Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/24/2016 17:01
  • Post subject:
recent shit:

Strawberry Switchblade by Strawberry Switchblade [lots of relistens]

fell in love with this really quickly. beautifully dreamy synthpop Smile

1話目 by しゅ~ふるまぁ~じ...Furuma~Ju] [lots of relistens]

replayed this a few times in the past few days really starting to vibe with it, on first listen it was pretty great but in the last week or so this has grown on me even more. zany batshit crazy art pop tunes with an almost nursery-storytelling vibe to it... it's a lovely dichotomy that's horribly rare to come across

Debussy: Préludes (Volume 1) by Arturo...chelangeli [first - 22/5]

pretty emotional stuff. lovely subtle atmospheres.

Erik Satie: Gnossiennes; Gymnopédies; ...t De Leeuw [first - 23/5]

some really beautiful pieces, i cried a little during the gymnopédies
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/29/2016 19:58
  • Post subject:

1989 by Taylor Swift [first - 26/5]

i can't believe this was my first listen. ultra fun. plenty of bangers, a few songs not all that good but the highs sure make up for the lows

Mambo! by Yma Sumac [first - 29/5]

horns are REALLY in ur face in the best way possible; a delightful album

elseq 1-5 by Autechre [first - 29/5]

on this now. will update thoughts disc-by-disc.

elseq 1: first disc is really something. pendulu hv moda is the highlight for sure. love the sparse beats and how a wave of deep gushing ambiance will wash over every now and then. lovely stuff
elseq 2: not as full-on as 1 but alas c7b2 saves the day -- nothing much more than ur normal autechre at play here; odd time signatures, chaotic bleeps n bloops and the most perfect abrasive icing on the cake
elseq 3: starts with the deliciously drony "eastre" (wew), and ends with cranking the noise up a tonnnnnnn in "mesh cinereaL" woww i'm lost fuck me
elseq 4: elseq 1-5 a.k.a. the gift that keeps on giving. each disc is its own fabulous world and my lord this is no exception. i would bet my house latentcall is some of the best 15 minutes of music you'll ever listen to.
elseq 5: those 4 hours of my life were completely worth it. this one is a lot more low-key and denser and i mean that in the best way possible -- freulaeux is just the most satisfying thinggg

fuck yeah. listen to all 5 discs at once if you can - it's truly an experience. aoty so far for sure. shit's fucking amazing.
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/30/2016 23:28
  • Post subject:

I Full Frihet: Framför Våra Vanligast...Gueststars [first - 29/5]

it's ickle Swedish children singing out of tune to cute melodies with their parents on occasional vocal accompany and backing piano, why wouldn't i love this?

The Legendary Chinese Hits by 周璇 [Zhou Xuan] [relisten - 30/5]

the first time i've listened to this in one sitting, and i'm just finishing up the fourth volume to go onto my favourite volume of the lot. this whole compy holds more powerful and emotionally taxing minutes than you thought could exist in music; spanning the whole of Zhou's career from the late 30s-50s. early tracks possess youthful, angelic vocal delivery and beautifully raw traditional chinese instrumentation with irresistible pop sensibilities - the shidaiqu popstar wasn't given the nickname "Golden Voice" for nothing. throughout the volumes, but more from about 3-5, Xuan's music reflects the booming vibrant scenes of Old Shanghai in the 1940s and 1950s, the luminous nightlife and bombastic community, taking huge influence from the hanging shadow of Shanghai's own "jazz age" in the 1920s. Zhou's music really brings out the most raw, honest emotions; as lovesick as it is lovelorn and sanguinely cheery as often as it is sombre, this collection seemingly sums up what is it to be human and what it is to merely exist and feel in an age of pessimism and depression.
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/20/2016 02:12
  • Post subject:
EXAMS!!!!!!!!!! BLAME THEM FOR ME NOT UPDATING THIS!!!!!

ok here we go....

Girl Unit - Wut [first - 31/5]

wasn't particularly over-impressed by my first full Night Slugs not by Jam City so yhh i can't really remember this since it was a few weeks ago (sorry)

Classical Curves by Jam City [first - 31/5]

this however!!!!!!!! wew!!!!!!!!! lots of relistens. lovely mechanical, sparse beats. BAM bamMBmbam. neo-futuristic post-bass i'm-weeb-trash-haha-look-at-these-conglomerate-words poopie album

Poi E by Patea Maori Club [first -31/5]

