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Exactly. It may not be worth dwelling on semantics, but it seems like many people equate racism with bigotry or the fallout from a mythical "race war", but both of these things miss the bigger, more serious problem that the term "racism" is meant to refer to.

The problem is racism is more than one thing. Like Tekin (that's Tekin right?) said, it has come to point it means several things and yes "race/ethnicity-oriented bigotry" is the central definition, but as said we also have the western social institution and so many other things. You guys enforcing your definition as the solitary one is doing more harm to your cause and beliefs than you comprehend. Because racism is leaps and bounds more complicated to say anything absolute and as presented by the above your claims are maybe a bit perceived as pompous.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 02/12/2015 23:46
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
Okay, I was more wanting to make a statement with my review- like "Hey, it's not everyone heard this as a boring album. A lot more people heard it as a great one". When I said fuck off I was directing that to Kozelek, somewhat Sp4cetiger and some others who were using a culture association as some sort of criticism. It was a bit rude. I'm sorry about that slip up, tiger. I love you.

Eh, I know you get worked up about your favorite music, we all do sometimes. Love you too, Mercury. Smile
Goodsir

• Posted: 02/12/2015 23:52
  • Post subject:
Jeff, I have not gotten to know you well at all (which I really regret), but I want to say that you're one of the greatest people that I have ever met online or offline. I just wanted to let you know that.
Muslim-Bigfoot

Location: Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

• Posted: 02/12/2015 23:58
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
And tekin, come on now, I know you love Talk Talk and they're great and all, but I can't associate one little measly part of their sound with The War On Drugs? Really? You feel they are SOOOO great and SOOOO special that I shouldn't associate just a similarity I hear in some of the atmospheres of the albums? That's a strange thought. Makes my brain creak trying to understand such.

I just posted a Dolk graffiti; what are you talking about? Laughing

But seriously