Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Lowkey

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2018 16:45
  • Post subject:
Lachapelle wrote:
Exactly why I made that statement.

You've listed albums that I guarantee the guy who posed the original question has already listened to. I simply added some offerings that likely went under the radar, and he was then thankful.

And yes I agree with you, that Atmosphere record will likely not be talked about in the future, however it is still an essential Hip Hop release for the 2010s because it shows the maturity of an artist who has been in the game for 20 years.

The fact that you listed multiple albums by each artist you mentioned kind of defeats the purpose of essential album to me. Essential artist maybe, but I'd be willing to bet that The Life of Pablo won't age as nicely as half of the albums I offered up.

I see what you’re saying now, thank you
  • Visit poster's website
boyd94

• Posted: 03/30/2018 17:45
  • Post subject:
Lowkey wrote:
Whether an album is good or not does not necessarily deem it to be essential.
You are only talking to soy hipsters who hate the mainstream if you have had multiple conversations with people who haven’t mentioned Pablo. It’s not even an absolute favorite of mine, but the impact that it had on the culture is undeniable

I really disagree.

By this token, the most essential records of the 1990s would be Alanis Morissette, Shania Twain, and Celine Dion. I wouldn't inflict that on someone who asked me for a selection of essential 90s records.
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2018 18:15
  • Post subject:
boyd94 wrote:
Lowkey wrote:
You are only talking to soy hipsters who hate the mainstream if you have had multiple conversations with people who haven’t mentioned Pablo. It’s not even an absolute favorite of mine, but the impact that it had on the culture is undeniable

I really disagree.

By this token, the most essential records of the 1990s would be Alanis Morissette, Shania Twain, and Celine Dion. I wouldn't inflict that on someone who asked me for a selection of essential 90s records.

This is the only good thing to come from TLOP.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Lowkey

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2018 19:17
  • Post subject:
boyd94 wrote:
Lowkey wrote:

I really disagree.

It’s a completely different conversation in modern
Hip-Hop where a good majority of the big albums are also critically acclaimed to a decent degree

To put it into perspective my favorite genres of music are black metal and neofolk, two genres that are considered relatively niche when it comes to music as a hole so I’m used to the whole essential not being equal to mainstream ideology

But when there are albums such as Take Care, MBDTF, Live.Love.A$AP, GKMC, etc all receiving critical praise, I think it’s fair to use those albums as examples for the topic at hand. It’s not like I’m out here throwing names like Wale, Wiz Khalifa, and Tyga into the mix
  • Visit poster's website
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/30/2018 19:52
  • Post subject:
Lachapelle wrote:
How I Got Over by The Roots

The Life & Death Of Scenery by L'Or...nd Mr. Lif

Piñata by Freddie Gibbs & Madlib

Duality by Captain Murphy

Southsiders by Atmosphere

The Water[s] by Mick Jenkins

The Earn by yU

90059 by Jay Rock

Hallways by Homeboy Sandman

777 by Paranom

March On Washington by Diamond District

Atrocity Exhibition by Danny Brown

All The Beauty In This Whole Life by Brother Ali

Rap Album Two by Jonwayne

Being You Is Great, I Wish I Could Be Y...elle Chris

Can't go wrong with any of these.

The ones I know, I like. I guess I'd like most of these. March on washington is one ive been wanting to hear. That homeboy sandman is one I've played a bit and should have it in my decade 100. I'm excited that he's apparently doing a collab album with Edan Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 03/30/2018 20:24
  • Post subject:
I've had difficulty getting into a lot of rap music of the 2010s. Kanye was easy cause he's not really from the 2010s. Same with Killer Mike, etc.

It took me about 2 to 3 years to see the brilliance of Kendrick Lamar's music (It felt novel, but not brilliant) beyond his lyrics (which are amazing).

