Point of Discussion: Purism vs. Tokenism

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 03/28/2016 14:43
  • Post subject: Point of Discussion: Purism vs. Tokenism
POINT OF DISCUSSION

This is Point of Discussion, a thread for people to discuss issues and topics related to music in a thoughtful and productive way. The goal of this is to make you think, to make you take a look at what you believe, why you believe it, and what others believe. Good discussion is the key to any society, and this is a place where, hopefully, that can be fostered. If you would like a certain topic to be discussed or question to be posed, PM me or post here and I'll toss it in when I can.

All of that being said, there are a few guidelines.

The Guidelines:

1. Don't be a dick - it's fairly simple, just be civil. Say what you want, believe what you want to believe, that's fine, just don't be a dick about it.
    2. All opinions are welcome - no matter how unpopular you may think your opinion is (or how unpopular it eventually proves to be), post it. It's welcome. Just be prepared to defend that opinion if it's challenged.
    3. There are no wrong opinions - like, it's literally impossible. These are opinions, so no matter how strongly you feel about it, it's neither right nor wrong, it's just an opinion, so keep that in mind.
    4. The conversation can go anywhere - even if the discussion goes off of the original topic, that's fine. All kinds of tangents are possible, just try to keep it semi-relevant.

The Topic:

If someone would like to expand on these definitions (or correct them if they're wrong) go for it.

Purism - Assuming that there are strict "rules" to what a genre is and discrediting any artist that strays from those "rules" e.g. "[insert artist here] isn't REAL hip-hop"

Tokenism - Giving little more than a cursory glance at a genre, listening only to a couple specific artists (typically the "classics") and then assuming you know everything about that genre e.g. "I listened to My Bloody Valentine so I'm way super into shoegaze"

Or as Apple so elegantly put it:

Applerill wrote:
Purism: "'Through the Fire and Flames' doesn't fit the structural rules for power metal, and therefore shouldn't be taken seriously"- My brother George.

Tokenism: "Dur, I don't have time for all these power metal albums when I got Keeper of the Seven Keys dur hur"- Me to my brother around a year ago

Is one of these better than the other? Are they both good? Bad? Do they even matter? Do you prescribe to one of these points of view? Why?

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair
  • Posted: 03/28/2016 15:35
  • Post subject:
As with all things, its about having a healthy balance.

Purism is a product of being a big fish in a small pond, asserting your dominance. Tokenism is the product of being a small fish in a big pond, trying to gain an identity.

Of the two, purism is at least productive, trying to conserve genre guidelines (which could be a good or bad thing, but at least it's fighting for a belief), however its usually in attempt to inflate a sense of self-importance. Tokenism is only the latter.

Assume you don't know everything; learn from others; share your opinions.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland
  • Posted: 03/28/2016 16:19
  • Post subject:
Both are infantile, and being from a metal community before I ran into both pretty constantly. I’d have to say in my experience I’ll take purists over tokenists any day of the week because at least they are somewhat informed on their genres of choice and don’t sound infantile in their framework. But I would liken both to being shameful perspectives to take in a discussion of a genre/album.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States
  • Posted: 03/28/2016 16:41
  • Post subject:
This definition of tokenism seems like it's set up to be obviously worse, since it assumes an expertise in the genre that isn't there, whereas the purist is simply overly strict, but at least it's based on knowledge. I think it would make more sense to compare the purist behavior to people who think the greatness of an album can be appreciated without an interest or deep knowledge of the genre.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States
  • Posted: 03/28/2016 16:52
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Both are infantile

Yup. Any sort of elitism is stupid.

Here's a question. At what point is it not tokenism? Like how many different shoegaze records do I need to listen to for it not to be tokenism?

And is the creation and use of terms like tokenism and purism just another act of elitism?
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland
  • Posted: 03/28/2016 16:56
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Yup. Any sort of elitism is stupid.

Here's a question. At what point is it not tokenism? Like how many different shoegaze records do I need to listen to for it not to be tokenism?

And is the creation and use of terms like tokenism and purism just another act of elitism?

That goes into the whole idea of “when do I become informed?” which is a difficult question to answer, but I would assume that would encompass a certain understanding of the genre they are pursuing— the pioneers, the innovators, the first imitators, etc. Like you don’t have to listen to everything under the sun to have a “credible” or informed perspective on a style of music.

I think the terminology existing is just someone making an observation about certain, albeit limited, perspectives in a elitist mindset. I don’t think it is elitist to create a definition to help understanding these styles of thinking.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States
  • Posted: 03/28/2016 16:58
  • Post subject:
I dunno, I think we shouldn't be calling either of these "shameful" per Se, because we all commit these fallacies whether we realize it or not.

For instance, I don't mean to pick on Hayden and BenPaco for this, but when they were talking about Jean Rollin being horrible and things like Halloween just being "pretty good" (once again I don't remember what exactly they said, but they aren't the point, because this is really common), they were basically being tokenists towards horror, not realizing how canonized these movies he considers to be "pretty good" are. My point is, none of us know about everything, and our inexperience often instinctively leads to tokenism. It's nothing to be ashamed of; you just need to be conscious of when you're doing it.

Purism is a little less widespread, and some people even argue that it can be a good thing, but I feel like it too often leads to people missing out on great trends coming up ahead. A lot of people hated on pop-punk and slam death metal when I was a kid, and now those are often considered among the most important genres of the 2000s. You just need to be careful that you're not like Adorno praising Schoenberg over Stravinsky.
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States
  • Posted: 03/28/2016 17:03
  • Post subject:
aren't you being a tokenist now tho Applerill, taking one example and saying it means something for a whole bunch of people? because I do not think I do this behavior.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States
  • Posted: 03/28/2016 17:05
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:

I think the terminology existing is just someone making an observation about certain, albeit limited, perspectives in a elitist mindset. I don’t think it is elitist to create a definition to help understanding these styles of thinking.

Yeah, I'm more or less thinking out loud about the purpose and reasoning behind grouping people within these labels. People become overly concerned about how other consume and perceive music, and they become obsessed with the virtually non-existent guidelines of sub genres to the point where it's irritating.

Did I really know less about shoegaze when I had only heard stuff like MBV, Ride, Slowdive, Lush, etc? I Don't know.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States
  • Posted: 03/28/2016 17:10
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:

For instance, I don't mean to pick on Hayden and BenPaco for this, but when they were talking about Jean Rollin being horrible and things like Halloween just being "pretty good" (once again I don't remember what exactly they said, but they aren't the point, because this is really common), they were basically being tokenists towards horror, not realizing how canonized these movies he considers to be "pretty good" are.

I don't understand. Are you trying to say that if we agree with general consensus, we're Tokenists?
  • Visit poster's website