A music obsessive's listening log

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
ShadowColossi

United States

• Posted: 03/04/2016 06:11
  • Post subject: A music obsessive's listening log
I decided to start over with a brand new music diary. I didn't take my last one very seriously, and I was more or less narrating the albums as I listened on the rare occasion that I did write in it. Here I'm going to just go through some of my listens, new or relstens, and just a little bit about what I thought of them / why I listened to it.

Cosmogramma by Flying Lotus

-NEW LISTEN-

Ok, maybe not technically new, but still I haven't ever listened to this whole piece beginning to end. It was a strange experience, with some highlights scattered evenly throughout. Sonically, the rhythms are very different, sometimes jazzy, other times very jazzy, and it's all put on a platter with electronica elements ranging from drum clatterings, laser noises, and thick synthesized-bass notes. Some of my favorite tracks were the Thom Yorke featuring track "...And the World Laughs With You" since it reminded me of a jazzy, even more electronica Kid-A outtake, "Dance Of the Pseudo Nymph" for its long, up-and-down scaling bass riff that jumps in and out many times during the track's length, and "Pickled" which before today was the one track I had heard and loved by Flying Lotus. It's busy atmosphere and very expertly placed samples bring that drum pattern sound very very nice. Overall, I liked it, though I feel like some tracks could've been excluded and struck me as filler.

8.1 / 10

Blood On The Tracks by Bob Dylan

-NEW LISTEN-

Before you get mad- this isn't my first Dylan album at the least. This just so happens to be one of them that I haven't listened to yet. My Bob Dylan experience before this one were "Blonde on Blonde" (a favorite of mine), "Highway 61", and a vinyl copy of "Hard Rain" that I have played over and over. But I had seen a forum topic about how many of the top 1,000 overall I had listened to, so I decided to look it up. I have over 850 to listen to. And this one happened to be the highest ranked of those. From the beginning I was a fan. "Tangled Up In Blue" seems to set the mood for the record- it's art in the most literal sense. It's a break-up record (?)(please correct me if I'm wrong on that) or at the very least it's not a cheery one. It has cheery moments of course, but it is very much an album that's tangled up in blues. "Simple Twist of Fate" is the first track that I really loved. "Idiot Wind" is one of the most spiteful Dylan tracks I've heard so far, and I love it. the little bit of electric guitar in "Meet Me In the Morning" surprised me, but I definitely liked it. It's not terribly often I'm in a folksy mood, but I was writing music earlier today and the instrumental was very easy for me to come by, and I knew where that was going from the get-go. But as soon as I got to lyrics, writer's block showed it's ugly mug. So I came to Dylan for inspiration, lyrics in front of me as I listen.

8.6 / 10

The Seldom Seen Kid by Elbow

-RE-LISTEN-

One I listened to for the first time last night, and I loved it from the moment the chorus in "The Bones of You" kicked in. Their style is very peculiar- but I very much like that. They have an unconventional but excellent voice (unconventional for rock simply because he's a baritone) that gives some very emotional deliveries. It's chamber rock for sure- you can tell that from the first track. It's a simple one, a rolling electronic sound, kind of like a rock endlessly skipping across a road. He lays down a very sweet melodies, will swells of orchestral sounds to add accenting to the track. The whole album is delivered very clearly and openly- it rarely (if ever) feels busy or crowded, but still manages to do so without being minimal. This is very well crafted music- it swells, it builds, it falls, it crashes, and it soars. Every second of this record was crafted to get the emotion of the song across- and it does so very well.

8.9 / 10
  • Visit poster's website
ShadowColossi

United States

• Posted: 03/07/2016 07:30
  • Post subject:

Takk... by Sigur Rós

-NEW LISTEN-

So I finally got around to this one... Been meaning to listen to Sigur Ros's other works for a long time, but my list of music I should listen to is too long to remember. Anyways I really enjoyed this one, maybe not on the level that I enjoyed Agaetis Byrjun, but it's still a very strong record. A couple of the songs eventually just burst into a wall of distortion which I love, and there are a lot of highlights that are soft as well, especially Hopippalla (probably didn't spell that right but whatever). My favorite track would have to be Gong though, because I mean, those drums tho

8.9 / 10

Merriweather Post Pavilion by Animal Collective

-RE-LISTEN-

It's numba 2 on my chart for a reason

Still a 9.8 / 10

Loveless by My Bloody Valentine

-RE-LISTEN-

Y'all know what this is, so I won't go into it. I listened to it because I am working on a song currently and I'm using shoegazey guitars, but I can't quite get the sound I wanted. Came here for inspiration