But when I listen to acid rap or other rappers... idk... it feels like what prog rock did (got a bit complex) and while I can appreciate that from afar, it

Maybe peeps got some recs for me for someone who liked popular rap of the late 80s, 90s, and 2000s, but is having a hard time getting into rap artists of the 2010s? I typically like exciting, lyrically clever (and not a long stretch clever or hipster ironic clever) and powerful rap music. I got turned off by Kendrick at first because he kept saying his dick was big... I don't give shit. Then I realized at least one of those times he was talking about racism, so that kinda opened it up for me.

I mean the simple solution is listen to like 30 rap albums to find the 4 I like, but idk... maybe another day.
  • Visit poster's website
Graeme2

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/30/2018 21:25
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
I've had difficulty getting into a lot of rap music of the 2010s. Kanye was easy cause he's not really from the 2010s. Same with Killer Mike, etc.

It took me about 2 to 3 years to see the brilliance of Kendrick Lamar's music (It felt novel, but not brilliant) beyond his lyrics (which are amazing).

But when I listen to acid rap or other rappers... idk... it feels like what prog rock did (got a bit complex) and while I can appreciate that from afar, it

Maybe peeps got some recs for me for someone who liked popular rap of the late 80s, 90s, and 2000s, but is having a hard time getting into rap artists of the 2010s? I typically like exciting, lyrically clever (and not a long stretch clever or hipster ironic clever) and powerful rap music. I got turned off by Kendrick at first because he kept saying his dick was big... I don't give shit. Then I realized at least one of those times he was talking about racism, so that kinda opened it up for me.

I mean the simple solution is listen to like 30 rap albums to find the 4 I like, but idk... maybe another day.

There are still plenty rap records by newer artists that are looking back to the classic sound and still being creative and fresh. Couple I'd suggest:

In Celebration Of Us by Skyzoo
Packs by Your Old Droog
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 03/30/2018 21:52
  • Post subject:
@seth

Just listen to rock music if you don't get it. The exact same prog element you don't like is in the 2010s hip-hop so you likely won't get that either. Also, the Jack White album got me thinking some modern music is made by soulless computers, so If you don't like what's mainstream just stay in your old-time safety zone.
  • Visit poster's website
YoungPunk

• Posted: 03/30/2018 22:02
  • Post subject:
There's literally centuries of good old music out there...
  • Visit poster's website
Boltzmann
supplier of entropy

Netherlands

• Posted: 03/30/2018 22:11
  • Post subject:
Interesting topic, and I agree fully with your statement about the bias on BEA; declinism (and some other -isms I’m afraid to mention, because people will misunderstand what I mean) is very present on this site.
I’d say:

Pink Friday by Nicki Minaj: inspired too many artists and pretty much dictated/dictates the mainstream. Together with her empowering persona and controversial statements, she is what this decade needs but clearly not wants.
MDTF by Kanye West: mf genius, but as with most masterpieces, when you look good at it, it is more of a compilation of past accomplishments, but they are ample. I think 808s is his masterpiece.
DS2 by Future: just the vocals, production and narrative of a drug addict which set the world on fire.
Broke with Expensive Taste by Azealia Banks: interesting subgenre I wish was bigger by now.
Barter 6 by Young Thug: weirdly satisfying vocals, he is lightyears out of the box.
IYRTITL by Drake: rapping and singing finally truly merged to one on this “mixtape”, would almost call it avant-garde.
GKMC by Kendrick Lamar: oldheads say he brought real rap back and ruined him for me, but I don’t let them blur my vie... hearing, it’s just a very good rap album. He sounds sometimes more like a poet than a rapper, which is probably why a lot of people drool all over him.
Acid Rap by Chance the Rapper: feel good masterpiece that came outta nothing. Too bad he fell off steeply after it.
Rodeo by Travis Scott: catchy hooks and atmosphere creating, but damn is he good at it.
MAYA by MIA: if you can call that a hiphop album. Sounds a lot like Death Grips and Yeezus but it’s from 2010.
EDIT: hey we all totally forgot about Kid Cudi’s debut album, it’s certainly not the best artist of this decade, but he has the biggest dreams, and that’s worth something too.
Also Yeezus, Take Care and Jeffery.

Last edited by Boltzmann on 03/30/2018 22:34; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website