BYT - G5 - 1977 (mercury) v 2007 (Hayden)

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Choose!
65%
 65%  [21]
34%
 34%  [11]
Total Votes : 32

Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 05/17/2015 22:08
  • Post subject: BYT - G5 - 1977 (mercury) v 2007 (Hayden)
(1-9-7-7! 'Twas just a goddamn amazing year. My favorite probably. Here are some more reasons why:

Here's a selection of 5 albums and also 5 singles to help illuminate some of the good to great to perfect and revolutionary things that were happening in and being dropped in that 12 month span almost 40 years ago.
ALBUMS:

Zombie by Fela Kuti

Alien Soundtracks by Chrome

The Clash by The Clash

Low by David Bowie

Animals by Pink Floyd

Great, aye? I know! And now for the singles.

SINGLES:

Link

Like A Hurricane - Neil Young

Link

Wishing On A Star - Rose Royce

Link

The Modern Dance - Pere Ubu

Link

Pumping My Heart - Patti Smith

Link

Another Star - Stevie Wonder
  • Visit poster's website
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 05/17/2015 22:08
  • Post subject:

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
WindowAbove

United States

• Posted: 05/17/2015 22:16
  • Post subject:
A difficult match. Stronger is possibly the worst thing Kanye has ever put on an album, and I don't like For Emma at all. However, there's no album on the 77 team I love as much as In Rainbows and Below the Heavens, and Neon Bible is excellent as well. But then 77 has Zombie and The Clash, and them the Patti Smith and Stevie Wonder songs. I think I'll go with 77 but the teams are very close.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/17/2015 22:35
  • Post subject:
Shit, this'll be tight...

Great variety on your '77 team Mercury. Surprised that you used Another Star over Sir Duke, but I'm going to assume you'll just use that next round as well. Best of luck.

Just gunna leave this here Anxious

Link
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 05/17/2015 22:49
  • Post subject:
Both teams are super solid, but the one knock on 2007 is that besides Below The Heavens, it kind of looks like the top four albums that the guys at Paste or Pitchfork might cobble together by committee. Whereas 1977's team with Fela's Zombie and cult fave Chrome's Alien Soundtracks (arguably the first noise rock album) is super sexy. Plus, it's pretty diverse with even a nod thrown to a classic rock staple (Animals) which is kind of refreshing. Plus I just love that Pere Ubu track.

Silver

• Posted: 05/18/2015 00:07
  • Post subject:
I never thought it would be so easy to vote against a team with Below The Heavens and Someone Great, but aside from the UGK and Nick Cave there's nothing else I really care about hearing on the 07 team. 77 has Fela and Clash and Bowie and even with Animals it's still a way better team, and some great singles too.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 05/18/2015 03:54
  • Post subject:
'Int'l Player's Anthem' is quite probably my favourite song of all-time, and yet the fact that the whole album wasn't used means I'll probably vote 1977.
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 05/18/2015 05:13
  • Post subject:
Yeah, I expected this to be closer. And it is still up in the air that I channel my inner clippers and still end up getting creamed by the end of the week.

That 2007 team is solid af, Hayden! I mean I think that when I joined BEA and I graduated up and made my first 100 albums chart Neon Bible, For Emma, and Boxer were there. I still consider Boxer a masterpiece and now In Rainbows is probably my fave radiohead. Also cool singles. I figured you were going to use yoir big guns this week after losing last to '65, so I played the Zombie and Low cards on you.

Anyway, yeah I am 1. Kinda saving sir duke for later potentially and 2. Another star is a bit more to my taste these days. It's a little more of a deep cut and I little more a song I haven't warn out by hearing it on his greatest hits over and over. So, there ya go.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 05/18/2015 15:15
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
Yeah, I expected this to be closer. And it is still up in the air that I channel my inner clippers and still end up getting creamed by the end of the week.

That 2007 team is solid af, Hayden! I mean I think that when I joined BEA and I graduated up and made my first 100 albums chart Neon Bible, For Emma, and Boxer were there. I still consider Boxer a masterpiece and now In Rainbows is probably my fave radiohead. Also cool singles. I figured you were going to use yoir big guns this week after losing last to '65, so I played the Zombie and Low cards on you.

Apparently I'm just really bad at this game Laughing

Thanks though, I figured this and my team against '67 would be my strongest. I kinda went easy on '65, which was a mistake Neutral

Fela Kuti's discography is so massive and consistently good that it's hard to pick a favourite, but Zombie would be a strong contender, great pick. I've never understood Chrome in the slightest, but it's interesting to see that up there too.

Can't believe that In Rainbows came out 8 years ago now... that's longer than the gap between it and Kid A's release. It still grows on me though, I prefer it over Ok Computer now.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 05/18/2015 15:23
  • Post subject:
Oh mannnnnn that is a hell of a matchup. It would take an exceptionally strong 2007 team for me to consider voting against a team with Animals, Zombie, AND Low on it, and I genuinely considered voting 2007, but I just leaned a bit more towards 1977

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website