Still a 9.1 / 10

Selected Ambient Works 85-92 by Aphex Twin

-NEW LISTEN-

A little dull to me on the first listen. I'll be revisiting though. Never blew me away with anything

6 / 10 (for now)
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 03/07/2016 13:07
  • Post subject: Re: A music obsessive's listening log
ShadowColossi wrote:

Blood On The Tracks by Bob Dylan

-NEW LISTEN-

Before you get mad- this isn't my first Dylan album at the least. This just so happens to be one of them that I haven't listened to yet. My Bob Dylan experience before this one were "Blonde on Blonde" (a favorite of mine), "Highway 61", and a vinyl copy of "Hard Rain" that I have played over and over. But I had seen a forum topic about how many of the top 1,000 overall I had listened to, so I decided to look it up. I have over 850 to listen to. And this one happened to be the highest ranked of those. From the beginning I was a fan. "Tangled Up In Blue" seems to set the mood for the record- it's art in the most literal sense. It's a break-up record (?)(please correct me if I'm wrong on that) or at the very least it's not a cheery one. It has cheery moments of course, but it is very much an album that's tangled up in blues. "Simple Twist of Fate" is the first track that I really loved. "Idiot Wind" is one of the most spiteful Dylan tracks I've heard so far, and I love it. the little bit of electric guitar in "Meet Me In the Morning" surprised me, but I definitely liked it. It's not terribly often I'm in a folksy mood, but I was writing music earlier today and the instrumental was very easy for me to come by, and I knew where that was going from the get-go. But as soon as I got to lyrics, writer's block showed it's ugly mug. So I came to Dylan for inspiration, lyrics in front of me as I listen.

This is my favorite album of all time. Like literally. It's beautiful. And yea, it's a break-up record kind of, though Dylan has denied that, but he was growing very estranged from his wife at the time, so it definitely had an impact.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2016 01:21
ShadowColossi wrote:

The Seldom Seen Kid by Elbow

-RE-LISTEN-

One I listened to for the first time last night, and I loved it from the moment the chorus in "The Bones of You" kicked in. Their style is very peculiar- but I very much like that. They have an unconventional but excellent voice (unconventional for rock simply because he's a baritone) that gives some very emotional deliveries. It's chamber rock for sure- you can tell that from the first track. It's a simple one, a rolling electronic sound, kind of like a rock endlessly skipping across a road. He lays down a very sweet melodies, will swells of orchestral sounds to add accenting to the track. The whole album is delivered very clearly and openly- it rarely (if ever) feels busy or crowded, but still manages to do so without being minimal. This is very well crafted music- it swells, it builds, it falls, it crashes, and it soars. Every second of this record was crafted to get the emotion of the song across- and it does so very well.

8.9 / 10

Very well put. I really like this album too and totally agree with what you said about it.

Also curious of how you rate and get a 8.9 rating, etc.? Does that translate to 90 on this site since it increments in 5's? Is it an 89% average?
  • Visit poster's website
ShadowColossi

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2016 08:22
sethmadsen wrote:

Very well put. I really like this album too and totally agree with what you said about it.

Also curious of how you rate and get a 8.9 rating, etc.? Does that translate to 90 on this site since it increments in 5's? Is it an 89% average?

What I do for ratings is I basically give all the tracks a score out of 5 stars (4/5, 5/5, etc.), add up all the points and divide it by the max number of stars. I believe this one got 49 / 55 stars altogether which is about 8.9. I'm a little ocd on music ratings lol. On this site I just put in the closest I can get to my rating.
  • Visit poster's website
ShadowColossi

United States

• Posted: 03/08/2016 09:04
  • Post subject:

Life Of Pause by Wild Nothing

-NEW LISTEN-

Rather disappointed in this one. I wasn't expecting anything spectacular, but I was expecting something Nocturne-esque from him. Instead I found a rather empty sounding record without a standout track. His usual reverb-drenched electro pop with catchy basslines and wild electronics are replaced by reverb-drenched pop that doesn't seem to really have much force in a calming or catchy way. Sounds like he's not putting in half the effort he put into his other records.

5.4 / 10

Stranger Things by Yuck

-RE-LISTEN-

Like last time I listened to it, I enjoyed it. Well... The second half. right at about the point of "I'm Not Ok" is where I think this record really hits its stride. That sound, as well as "Hearts In Motion" and "Yr Face" are very strong tracks. "I'm Not Ok" bursts into distortion near the end of the track and sets the mood for the rest of the record. The distortion-drenched catchy riff in "Hearts In Motion" and the shoegazey goodness of "Yr Face". "Yr Face" is my favorite, with a rather stunning MBV-style glid guitar riff. I think that this record is getting a lot of shit that it doesn't deserve, I quite like it. Despite losing the incredible talent that Daniel Blumberg was, Max's guitar parts are still great, taking influences from My Bloody Valentine, 90s punk rock in general, and indie rock chord progressions in a similar way that he did in their debut. I might get a lot of hate for saying this- but I like it.

