Album of the day (#1842): Hospice by The Antlers

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
PsychologistHD

United States

• Posted: 12/16/2015 08:08
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
There's nothing to get, really. The album's kind of a one-trick pony, and if you aren't hooked by its emotional arc, it's unlikely you will be by forcing it on yourself over and over.

I like the album but I mostly agree with this. Other than emotional impact the music isn't particularly interesting.
  • Visit poster's website
HoldenM
To Pedantically Split Infinitives

United States

• Posted: 12/16/2015 09:15
  • Post subject:
Yeah. This is actually a very simply written album. It's produced really well, and the lyrics are phenomenal. So, yeah. It's a bit lacking. But, as has been said, if you can at least appreciate the aesthetic, Hospice is a real force.

Also, I still stand by the opinion that "Bear" is not about abortion. For an album this focused and consistent, it really doesn't make sense, especially given how loose the narrative is, it's a really specific point that doesn't work. The metaphor could just as easily refer to their burgeoning love/relationship, which makes way more sense, since the whole focal point of the record is about abuse with relationships. I don't know. Seems more symmetrical to me.

Track picks
2. Kettering
3. Sylvia
7. Two
9. Wake
10. Epilogue
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 12/16/2015 15:48
  • Post subject:
HoldenM wrote:
Yeah. This is actually a very simply written album. It's produced really well, and the lyrics are phenomenal. So, yeah. It's a bit lacking. But, as has been said, if you can at least appreciate the aesthetic, Hospice is a real force.

I really like this album a lot. As far as "indie rock" goes, Hospice would probably be near the top of the "genre" for me. But I don't really think the lyrics are all that strong. In fact they kind of seem shallow or at least take advantage of the sad theme it tries to push. Like it seems as though the album just sort of presents sad stuff and while saying "see how terrible this is" without really providing depth to it. It's about as general as you can get, but maybe that was their goal anyway. Listening to the lyrics it just feels like there's some lost connection there.

Like I said, I do like it, but I can certainly see how people don't think of this as the "emotionally raw powerhouse" that's it built up to be.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 12/16/2015 23:10
  • Post subject:
I never much liked this album. Cuz, idk, vocals maybe. Just not my thing.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 12/16/2015 23:15
  • Post subject:
I'm a big fan of Silberman's falsetto. Also the songs here are great live. Yeah it's a one-trick pony but its trick still works on me, and I do think it's a lot less lyrically hackneyed than a lot of indie music that strives to be "emotional". The metaphors don't seem too forced etc. Also ik it's just an intro but Prologue is by far the most musically interesting song here