Quote:
yo fuck me i read up about this group and their synthesis of 80s pop and Māori music and OF COURSE i had to listen to some shit so I listened to the lead single from this (Poi E) but then BUT THEN i found that Dalvanius Prime, who featured in that single, had an entire LABEL based around this sorta shit in the 80s - he wanted to create a sorta "Māori Motown" (sadly to no success other than Poi E which topped New Zealand's charts for weeks) - and so OBVIOUSLY the next step was listening to this whole album.

so much pure joy - it's a very collectivist album and celebrates the connections between people and their roots. mostly tying where a person comes from and their society to modern day life. the music itself - sweet, bouncy synthpop with traditional Māori roots - it's to die for honestly...

things

Gold by ABBA [first - 1/6]

essential tbh

Aja by Steely Dan [first - 4/6]

i don't care gabe it's fab

Le' Ywei Sin Tei Mya by ၼၢင်း...ang Naang] [first - 5/6]

like i was a lil dissapointed. kon aue nam is like worlds ahead of the rest on this album which was a bit saddening bc it was teh only song id heard from this pre-listen but EHHHH it's a v nice album nonetheless it's just that track blows everything out of the waters

Classical Club Mixes by Jam City [first - 11/6]

it's like Classical Curves but....... club mixes.........

Club Constructions Vol. 6 by Jam City [first - 12/6]

it's club mixes but this time not so Classical Curves Wink

Any Other City by Life Without Buildings [first - 12/6]

if I if I if IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII were to d-d-d-d-d.... DO a RE-VIEW. V-V-VIEW. if I. if I were to do. one for you. a-a... a R-R-R-... if I were to. review. any other any other ci-ci-city, any other city. it would. it would ref-ref-reflect... the id-id-id the idiosyncratic vocals, the ab-----stract ly-ly-lyricism. the vocals. the lyrics. the pun-PUN-punchy guitars. it's chaaaaarrted in less. less. less than a week. less than less than. less than a week. c'est vrai. c'est v-v-v-v-v-VRAI. oui. if I if I were to.... do a review. I'd... do it like. like YOU. c'est vrai.

Midnight Cleaners by Cleaners From Venus [first - 13/6]

in which swede gets bored of doing write-ups and lets you imagine how much i enjoyed this (hint: it's a lot) Wink

Super Saiyan Vol. 1 by Sicko Mobb [first - 14/6]

CHEERY! AS! FUCK! OPTIMISTIC! AND! HAPPY! AND! I! WANT! TO! SMILE! SO! HARD!

they hearts so big

Endless Summer by The Beach Boys [first - 18/6]

kl

Double Heads by Les Rallizes Dénudés [first - 19/6]

yhyh les rallizes are the best in just letting everything go with the flow. plodding bass. robotic drums. CRASHING guitars. wonderful noisy delicious honeydew atmospheres. omg this is music made for me isn't it. it is. yes.

Song Cycle by Van Dyke Parks [LOTS of relistens]

i don't know why like a year ago i gave this a 60 but w/e this is fab. beautiful touching delicate art/prog/psych/baroque pop w.e. you wanna call this- v celebratory of american nostalgia it makes me think of cute carnivals and going to a cheesy cabaret show with that special someone
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 06/22/2016 02:44
  • Post subject:
Wow, lots of interesting-looking albums to add to my to-do list!

And I'm delighted to see more BEA love for Strawberry Switchblade - they're one of my favorites Very Happy
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/22/2016 15:37
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
And I'm delighted to see more BEA love for Strawberry Switchblade - they're one of my favorites Very Happy

strawbswitch truly are one of the most purely joyous synthpop bands of their day. i remember my dad always playing Since Yesterday to me when i was but a wee kiddy. used to love that song just as much as i do now - everything they touch seems to turn to gold though

other stuff i've been on:

Barter 6 by Young Thug [first - 20/6]

through every CH-CHEEEEEE and SKRR SKRR young thug's music just leaks of personality. it's a great mixtape throughout, it does dip in places though but MASSIVE choons such as Check really make up for that

Late Nights: The Album by Jeremih [first - 20/6]

a really really enjoyable album. the singles are undeniable - but the whole album is just full of diverse influences and the production throughout is beautifully layered and atmospheric. some trap influence here and there, some dreamy alt r&b, some dance-pop, good amount of pop rap all thrown into one bag it's p great

Judee Sill by Judee Sill [first - 21/6]

very pleasant music, this goes hand-in-hand with the next listen tho so i'll try and explain Judee's charm a little in that one more - this is basically the same effect just not done as well

Heart Food by Judee Sill [first - 21/6]

truly beautiful, serene music. very spiritual. insane attention to melody, a knack for hitting the right note (as in emotionally) and really tugs at my little heartstrings.