8.4 / 10

Painting With by Animal Collective

-RE-LISTEN-

My favorite band released a new record- how could I not listen to it again? Sadly, I was still a little disappointed. I liked "FloriDada", "On Delay", and "Bagels in Kiev"... but that's about it. I'm not a fan of their "trading syllables" method that they use on many of the tracks here... I feel like they are muting each other, not letting either voice get a good say in the song- it takes the emotion out of the long phrases that they used in records like "Merriweather", "Strawberry Jam", and "Feels". In Merriweather they both had verses going on at the same time, a main one, and one behind it to accent it. But one was always front and center- there to state it's point and deliver the song. In this one, neither states a point in many of the songs. Not a bad release, but due to the amount I have enjoyed their previous releases, a disappointing one.

7.2 / 10
  • Visit poster's website
ShadowColossi

United States

• Posted: 03/11/2016 21:30
  • Post subject:

Laughing Stock by Talk Talk

-NEW LISTEN-

Finally got around to the Talk Talk records. Is it ambient post-rock? Post-jazz? Noise Rock? I can't tell. It will try your patience for sure, but there are some great moments here. The distortioned chords of "Ascension Day", the moody chord progression in "After the Flood" were highlights. But it's not without it's flaws- it drones on a little aimlessly in some parts (the beginnings of "Myrrhman" and "Taphead" come to mind), and often times the drumming, while exciting and complex, repeats itself to the point where it loses its appeal. "New Grass" is the albums rewarding centerpiece- the name says it all. It's fresh, exciting, yet calming. Makes you wanna sit back and relax. Unless you try to figure out what time signature it's in like me- then you'll destroy your brain before realizing it's actually a pretty straightforward 6/8. I'll be revisiting it for sure.

8.3 / 10

Spirit Of Eden by Talk Talk

-NEW LISTEN-

I definately should have started with this one- there's a reason it's their top rated album. To me, this album is the audible version of one moment- the moment before. That feeling you get when you know something amazing is going to happen. It's like being at the very top of a huge drop on a rollercoaster. Talk Talk repeateedly bring you tot he edge for a minute at most- blasting distortion, a trembling voice, and crashing drums- and a piano. Then, just as quickly as it's there- it's gone. The quiet, surreal sounds are back. And again you wait.

9.3 / 10

Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd

-RE-LISTEN-

What can I say? It's stunning. Both "Shine On"s are masterpieces- ambient backgrounds and beautiful textures behind gorgeous guitar bends. The only iffy point on the record to me is "Welcome to the Machine". Sometimes I like it (sort of), but most of the time I find it too much... Too much sampling? To many vocal filters? I'm not sure. It just bothers me. But I've been listening to this record a lot lately. It's still fantastic.

9.2 / 10
  • Visit poster's website
ShadowColossi

United States

• Posted: 03/17/2016 03:26
  • Post subject:
Been in a bit of a music rut the last few days. Been listening to a lot of albums that I've been overplaying a lot recently, so instead of doing my usual "listen to some classics you haven't heard yet", I stuck to what I have found myself loving time and time again- dreamy, ambient rock / shoegaze.

A Storm In Heaven by The Verve

-NEW LISTEN-

I always wondered if anyone had made truly psychedelic shoegaze, and here it is. It draws its main influences from groups leading the shoegaze era in the early 90s, mainly My Bloody Valentine, Ride and The Jesus and Mary Chain. They combine these dreamy distortion-drenched guitars with some brighter, dreamy guitar riffs, usually with a bright chorus sound or some delay. The whole album is drenched in effects- and for most of the shoegaze fans it will be instantly digestable. Others might have to get used to it, but there are some really great tracks on here. Headphones highly recommended.

8.8 / 10

I Wasn't Born To Lose You by Swervedriver

-NEW LISTEN-

New swervedriver. Didn't know that was a think until I saw this at my local record shop. So naturally I looked it up. It's not astounding, and I listened to the first few tracks before but never gave any in-depth listenings until today. They take a step back from the harder riffs and harsher chords from their earlier work, and work around dreamy textures and poppy guitar riffs most of the time. The album itself has a very bright sound to it, and it makes for a pleasant listen. But nothing about it really strikes you as unique or new- it sounds like most dream pop you would hear today with a bit of shoegaze influence thrown in there. Not a bad listen, just a little dry in some places and could use a little more variety.

