I'm old now and am finding it hard to love new artists

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/10/2016 06:17
  • Post subject: I'm old now and am finding it hard to love new artists
Anyone older have any advice on finding new music that you actually love?

Sometimes I'll find something I find cool but I'm often disappointed with top 2015 or 2014 albums and I wish I could appreciate it better, but I wonder if it's because I'm old... hehe... and when I say old, I'm 31.

When I first saw this article (http://www.avclub.com/article/new-study...-33-218752), I called bullshit, but now I'm wondering if it isn't true and it kinda scares me because it might be true? I see it in my older siblings too. I have a brother that is 14 years older than me and he couldn't get into Muse, yet we share very similar tastes and he is a lover of good music.

Somehow I'm stuck into late 80's-mid 2000's and then my parents generation of the 50's and 60's.

I find myself finding albums from decades ago that I appreciate anew for me because I didn't discover it before, but new music, not so much.

I mean Royal Blood I dig, but then I realized that's just old rock ideas rehashed.

Swans and Alt-J is pretty cool, but they aren't on the same level as U2 or Nirvana or R.E.M. or Arcade Fire.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 01/10/2016 07:35
  • Post subject: Re: I'm old now and am finding it hard to love new artists
sethmadsen wrote:
Swans aren't on the same level as Arcade Fire.

Not gonna make that an argument of quality, but worth noting that Swans' debut came out in 83 to Arcade Fire didn't even form until 2001.

Not really old enough to comment on this, but based on your charts, here's some newer stuff you might like:

Cope by Manchester Orchestra

based on: Minus The Bear

Pleasant Living by Tiny Moving Parts

based on: As Tall As Lions, Mutemath

Illumination by Miami Horror

based on: Teddybears and, to a lesser extent, LCD Soundsystem

Good Old War by Good Old War

based on: Simon and Garfunkel, CSNY (my parents are big on both of those and this is some of the only modern folk I've found that they like, the others being Iron and Wine, Bon Iver, and Amos Lee)

Shame, Shame by Dr. Dog

based on: The Shins and some folk (I actually prefer the more folk rock "Be The Void", but I think this indie pop with some psychedelic influences might be more up your alley)

In The Throes by The Paper Sons

based on: QOTSA and Foo Fighters to some extent, some really cool progressive rock with post-hardcore influences, among other things. Their EP, Fine Line, is my favorite EP ever released, but is a little older (07) and far removed from their only LP before they broke up.

Now and Loud by Brightside

based on: Radiohead to a point, but just sort of your general style and for some guys doing some new stuff

On top of that, I know Thrice and Brand New (and frankly, Built to Spill and Brand New for less obvious reasons) have a lot of crossover in terms of fans. I don't really like Thrice that much, but maybe you'd enjoy BN.

Good to see you back on the site - there really wasn't a lot of crossover between our time but I've been known to stalk through your charts and such because they are pretty cool.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 01/10/2016 18:23
benpaco wrote:
Not gonna make that an argument of quality, but worth noting that Swans' debut came out in 83 to Arcade Fire didn't even form until 2001.

Good to see you back on the site - there really wasn't a lot of crossover between our time but I've been known to stalk through your charts and such because they are pretty cool.

Wow, thank you VERY much. There are nice people on the internet, hahaha. I really appreciate the time you put into this. I'm listening to Cope right now and digging it.

Also thanks for setting me straight with Swans... I assumed they were newer because they were newer to me and didn't even look into them.

Also glad to hear that my time on this site helped someone, even if only a little.

Music lovers UNITE, alone in their dark rooms listening to music, hehe.
  • Visit poster's website
Decurso

Canada

• Posted: 01/10/2016 20:08
  • Post subject:
Check out the SXSW Artist Sampler torrents series. Hundreds of songs by less known artists from around the world on those. I discover about forty artists a year I really dig from these compilations. I gave up on radio and the like donkeys ages ago, so besides live shows, this is my main means of discovering new artists.

Live Albums

Death Metal
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 01/10/2016 20:55
sethmadsen wrote:
(http://www.avclub.com/article/new-study...-33-218752)

This article is kinda scary. I'd hate to think I'll be quitting in seven years. But as I said in an older thread, 'new music' is relative to when you first experience it. However, I'm also having trouble getting into modern-day artists for a number of reasons. benpaco, if you have any suggestions for me, I'm all ears.

Seth, all I have to offer is Dead Sara and Wolf Alice. Maybe you've heard them:

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 01/10/2016 20:59
  • Post subject:
It all depends on how much work you put into your interests, hobbies, passions, etc. I know some people way older than I am who are way more passionate and diverse in taste, but then I know people who only stuck to something they barely touched on and basically see music as fickle background noise.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 01/11/2016 01:19
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
It all depends on how much work you put into your interests, hobbies, passions, etc. I know some people way older than I am who are way more passionate and diverse in taste, but then I know people who only stuck to something they barely touched on and basically see music as fickle background noise.

Kinda... I mean I'm passionate about the stuff I already know. If you take a look at my charts, you can tell I am not the person that just heard something on the radio or a friend was listening to it so I thought it'd be cool to start listening to it. I'm not that type of person. I'm a musician (not by trade) and have been playing bass almost 20 years, so music is definitely NOT a fickle background noise.

What I am afraid of is not being able to appreciate new ARTISTS. There's a song or two that a new artist will release, but then I check out the album and I'm like, eh, that's ok.

I have yet to fall in love with an ARTIST that can stand up to artists I love that broke into the scene within the last three to five years. New albums, from artists I've always loved, sure. But when I look at the top ten of 2014 and 2015 charts, I can't really get into some of that stuff. Not sure why.

Having said that maybe you're right.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 01/11/2016 01:52
  • Post subject:
Decurso wrote:
Check out the SXSW Artist Sampler torrents series. Hundreds of songs by less known artists from around the world on those. I discover about forty artists a year I really dig from these compilations. I gave up on radio and the like donkeys ages ago, so besides live shows, this is my main means of discovering new artists.

Thanks, great idea... I am finding that I like songs from new artists, just not whole albums (one big criteria for me to be a great artist is that you make a holistic experience with your album... something I think the future just won't give me due to distribution styles of the now and future.

Thanks StreetSpirit, are these artists you really dig and can really get into, or just a couple songs you like from them?

Like I love this song... but not crazy about everything the band does:

Link
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 01/11/2016 01:53
  • Post subject:
I guess that's my point/question to all of you... are these artists you're suggesting or the artists in your 2015 lists or whatever artists you love, or is it on your list because they have a few songs you like and could go the rest of your life not really listening to the rest of the album?

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 01/11/2016 03:03; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 01/11/2016 02:28
benpaco wrote:

Good Old War by Good Old War

based on: Simon and Garfunkel, CSNY (my parents are big on both of those and this is some of the only modern folk I've found that they like, the others being Iron and Wine, Bon Iver, and Amos Lee)

It's creepy how much this guy does sound like Paul Simon... then again I feel like the Vampire Weekend dude sounds a bit like him as well.

Really digging this as well, thanks!
  • Visit poster's website