The Repo Zone: 1999

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 112, 113, 114 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 03/08/2022 21:25
  • Post subject:
Due to a lot of how trends started in the 80s (and a lot of them in metal) its hard to really subtract one from a top ten. I'd probably throw out Slayer out of those ten given you already have thrash/speed representation on the list. Not even sure what my top ten would be since there are a lot of bands to pick from that were pioneers. Quite the foundational and transitional era.
Repo wrote:
WTF! Black Metal actually began in 1969 with this ...

Link

I mean it's not Bathory. But pretty fucking close. FActor in that it's 1969, and it's like Twisted Evil !!!

Someone tell me that that riff & tone is NOT Black Metal.

Jacula is a complex situation since nothing has ever been proven regarding the production of the album. It wasn't even released properly until the new millenium and a lot of the conversation about its impact, release, etc. is shrouded in mystery and heresay. A good portion of people who have researched it are fairly certain Jacula were a hoax at worst and at best hadn't released anything (or toured explicitly) to create an influence or foundational merrit. It's a nice story but I did some digging a few years ago and there's nothing 100% concrete there.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 03/08/2022 22:44
  • Post subject:
Purely based on influence and innovation and only taking into account the 80s work? I'd go with

Maiden
Priest
Mercyful Fate/King Diamond
Metallica
Napalm Death
Possessed
Venom
Bathory
Helloween
Death

Some bands that should be in there but it's limited to 10: Sepultura, Celtic Frost, Queensryche, Saxon, Necrophagia, Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, Godflesh, Ministry, Candlemass, Motorhead, Anthrax, Megadeth, Carcass, Repulsion, Fates Warning, Crimson Glory

I should add that Priest and Death are here because they were hugely popular and influential more than "did the thing first". Maiden and King Diamond are in the similar category, but they did add a twist to the typical heavy metal sound. Necrophagia, Godflesh and Celtic Frost are the opposite: incredibly innovative, but not as big as the 10 (minus Possessed) on my list. Possessed were too ahead of their time to exclude them. Candlemass... I just see them as Black Sabbath on steroids. But their debut might be the best 80s metal album period.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 03/08/2022 23:37
  • Post subject:
Don't forget Death Angel and Dark Angel!

Link

Link

Plenty of others, but IDK why people omit them.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 03/09/2022 16:22
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Don't forget Death Angel and Dark Angel!

Link

Link

Plenty of others, but IDK why people omit them.

Both have some of my favourite thrash albums. Especially Darkness Descends, that album rips front to back. But I wouldn't call either band inventive, they've started thrashing several years after Kill 'Em All. Ok, Dark Angel were faster and crazier than other thrash bands, while Death Angel started playing more technical stuff before it was cool. I guess Megadeth is another borderline band, but they've written Peace Sells..., so I thought omitting them wasn't an option Very Happy

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 03/10/2022 18:54
  • Post subject:
I'd also put Fates Warning over Queensryche in my "most important prog metal band of the 80s" category and that's without mentioning their impact on the foundations of power metal.

Link

Link

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/11/2022 00:15
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
I'd also put Fates Warning over Queensryche in my "most important prog metal band of the 80s" category and that's without mentioning their impact on the foundations of power metal.

Link

Link

These two songs from 1985 admittedly rule!!! I worship at the altar that is Fates Warning Spectre Within!!! BUT (and it's a big but), in 1983 one of the most groundbreaking and game changing LPs was actually an EP simply titled Queensryche that contained ...

Link

and

Link

Two of the the most talked about songs in all of 1983!!! There is no way in hell that that these two songs didn't influence Fates Warning's development!

Fates Warning would make my top fifteen though (most likely!) along with Napalm Death, Celtic Frost, Sepultura, and Saint Vitus.

EDIT: And now I totally have to see River's Edge again!!! Watching After Hours rn! Sooooo good!!!! Twisted Evil

Last edited by Repo on 03/11/2022 00:28; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 03/11/2022 00:26
  • Post subject:
Yeah both bands are absolutely essential (equally so) for prog metal going forward. I just prefer Fates and think their impact might've been broader but that'd be a claim I'd have to get actual metrics on.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/11/2022 00:44
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Due to a lot of how trends started in the 80s (and a lot of them in metal) its hard to really subtract one from a top ten. I'd probably throw out Slayer out of those ten given you already have thrash/speed representation on the list. Not even sure what my top ten would be since there are a lot of bands to pick from that were pioneers. Quite the foundational and transitional era.

Yeah. I thought about swapping out Slayer for Celtic Frost or Napalm Death for exactly this reason. BUT, behind Venom, Slayer is probably the most important band in the development of Extreme Metal. Everyone (and I mean everyone) wanted to be Slayer in the mid-to-late 80s!

The Teutonic Thrash Tree of Kreator, Destruction, and Sodom stems more from Slayer than Metallica. Your Dark Angel owe more to Slayer than Metallica!

Honestly for me and my friends back in 1983, Show No Mercy was as revered and listened to as Kill 'Em All! Slayer's influence with both Show No Mercy and Hell Awaits was seismic!
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 03/11/2022 01:12
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Yeah. I thought about swapping out Slayer for Celtic Frost or Napalm Death for exactly this reason. BUT, behind Venom, Slayer is probably the most important band in the development of Extreme Metal. Everyone (and I mean everyone) wanted to be Slayer in the mid-to-late 80s!

Hellhammer.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/11/2022 01:30
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Quote:

Hellhammer.

Ha! I LOVE Hellhammer! But no one wanted to be Hellhammer in the mid-to-late 80s. Not even Celtic Frost!!!
  • Visit poster's website