3%
 3%  [2]
Total Votes : 51

Muslim-Bigfoot

Location: Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

• Posted: 02/21/2015 13:52
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
While Muslim Bigfoot continues to be an elitist cunt (please, we're all thinking it) I'd like to have a moment of silence for the subjective appreciation of art which died in this thread today.

My serious tone may cause delusions but I'm just expressing my opinion (believe me, this stuff isn't my main concern in my life Laughing , I get this alot of times tho; I guess people are not used to talking). Subjectivity dies when most charts have Beatles and Casablanca on them. There's a fine distinction between positive freedom and negative freedom. In this case one might say people have positive freedom when they choose Beatles because they listen to stuff and like Beatles and put it on their list. But they don't have negative freedom, which is freedom from external constraints. When people simple-mindedly dismiss criticism of cliche as an attack on subjectivity, they don't understand that there are million things that shape that subjectivity and most of them are out of your control and people's ignorance or carelessness about them doesn't make them immune to criticism. If people think they put Beatles on their albums because they like em most, I juts think they're preprogrammed to like Beatles because their sources and social group and many other things are constrained. If they acknowledged these constraints and said "Dude, I get that there are constraints, but I'm not gonna go out of my way to challenge them and I'm happy with what I like", then that's fine but it irks me when people talk of "best of all-time", "best of world" and in the process ignore 90% of population of that world and think acknowledging the existence of 90% of world is elitism. For more elitism see the list of my favorite movies (beware it includes Horrible Bosses): http://www.imdb.com/list/ls057337180/
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/21/2015 13:58
  • Post subject:
Casablanca is my favourite film of all-time. I first watched it when I was 8 or 9, and had zero concept of criticism of art in any sense beyond somebody in the playground thinking something was good or bad. Now, if it hadn't been for its constant place among best ever film lists, I may never have seen it, but I think I saw it at an age whereby that sort of thing had almost no effect on me whatsoever. In the years since, I've found many more films that I love, some which are acclaimed by a certain type of Hollywood-centric critic, some which are preferred by a different type of critic altogether, and some which receive pretty much no acclaim whatsoever. And Casablanca is still my favourite film of all-time.

I blame benpaco.
Muslim-Bigfoot

Location: Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

• Posted: 02/21/2015 14:03
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Casablanca is my favourite film of all-time. I first watched it when I was 8 or 9, and had zero concept of criticism of art in any sense beyond somebody in the playground thinking something was good or bad. Now, if it hadn't been for its constant place among best ever film lists, I may never have seen it, but I think I saw it at an age whereby that sort of thing had almost no effect on me whatsoever. In the years since, I've found many more films that I love, some which are acclaimed by a certain type of Hollywood-centric critic, some which are preferred by a different type of critic altogether, and some which receive pretty much no acclaim whatsoever. And Casablanca is still my favourite film of all-time.

I blame benpaco.

Statistics is the key (I think statistically Casablance being considered one of all-time best by critics as early as 50s has bigger role than people's pure love for the movie above all other movies; I think differentiating between pleasure derived from seeing two favorite movies is a very hard thing and there should be sth external to push one ahead of the other). One of my favorite movies of all-time is 400 blows and I saw it when I was 12 or sth and fell in love with movies because of that film. The fact that I saw the movie that early in my life has a definite impact on me considering it one of the best of all-time. The fact that I saw that movie when I was 12 is out of my control.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 02/21/2015 14:34
  • Post subject:
My head says Kane, but my heart says Casablanca. Went with my heart. There are a few here I haven't seen, though, and my experience with movies is much more limited than with music (it's harder to multitask).

I am surprised at how uniformly classic Hollywood this list is, considering how young the average forumgoer seems to be.
Saoirse

• Posted: 02/21/2015 14:38
  • Post subject:
that is a big question- how would my absolutely rose-colored view of movies like Bambi, The 400 Blows, Children of Paradise or Dumb and Dumber be if I saw them for the first time now and not many years ago.
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/22/2015 15:28
  • Post subject:
Rear Window for me.
Kiki

• Posted: 02/22/2015 15:33
  • Post subject:
Cymro2011 wrote:
Rear Window for me.

To escape the thread? Wink
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 02/22/2015 18:34
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
I blame benpaco.

I voted for the apparently underrated Godfather II ... I liked Casablanca, didn't love it but liked it, if I was gonna say one of these was overrated I'd say it was Citizen Kane, tbh ...

(All of this being said, I've never seen the whole of M, Sunset Blvd, or Rear Window, just a few scenes from each I think)

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/23/2015 00:09
  • Post subject:
I've only seen three of these, Casablanca of which being my favourite by quite a bit, then Psycho, then Godfather.
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 02/23/2015 01:19
  • Post subject:
Godfather Part II for me.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website