Name 3 rankings on this site that make you angry

View previous topic :: View next topic
BLO

• Posted: 08/09/2018 04:29
  • Post subject: Name 3 rankings on this site that make you angry
1. Sunflower

It's in Rolling Stone's top 500, and one of my personal favorite albums. I love introducing people to this album who know only their surf rock hits and maybe a bit of Pet Sounds and absolutely blowing their minds. I think that the vocal arrangements on this album are easily the best part. Also, the fact that All I Wanna Do began a genre that wouldn't be popular for another 30 years or so is phenomenal. I really wish it were in the top 500 at least, but it isn't even in the top 1000 at the moment!

2. King of Limbs

Cool cover art and one or two good songs, but it is widely seen as the most mediocre Radiohead album, aside from maybe Pablo Honey, and it's STILL in the top 500! It doesn't even have a good rating.

3. Funeral

It's good, great even. Certainly belongs in the top 100. But above Pet Sounds? Above Led Zeppelin IV? Above The Velvet Underground and Nico? Lord no. It had a huge impact on Alternative rock, but aside from that it doesn't have half the influence that these other albums had. Heck, this album wouldn't even exist without Pet Sounds. The frontman's voice is kinda average and his wife over-sings a bit too much on that last track.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 08/09/2018 04:57
  • Post subject: Re: Name 3 rankings on this site that make you angry
BLO wrote:
King of Limbs

Cool cover art and one or two good songs, but it is widely seen as the most mediocre Radiohead album, aside from maybe Pablo Honey, and it's STILL in the top 500! It doesn't even have a good rating.

I totally agree. King of Limbs is an album I like to call 'overrated by association.'
  • Visit poster's website
indieshins

Australia

• Posted: 08/09/2018 07:57
  • Post subject: Re: Name 3 rankings on this site that make you angry
StreetSpirit wrote:
BLO wrote:
King of Limbs

I totally agree. King of Limbs is an album I like to call 'overrated by association.'

There would have been a time I would have considered it underrated. It IS better than some people give it credit for. But it's also RH's worst album apart from PH, so yeah, this is fair. Though, I'd say the problem isn't that it has too few good songs, its that the songs aren't at the same level as their previous and subsequent work - most of TKOL's songs are enjoyable to me, but can't compete with Reckoner, FPT, Paranoid Android etc.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 08/09/2018 09:45
  • Post subject:
If any musical ranking is making you 'angry' you need to start taking a step back.
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 08/09/2018 11:30
  • Post subject: Not really angry but disagree with or am surprised by
This album used to often be in top 100 or 500 lists when i started reading such things around 1987 it is barely a notch on these boards:
Dreamer by Bobby Bland

As per usual overrated A classic sure but not even top 5 in their cannon to me (I know I am in the minority with that opinion):

The Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd

Good record but not record of the year:
DAMN. by Kendrick Lamar
  • Visit poster's website