Le' Ywei Sin Tei Mya by ၼၢင်း...ang Naang] [relisten]

forget my comments on this from last time -- my review from rym:

Quote:
i wanted to find out more about Naang Naang so i searched around and i found the guy that found this cassette at a record shop one day and he ripped it and uploaded it to his blog and that's how it emerged on the internet and i find that very obtusely cool. this album is pure joy, like wow. the lo-fi, crackly guitars, the beautiful melodies, godly vocals, it's all just so perfect.

so what this made me realise. is how hidden the beauties of life are. how hidden certain treasures can be. imagine, this cassette in a box labelled "tapes: $1" amongst some other secondhand tapes that have been played once and thrown in a box. now imagine hundreds of cassettes in this box at a record fair.

there's hours upon hours of the best music you'll ever hear collecting dust in someone's attic. your potential favourite ever song could be a limited pressing single out there somewhere with a couple scratches piled under thousands of other singles in someone's cupboard, to never be played again. i feel it's something like this -- life's treasures are deep and hidden, yes, but it takes only one person to uncover and share this beauty to bring thousands of smiles.

okay so more on the music -- let's start off with the tape hiss. little crackles that add this really beautiful effect to it, i'm sure appreciators of lo-fi music really don't have to have this spelled out but it just makes it feel so RAW and precious and true to its original performance. her vocals, my god, little inflections and an almost sobbing effect to the more melancholy songs, but they can also really bring the biggest of HUGE smiles at times. the guitars go hard - i don't mean there's overdrive or anything or le ebin power chords \m/ \m/ - but they just BURST through like omg it's so hard to find such emotionally hitting guitars and these are an example of where the guitar really shines and shimmers and pierces your soul. there's an occasional use of some sort of synth that KILLS everything it just rips your heart out and STOMPS on the shit and bursts it and wooooow ijust can't take it i just can't
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/22/2016 15:46
  • Post subject:
Suedeswede wrote:

Any Other City by Life Without Buildings [first - 12/6]

if I if I if IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII were to d-d-d-d-d.... DO a RE-VIEW. V-V-VIEW. if I. if I were to do. one for you. a-a... a R-R-R-... if I were to. review. any other any other ci-ci-city, any other city. it would. it would ref-ref-reflect... the id-id-id the idiosyncratic vocals, the ab-----stract ly-ly-lyricism. the vocals. the lyrics. the pun-PUN-punchy guitars. it's chaaaaarrted in less. less. less than a week. less than less than. less than a week. c'est vrai. c'est v-v-v-v-v-VRAI. oui. if I if I were to.... do a review. I'd... do it like. like YOU. c'est vrai.

I always, I al-al-always knew. You. Had taste. Always knew you had-a good-good-taste Smile
  • Visit poster's website
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/21/2016 22:36
  • Post subject:
fuck okay UPDATE TIME

World Wide Dempa by Dempagumi.inc [first - 22/6]

WEEEEEEEEE super super energetic denpa, keeps its pure energy for its whole hour length

WWDD by Dempagumi.inc [first - 23/6]

see above but a little less enthusiastic

Gogo Dempa by Dempagumi.inc [first - 23/6]

see above but replace all text with "eeeh a little disappointing, a lot of weak tracks but also a good amount of amazingly energetic ones"

Rise Of The Obsidian Interstellar by Disasterpeace [first - 26/6]

my friend got me into Disasterpeace so i checked this out. a very very good album and Submerciful is just an absolute titan of a song

Haniwa by Kiyohiko Senba And His Haniwa All Stars [first - 10/7]

basically a Haniwa-Chan release but with a fancy orchestra behind them (thus leaking in some orchestral/J-classical elements here and there). definitely a more unique approach to Kiyohiko Senba's art pop compositions, but not necessarily more impacting than Kanashibari -- but, I mean, not much is...

Dante's Disneyland Inferno by Sun City Girls [first - 10/7]

A MAN

IS AN INSECT

IS A FLAME

(a.k.a. getting scurvy on a trip to Atlantis and chopping off your legs for fun)

TwinSisterMoon - Bride of the Spirits [first - 12/7]

eerie, looming psych folk

Monster by Future [first - 12/7]

amazing atmospheric beats throughout and ends with the fucking POWERHOUSE codeine crazy

Thai Pop Spectacular 1960s - 1980s by Various Artists [first - 12/7]

banger after banger. full of heartfelt and straight-up COOL luk thung jams

Pagan by Palmistry [first - 14/7]

had the odd CREAMworthy moment but eh a lot of this is pretty soulless imo which is sad

