Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 03/19/2016 19:46
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
I think I'm with Gowi on this. I like to hear what people think of what they like. Once upon a time I had big 'ol micro-essays to that effect but they were bad so now they're gone, but I still appreciate the presence of that kind of thing in other charts
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/19/2016 20:02
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
I think I'm with Gowi on this. I like to hear what people think of what they like. Once upon a time I had big 'ol micro-essays to that effect but they were bad so now they're gone, but I still appreciate the presence of that kind of thing in other charts

If they veer away from 'history lesson' then fair enough. If it's a personal, well-written, insightful and above all entertaining piece of prose reflecting the compiler's personality and connection with what they've included in their list then I'm all for it. When it comes to some, however (the aforementioned Hairy fella to name one) a précis half-inched from another source and passed off as their own does nothing for me.
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 03/19/2016 21:33
  • Post subject:
noWaxJim wrote:
If they veer away from 'history lesson' then fair enough. If it's a personal, well-written, insightful and above all entertaining piece of prose reflecting the compiler's personality and connection with what they've included in their list then I'm all for it. When it comes to some, however (the aforementioned Hairy fella to name one) a précis half-inched from another source and passed off as their own does nothing for me.

Yeah this is basically 100% what I was getting at
SuedeSwede
Ognoo

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/20/2016 01:22
  • Post subject:
noWaxJim wrote:
Suede's

babe <3

i dunno. gabe, jim, kevin, brandon, gavin, exit sense (HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!), tap, satie, cripplingautism, gowi all have dank charts.
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 03/20/2016 04:53
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:

Totally agree, this is exactly why I write something for every entry of my year charts (the more current ones I mean), and it's what I'm working on on my overall.

As for charts, there's a handful I frequent. Dbz has some good ones, Jim's got some good ones, satie and skinny too. Norm has a pretty great soul chart. Gowi HAD some great metal charts and then he deleted them for some dumb reason. Cause he's dumb.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/20/2016 05:06
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Gowi HAD some great metal charts and then he deleted them for some dumb reason. Cause he's dumb.

They'll be back eventually.
  • Visit poster's website
Space-Dementia

United States

• Posted: 03/20/2016 21:59
  • Post subject:
babyBlueSedan has a really cool chart. I don't agree with all the choices, and there's a couple I haven't heard, but the comments are so good. The one-sentence-summaries he writes are so amazingly on-point.
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/21/2016 01:25
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
I’m kind of bored by charts without notes, in all honesty. Perhaps this is a character flaw on my part but I feel you don’t really get a comprehensive understanding beyond a list of albums. You can infer sounds they like, but that’s about it. Even with my unfinished chart I try to give that understanding—that personal exposition to the reader so they don’t just go “huh, 4 stars I guess.”.

i absolutely agree. if i hadn't bothered writing notes for mine i honestly just wouldnt bother putting it up, it aint interesting enough on its own.
  • Visit poster's website
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 03/21/2016 05:00
  • Post subject:
I used to mess around with notes but I realized they almost unanimously were either longwinded and ugly or just kind of misrepresented the albums for the sake of catchiness. Now I don't really care for writing about music. Dancing about architecture and all that. The albums speak for themselves, I think.

Anyways, back to the question at hand...SuedeSwede.
Grzywa

Poland

• Posted: 03/21/2016 09:45
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
I’m kind of bored by charts without notes, in all honesty. Perhaps this is a character flaw on my part but I feel you don’t really get a comprehensive understanding beyond a list of albums. You can infer sounds they like, but that’s about it. Even with my unfinished chart I try to give that understanding—that personal exposition to the reader so they don’t just go “huh, 4 stars I guess.”.

Point taken, and a fair one it was. I'm planning to start writing notes shortly. As long as there's enough time...

Anyway, in terms of groundbreaking or eye-opening or whatever album discoveries, I've taken most from Satie's charts, so he gets my vote.