Favorite Senior Actors

View previous topic :: View next topic
badseed

United States

• Posted: 01/22/2018 14:15
  • Post subject: Favorite Senior Actors
I was working on the Best Ever Actors and Actresses list (submit your lists in the game section or via PM if you haven't yet) and was thinking about something. If you were just to take into consideration the work done by actors age 65+ and not taking into account their earlier careers who would you say is the best in the business?

Michael Caine at age 84 has technically been a senior citizen since the late 90s. In that time frame he's won an Oscar for The Cider House Rules and been phenomenal in the majority of Christopher Nolan's filmography. Also he's done great work in Quills, The Quiet American, Children of Men and Kingsman as well as starring in underrated modern classics like Henry Danger and Youth. Even the lesser films he's in are enhanced by his presence. Objectively he's probably the no-brainer #1.

Max von Sydow, aged 88, still has as much presence as he did in the Ingmar Bergman films 50-60 years ago. Speaking of old, I know I'm not the only one who first saw him in The Exorcist and thought he was in his 60s in that film and likely had already passed away until Minority Report came out 2002. While his films as a senior have been hit or miss and his roles aren't always meant to stand out he always makes the most of his screen time.

Christopher Plummer, also at age 88, has maintained an extremely high productivity rate and is the oldest person to win an Academy Award for acting.

At 87 Clint Eastwood has spent more time behind the camera than in front, but when he's been there, at worst he's still been Clint and at best he's put out career best performances in Million Dollar Baby and Gran Torino.

Donald Sutherland at 82, while having a hit or miss filmography, is still productive and usually quite good.

Udo Kier at 73 is just so mesmerizing to me. Whether it's bit parts in godson Lars Von Trier's films or the quirky magnificence of The Forbidden Room or any one of the crazy B-movies he's in, he's just a joy to watch.

Meryl Streep is only 68 but she's on a real hot streak as of late and doesn't seem to show any signs of slowing down.

Judi Dench at age 83 has been a senior for the entirety of this century, and has been one of the most consistently great actors of any age during that time frame as well.
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 01/22/2018 15:19
  • Post subject:
I guess Harrison Ford is my most favorite. I love him in The Fugitive and Air Force One.

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
gussteivi

Sweden

• Posted: 01/22/2018 15:20
  • Post subject:
Bruce Dern, solely for his performance in Nebraska. Best acting I've ever seen.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 01/22/2018 20:56
  • Post subject:
JOSweetHeart wrote:
I guess Harrison Ford is my most favorite. I love him in The Fugitive and Air Force One.

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

Ford was only in his early to mid 50s when he did those films so I wouldn't let that influence your answer. His films as a senior have been pretty fun for the most part though.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 01/23/2018 20:09
  • Post subject:
I picked Jack Lemmon as my #1 actor because his body of work is one of the greatest. And he could disappear into any role...leading, supporting, nice guy, asshole, serious, funny, etc. He was amazing. And he had longevity too. After turning 65, Lemmon's body of work wasn't as great, but it didn't slow him down, nor prevent him from performing his best.

Anyway, I like AfterHours's idea of ranking performances. However, a general performances list would be crazy. However, a 65+ performances list could be cool.
  • Visit poster's website
emptysquares

United Kingdom

• Posted: 05/15/2018 22:43
  • Post subject:
I vote either Morgan Freeman or Tommy Lee Jones
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 05/16/2018 10:17
  • Post subject:
Moose was 12 years old in the last year of Frasier. That's 84 years old in dog years.
  • Visit poster's website
Stille

• Posted: 05/19/2018 11:51
  • Post subject:
I love Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart. Always have. Obviously, I loved McKellen in LOTR and Stewart was awesome in Star Trek TNG.
  • Visit poster's website