Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/02/2017 14:43
  • Post subject:
pa wrote:
meanwhile in Italy:
Moana

Not talking

Yeah, read that back when it came out. Thought they should have just kept the name as it was anyway Laughing

And thanks for the list Pa Smile Super glad to see Paterson so high up. Do you want me to tally the top 50?
pa
as it happens

Italy

• Posted: 04/02/2017 19:20
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Super glad to see Paterson so high up...

yeah that's a nice one; do u remember Marvin, the dog?
can I nominate him for best male performance? I mean...Marvin was as good as Adam Driver Laughing

Hayden wrote:
Do you want me to tally the top 50?

not yet buddy, I still have 5 movies on my wishlist, I will change it a little bit.
it will be ready on the 7th I guess

thank u so much!

Moana is a wonderful name btw, it means ocean, deep sea...it's lovely
Italians are dummy
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2017 22:40
  • Post subject:
To go over a few points:

1. I agree on Jackie. I will try to get to it. The subject isn't interesting to me at all. However, as a Natalie Portman fan, and based off the love of her performance and the little bits I've seen I'm pretty damn sure her performance alone is worth the watch. Also I believe it was Hayden who gave a glowing review of it a few months back and honestly that made me more interested in the direction and more technical aspects present in the film.

2. Toni Erdmann looks really good. My buddies at filmspotting loved it, and others whose opinions I respect. Will get to that once I find a good copy of it.

3. Picked up some blu rays and DVDs at the store today. Including Manchester By The Sea. I just watched it again, and it's solid as my number one of the year and one of my all time faves. It resonates with me intensely. Casey's performance is an all time great one, and some of the moments just shake me. I love the non linear timeline. And I adore the whole atmosphere and world of the movie. As far as films about death and tragedy impeding all forward thrust or happiness for a person, this is up there as one of the best. Reminds me of The Sweet Hereafter so much at times, and that's an all time top 10 movie for me. I guess I just gravitate to sobering, bone-deep sadness depicted in films. Also went to a very emotional memorial for a friend this morning. So this movie's power was further boosted as a result.

Also got a copy of Edge of Seventeen. Will watch that soon and maybe move it up higher (unlikely to go lower).

4. As for sausage party, never got around to it despite its constant presence just a click away on Netflix. Animation and comedy just haven't been drawing me out recently. May get around to it someday but there's about a 3 percent chance it'll be before the deadline.

5. Casey Affleck. I know i mentioned it earlier. But seriously this performance is so astounding I have to mention it again. Seeing it a second time knowing where the story goes and where his character is at emotionally/spiritually, just made me admire the power of his small actions and facial changes and the details of his performance.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/02/2017 23:16
  • Post subject:
pa wrote:
yeah that's a nice one; do u remember Marvin, the dog?
can I nominate him for best male performance? I mean...Marvin was as good as Adam Driver Laughing

Yeah, course I remember Marvin. One of the best parts. That mailbox scene? Gold. The dog actor was actually female (playing a different gender in film is very difficult, kudos to her for pulling it off so convincingly). Sadly, she passed away shortly after filming. I'd be all for it if you wanted to include her in the best actress category.

Quote:
1. I agree on Jackie. I will try to get to it. The subject isn't interesting to me at all. Also I believe it was Hayden who gave a glowing review of it a few months back and honestly that made me more interested in the direction and more technical aspects present in the film.

2. Toni Erdmann looks really good. My buddies at filmspotting loved it, and others whose opinions I respect. Will get to that once I find a good copy of it.

4. As for sausage party, never got around to it despite its constant presence just a click away on Netflix. Animation and comedy just haven't been drawing me out recently. May get around to it someday but there's about a 3 percent chance it'll be before the deadline.

It might be because I'm not American, but I really don't give a damn about JFK or Jackie Kennedy... which, you know, kinda makes sense. However, Jackie is easily one of my favourite of the year. Such a phenomenal final product. It's a far bigger film than just politics.

Yeah, Toni Erdmann is a must-not-miss film. I'm really surprised Hollywood wants to remake it... it's really European humour. There's one scene in particular that I think will go over terribly in an American version... I actually think they might have to cut it. But yeah, I saw it in a little theatre a couple of months back and for the entire last hour of the film the crowd was in hysterics. There's genuinely some things in Toni Erdmann that I've never seen in any other films Laughing It has all the signs of being a cult classic.

I thought Sausage Party was meh, but I'm still glad it exists.

And I agree with everything you said about Manchester By The Sea. It'll be an indie classic. Affleck's performance came out of nowhere (for me anyway) and hands-down deserved the Oscar.
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 04/03/2017 01:20
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
As for sausage party, never got around to it despite its constant presence just a click away on Netflix. Animation and comedy just haven't been drawing me out recently. May get around to it someday but there's about a 3 percent chance it'll be before the deadline.

Like I mentioned before,
StreetSpirit wrote:
So bring some friends over, split a 30-pack, or a bottle of Jack, or you whatever you like, put on Sausage Party and have a blast!
This movie is too much fun to pass up.

I've heard good things about Jackie, but as a history buff I'm skeptical. The history of the Kennedys is fascinating, and I'm pretty certain this movie is going to whitewash, omit, or plain disregard historical accuracy. The movie supposedly takes place in the aftermath of JFK's assassination. Will there be any mention of JFK being a bad husband by cheating on her? I doubt it. Will there be any mention of Jackie sleeping around with RFK during her grief post-assassination? Again, I doubt it.

Been busy and thus haven't seen much lately. Gonna try to catch Jackie and/or Demolition before deadline. Overall I wasn't impressed with the 2016's movie output.
  • Visit poster's website
AwaitingAndrew

United States

• Posted: 04/03/2017 01:32
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
1. I agree on Jackie. I will try to get to it. The subject isn't interesting to me at all. However, as a Natalie Portman fan, and based off the love of her performance and the little bits I've seen I'm pretty damn sure her performance alone is worth the watch. Also I believe it was Hayden who gave a glowing review of it a few months back and honestly that made me more interested in the direction and more technical aspects present in the film.

Honestly, I expected to get a pure Oscar-bait film out of Jackie, but I came out of it incredibly moved. The score from Mica Levi does as much, if not more, than Portman's Oscar worthy performance for the film IMO.

Quote:
Gonna try to catch Jackie and/or Demolition before deadline.

Definitely watch Demolition if you're a Jake Gyllenhaal fan as I am. It's not his best (but we're talking about one of the decade's best actors if you ask me), and not as humorous as the trailer suggests, but it's really good.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 04/03/2017 04:37
  • Post subject:
Please note, Hayden, I made a change on my female performances top 10 on the previous page.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/06/2017 18:10
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
Please note, Hayden, I made a change on my female performances top 10 on the previous page.

Updated Smile

A reminder that the deadline is coming up. If there's any interest in extending it a week, I'm all ears.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/07/2017 17:09
  • Post subject:
Tomorrow's the final day for lists Smile Hoping to see a small handful more.

Last edited by Hayden on 04/07/2017 17:33; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 04/07/2017 17:28
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
Final day for lists Smile Hoping to see a small handful more.

?

Deadlines are normally Saturdays, and I thought an extension was being considered?

Ok I'll get something posted today.
  • Visit poster's website