Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 04/27/2018 22:14
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
@Gowi that’s pretty interesting thinking. Who do you think should be the Big 4 od thrash?

I’m a bigger fan of some European developments of the 80s (Teutonic Thrash, Scandinavian Thrash) and the Bay Area Scene. Some of my favorite thrash metal bands are the likes of Annihilator, Onslaught, Overkill, Testament, Exodus, Artillery, Sodom, Kreator, and Metal Church.

No doubt the LA Thrash Scene was undeniably important, but outside of a few exceptions they feel like a situation of “more popular, not more interesting”.

But if I had to draw up a “Big Four” based on me remaking history? Uh. Testament, Exodus, Overkill, and Dark Angel.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 04/28/2018 01:14
  • Post subject:
I really have trouble ranking those four. Pretty much a four way dead heat for me with each one having highs and lows that average out overall.

• Metallica at their best are certainly the most iconic, but that makes all the lesser albums all the more disappointing.
• Megadeth is, as you say, the most consistent, but I have a limited tolerance for Mustaine's voice. That said, I'd probably at least rank Megadeth as the best live act of the batch.
• Anthrax is all over the place, and I actually like 'The Sound of White Noise' the best as I appreciate John Bush stepping in on vocals.
• I have the exact same response to Slayer as you do. I would add that in just thinking about what kind of music/attitude/vibe I like and listen to thrash for, Slayer should be at the top of the list, but for some reason, they don't always work for me.

While I enjoy all of the "big four," and can't argue with your choices as they are the Mount Rushmore of Thrash, my personal big four would include
1. Flotsam and Jetsam. Far and away my favorite thrash band. Everything comes together perfectly for me with this group. I love the lyrics, I love the vibe, no annoying vocals, just straightforward, in your face, heaviness. 'No Place for Disgrace' and 'When the Storm Comes Down' are their early classics, but my personal faves are the two that followed even as their popularity started to wane, 'Cuatro,' and 'Drift.'
2. Death Angel. They would be my fave if they had put out more albums. A long breakup and a disappointing comeback mar their catalog, but during their early prime they were unmatched in the variety of expression they brought while remaining solidly within the genre. 'Act III' is one of my all time favorite albums in any genre.
3. Metal Church. Rather inconsistent, but another group that at their peak rival the best any has to offer. Their indispensable album is the incredible 'Blessing in Disguise."
4. Testament. Another straightforward metallic bludgeoning of the highest order. Top discs are 'Practice What You Preach,' 'The Legacy,' and 'The Ritual.'

Honorable mention to Pantera.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 04/28/2018 06:11
  • Post subject:
I'll also buy that Megadeth is the most consistent. But at the same time, especially through the 90's, they can be so samey. Like Slayer but slower and more AC/DC influenced. Mustaine is still a great songwrier and the 90's offered a number of my favorite Megadeth records, but I can't deny the samey-ness. One of the reasons I've always preferred Metallica as a whole because they have a bit more varied songwriting even if it doesn't always pan out.
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 04/28/2018 13:30
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
I’m a bigger fan of some European developments of the 80s (Teutonic Thrash, Scandinavian Thrash) and the Bay Area Scene. Some of my favorite thrash metal bands are the likes of Annihilator, Onslaught, Overkill, Testament, Exodus, Artillery, Sodom, Kreator, and Metal Church.

No doubt the LA Thrash Scene was undeniably important, but outside of a few exceptions they feel like a situation of “more popular, not more interesting”.

But if I had to draw up a “Big Four” based on me remaking history? Uh. Testament, Exodus, Overkill, and Dark Angel.

Link

Great list, Overkill may just be the most consistent of all the thrash bands. I was never a fan of Exodus though, but may have to revisit. And Dark Angel is awesome

2020s
90s

Last edited by LedZep on 04/29/2018 17:04; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 04/28/2018 13:36
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
I'll also buy that Megadeth is the most consistent. But at the same time, especially through the 90's, they can be so samey. Like Slayer but slower and more AC/DC influenced. Mustaine is still a great songwrier and the 90's offered a number of my favorite Megadeth records, but I can't deny the samey-ness. One of the reasons I've always preferred Metallica as a whole because they have a bit more varied songwriting even if it doesn't always pan out.

I would definitely disagree, sorry Smile I think 90s Megadeth is more diverse than the whole Slayer discography, from Rust In Peace, probably the most technical thrash record ever to hard rock-ish Countdown in just 2 years. How about that? But yes Metallica had a fantastic streak up until and including the Black Album, one of my favourite album streaks in music altogether. But then they lost it. Not completely, some awesome songs along the way, both hard/alt rock and thrash, but albums were never very good.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 04/28/2018 18:06
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
I would definitely disagree, sorry Smile I think 90s Megadeth is more diverse than the whole Slayer discography, from Rust In Peace, probably the most technical thrash record ever to hard rock-ish Countdown in just 2 years. How about that? But yes Metallica had a fantastic streak up until and including the Black Album, one of my favourite album streaks in music altogether. But then they lost it. Not completely, some awesome songs along the way, both hard/alt rock and thrash, but albums were never very good.

Rust In Peace is certainly the exception. As much as I love Countdown and Youthanasia (early on, it was my favorite Megadeth album) those two records and the two following feature a lot of the same type of drum pattern and bass lines. Again, good writing on the guitar riff and chorus hook elements from Dave but when I first heard Cryptic Writings it was okay but very stagnant.
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 04/28/2018 18:20
  • Post subject:
I'm a little late to this thread, but I have to go with Metallica (generic answer, I know). I like all these bands, but the 1-2 punch of Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets takes the cake. Unfortunately, Metallica went downhill after that, while the other bands remained a little more consistent. Nevertheless, Metallica is my #1.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 04/28/2018 19:39
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Great list, Overkill may just be the most consistent of all the thrash bands, even if their work often dances between death and thrash. I was never a fan of Exodus though, but may have to revisit. And Dark Angel is awesome

Testament has a pretty solid argument for most consistent thrash metal discography as well, but that might just be my take.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 04/29/2018 11:16
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
I'm a little late to this thread, but I have to go with Metallica (generic answer, I know). I like all these bands, but the 1-2 punch of Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets takes the cake. Unfortunately, Metallica went downhill after that, while the other bands remained a little more consistent. Nevertheless, Metallica is my #1.

Well Justice might have something to say about that. Bad production (well bass at least) but songwriting wise their best I think. Just my opinion

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 04/29/2018 11:17
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
Rust In Peace is certainly the exception. As much as I love Countdown and Youthanasia (early on, it was my favorite Megadeth album) those two records and the two following feature a lot of the same type of drum pattern and bass lines. Again, good writing on the guitar riff and chorus hook elements from Dave but when I first heard Cryptic Writings it was okay but very stagnant.

Yeah Cryptic Writings isn't one of their best tho. Trust and She-Wolf are stone cold classics, the rest is ok but I can see where you're coming from, it is kind of formulaic now that I think of the tracklist.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website