Records that the artist did perfectly but doesn't amaze.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 02/18/2018 14:19
  • Post subject:
manurock wrote:

Tago Mago by Can

It appears as the best rated album after a few from Pink Floyd and King Crimson in progarchives. I have listened to the whole album two or three times and, though musically it seems complex and I am sure was a milestone in its era, I just don't like it. I will give it a couple more listens and, sadly, delete it from my music files Sad

I agree with Tap that you should probably keep this around, or download it again sometime, because it's definitely worth it.

My favourite Can album is Future Days though; but it's quite different from Tago Mago. I recommend trying Ege Bamyasi, it's closer sound-wise to Tago Mago and a more focused album. Is there anything specific about this album that bothers you btw? Perhaps the longer tracks?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 02/18/2018 14:33
  • Post subject:

Astral Weeks by Van Morrison
As much as I try in many different days and moods, I feel distant to this album emotionally, of course the songwritting is fantastic and I have read many reviews about this being Morrison's finest hour, but I can't scratch something memorable from it, it's a lovely tune tho.
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/18/2018 14:37
  • Post subject:
R.E.M. and I typically don't jibe, but I've got nothing against them.
manurock

Spain

• Posted: 02/18/2018 14:54
  • Post subject:
Facetious wrote:
manurock wrote:

Tago Mago by Can

It appears as the best rated album after a few from Pink Floyd and King Crimson in progarchives. I have listened to the whole album two or three times and, though musically it seems complex and I am sure was a milestone in its era, I just don't like it. I will give it a couple more listens and, sadly, delete it from my music files Sad

I agree with Tap that you should probably keep this around, or download it again sometime, because it's definitely worth it.

My favourite Can album is Future Days though; but it's quite different from Tago Mago. I recommend trying Ege Bamyasi, it's closer sound-wise to Tago Mago and a more focused album. Is there anything specific about this album that bothers you btw? Perhaps the longer tracks?

I love Pink Floyd, King Crimson and similar prog bands from the late 60's-70's, and also prog metal from the 90's-2000's, so length and non-pop structures is not a problem. It's more to do with the jazzy-improvised stuff. I do enjoy some King Crimson improvisations, not all, but here I just see noise most of the time and no beauty (don't take this last word badly, of course there must be beauty if so many people enjoy it and have been influenced by it). I'll take in mind what you and tap say and don't delete it but I don't think my opinion on the album will change too much in the future...

Last edited by manurock on 02/18/2018 14:56; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
travelful
BEA's Official Florida Man

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2018 14:56
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
R.E.M. and I typically don't jibe, but I've got nothing against them.

I second this. For what R.E.M is trying to do, they are doing it very well. It's just that what they're trying to do is boring.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/18/2018 14:59
  • Post subject:
manurock wrote:
It's more to do with the jazzy-improvised stuff.

But those are the good bits Crying or Very sad

Quote:
I second this. For what R.E.M is trying to do, they are doing it very well. It's just that what they're trying to do is boring.

And yeah, that's my main issue. I get why some people might like it, but I just tend to tune everything out.
manurock

Spain

• Posted: 02/18/2018 15:17
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
But those are the good bits Crying or Very sad

Actually there are worse bits for me - when the guy just says some phrase several times or starts shouting "nonsense" Razz
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 02/18/2018 15:25
  • Post subject:
manurock wrote:
Actually there are worse bits for me - when the guy just says some phrase several times or starts shouting "nonsense" Razz

It's aight, no worries, to each their own Smile

Have you tried Ege Bamyasi? It's a little bit more tangible. Vitamin C is very Floyd-esque (and very good).
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2018 15:46
  • Post subject:
indieshins wrote:

To Pimp A Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar

This. I think that it's pretty much a perfect album, but at the same time I also feel quite distant when listening to it. It's definitely an experience of loving the production, loving the rapping, loving what he's saying, but somehow it's all very cerebral and leaves me a bit cold at the same time (with the exception of a few tracks - Blacker the Berry, Wesley's Theory etc.)

Also, I'll second Tool, Luigii. I've yet to get through a complete album of theirs - it's a lot to take in. I've been going through some songs though and quite enjoying them. Not head over heels, but I get why they're so revered at least.

In all honesty, It took me several months to listen to To Pimp A Butterfly, and the first listen I wasn't crazy about it but after a good year with it and it is in my top 100. But I do understand this. Hell the feeling cold was how I felt with Lateralus. So no worries.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2018 15:50
  • Post subject:
Puncture Repair wrote:
I was about to go on a rant about how if you're not left floored then it doesn't matter how good or well put together a record is, but then realized it pretty much perfectly describes how I feel about a lot of Madlib's production, especially

Madvillainy by Madvillain

The guy has got to be hands down one of the most mature, developed and craftsmanlike producers period, but for whatever reason it never resonates with my insides or something - I'll rarely put his stuff on shuffle.

All except 'real' which slaps

You know what, I feel like I am going to not only have this problem with Madvillany but also with Donuts as well.
  • Visit poster's website