7.8 / 10

Kveikur by Sigur Rós

Took a look at another Sigur Ros record- I like all of their material that I've heard so far. The drumming continues to get better and better to me, and on this one I think they really stepped up their game. They have some really nice, quick drum patterns that contrast to the slower, march-style drums of Agaetis Byrjun, sort of like they did on some tracks on Takk... This one is just as dreamy and arguably beautiful as any of their other material. A little bit catchier almost is a way I'd describe this one. I'm not sure exactly. But I like it a lot. They also do some electronic tinkering here, with a booming bass part on the stunning opener "Brennisteinn". It sounds like something you'd hear during the climax of a movie. It's also a lot darker than their earlier releases. Really looking forward to getting to the rest of their material. Will probably do () next. Or maybe the one with the album cover that is just so awkward to look at (I really don't wanna take the time to type that name). We'll see.

8.7 / 10
  • Visit poster's website
ShadowColossi

United States

• Posted: 03/20/2016 09:13
  • Post subject:
Let's go in order, shall we? Not like it matters.

Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot by Sparklehorse

-NEW LISTEN-

viva-whoda-what, now? God that album title is as atrocious as the rather unsettling album cover. That would all make sense if you only listened to "Ballad Of a Cold Lost Marble", which ruined what was going on a flawless last six tracks. But anyways to the record. It's quite sad, and it hit me harder than their last release I listened to, "Good Morning, Spider" (as suggested by Sageamagoo, thanks man). It contains some very heartbreaking songs, not necessarily for lyrical content, but the songwriting and lo-fi quality just kinda hits me. Highlights were "Homecoming Queen", "Weird Sisters", "Cow", "Most Beautiful Widow In Town", and "Someday I Will Treat You Good". Its just nice, slow, heartbreaking rock. Very well put together. If you like any of Sparklehorse's albums, you'll like this one too.

8.7 / 10

Harvest by Neil Young

-NEW LISTEN-

Part of my "I should listen to the top 1,000 albums on this site! Cuz that won't take forever!" project. Forgive me, my parents raised me on mellow christian music *throws up in mouth*, so I've had to find good music on my own- and that includes all of the classics. This just happens to be one I haven't taken the time to listen to yet. Overall, it was very inconsistent to me. As a whole, it may not be great, but there are definitely great songs here, no matter how much the bland percussion bothered me sometimes. "A Man Needs a Maid" was a beautiful track, followed by the to-my-understanding hit song on the record "Heart of Gold", which I also enjoyed (maybe because unlike some people I haven't heard it over and over). "Old Man" had some great guitar work, as well as "The Needle and the Damage Done" (thinking about learning that last one), and my personal favorite, "Alabama". Despite the title bring an annoying ring of "sweet home alabama" in my ears, the stellar track quickly erased that. Surprisingly enough, he kicked in the overdrive on his guitar and it made for a track that stood out among the rest for me- it just sounded much more powerful and pronounced. Anyways, like I said- good, but inconsistent.

8.0 / 10

L.A. Woman by The Doors

-RE-LISTEN-

One of my favorites and one of the first albums my friend who originally got me into music showed me. Great start, and I just realized I didn't have it on any of my album charts! Haven't heard it in a while, but I put it on and was quickly reminded of what I loved about it. The raspy voice, the astounding songwriting, and that hint of psychedelia. They never repeat themselves too much, and I love that- it's complex and it's not repetitive.... Wait... Have I listened to any of their other albums?

To be continued...

8.8 / 10
  • Visit poster's website
ShadowColossi

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2016 22:33
  • Post subject:

Teen Dream by Beach House

-NEW LISTEN... SORTA-

I mean, I've heard it before. But this was the first time I sat down and listened to it as an album, beginning to end. It's a pleasant record for sure, a great relaxing atmosphere. I don't know if I'd call it one of the best of that year, however.

8.4 / 10

Með Suð í Eyrum Við Spilum Endalaust by Sigur Rós

-NEW LISTEN-

My least favorite of the Sigur Ros albums I've listened to so far. Still good, just seems like it's missing some of the blissful "holy shit" moments that the rest of their records do so well.

8 / 10

Wowee Zowee by Pavement

-RE-LISTEN-

Tried to get into this one again. Once again, I found myself only really liking "We Dance", "Grounded", and "Kennel District". The rest is just kind of meh.

7.1 / 10

Everything Else Matters by Pinkshinyultrablast

-NEW LISTEN-

It starts out great, but the songs fade into each other quite badly. After a couple tracks, you find yourself wondering if they're using the same riffs or not.

6.7 / 10
  • Visit poster's website