Pussy Cannibal Holocaust by Anadorei [first - 20/7]

just REALLY powerful energetic garage punk/noise rock that ends in a 15 minute cover of Sister Ray that covers more than half of the album's duration xD

Lincoln by They Might Be Giants [first - 20/7 + 2 relistens]

love LOVE lOVEolvE.!!!!!!!!!! melodic, cheery, bombastic, bittersweet "guitar pop" bangers. full of the most exciting moments in pop/rock history --- if you haven't listened already, i mean, what are you waiting for

They Might Be Giants by They Might Be Giants [first - 20/7]

it has the quirkiness and melody of lincoln but just not...... all that damn charm. still a great album tho don't get me wrong

La Nòvia by Acid Mothers Temple And Th...iso U.F.O. [first - 21/7]

something something great one-long-song album something something

Nuclear Addicts by Confuse [first - 21/7]

RAAAAAAAAH pure AGGRESSIVE japanese hardcore/crust punk

Flood by They Might Be Giants [first - 21/7]

continuing with my sudden TMGB obsession

MAKE A LITTLE BIRDHOUSE IN YOUR SOUL
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/04/2016 00:38
  • Post subject:
updatey time

Apollo 18 by They Might Be Giants [first - 21/7]

TMBG-hype me might have more to say about this, turn the clocks back a couple weeks Wink

Raped Ass by Anti-Cimex [first - 22/7]

more BLISS hyper-crust punk shit i live for

Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing by Discharge [first - 22/7]

can't be vibing crust without listening to this.... it's all so fucking energetic

面を洗って出直して来い by Gauze [first - 22/7]

HTEHATHHRAEWHHAETHAWHETHAR

Burning Farm by Shonen Knife [first - 22/7]

Shonen Knife are cute.

Death Church by Rudimentary Peni [first - 22/7]

pretty nice stuff

Live CBGB's NYC 1998 by Alec Empire vs Merzbow [first - 22/7]

i mean the mere fact an alec empire vs merzbow album exists is enough to make me cum, the fact it's also actually fucking great phwoar. noise meets breakcore in the most conflicting but simultaneously PERFECT way

Shrines by Purity Ring [first - 28/7]

wish trap-influenced synthpop worked more than it sounded... beyond Fineshrine nothing here is anything FABULOUS but it's all real good still, i just wish my trapsynth could be a little more fire yknow

Desire 願う by Spazzkid [first - 28/7]

more trapsynth. this one i vibed more to. thx @gabe for the rec

Obaa Sima by Ata Kak [first - 2/8]

i mean, it's nice, but it just sorta didn't vary enough for me.... *sigh* there goes all the hype

And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside O...o La Tengo [first - 3/8]

BOOYAH purty dreamy soundscapes mmm

I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One by Yo La Tengo [relistens]

aaaaaaaaa this one's comforting. a big hug. warm jumpers in cold winters. first kisses. autumn leaves falling. perfect for lethargic nights such as these.
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/29/2016 23:10
  • Post subject:
"diary" update

Smooth Like Power Steering by Naomi Elizabeth [first - 8/8]

many relistens. amazing dance-pop. naomi is queen

Doppelgänger by The Fall Of Troy [first - 11/8]

upon the rec of a fr3nd. v mathy post-hardcore it bangs

Views by Drake [first - 12/8]

believe the hype this is lit fuk th h8rz

Welcome To Warp Zone! by Nmesh [first - 13/8]

wew. 4 hour video game dj mix. amazingly intense and full of the adventure all yr fav 80s/90s vidyagamz promised

Yank Crime by Drive Like Jehu [first - 14/8]

yay

Philosophy Of The World by The Shaggs [first - 24/8]

better than a ton of genuinely experimental rock from the 60s. it's a beautiful chaotic twee mess

Slime Season 3 by Young Thug [first - 26/8]

fire fire fire

she suck on that dick on the plane and i just called her airhead

E•mo•tion Side B by Carly Rae Jepsen [first - 26/8]

incredible, obviously

Show No Mercy by Slayer [first - 26/8]

creepier and scarier than most black/death metal lmao

JEFFERY by Young Thug [first - 28/8; relistens]

THUGGA'S BEST

JEFFERY SIGNS OUT

AOTY EASY

Flockaveli by Waka Flocka Flame [first - 29/8]

Hard in Da Paint is a major jam and this entire album has gorgeous production and fuckkkkkkk it's all just intensely overwhelming

The State vs. Radric Davis by Gucci Mane [first - 29/8]

shrug