Any reason to stop listening to 1 of your fav artists?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 10/23/2018 13:21
  • Post subject: Any reason to stop listening to 1 of your fav artists?
Hi all,

Back in the day of college, i was posed a question, "is there anything one of my fav artists could do that would cause me not to listen to them anymore?" The only thing i could think of at the time is if an artist i liked killed an artist i liked more -- that would cause me to stop listening. But barring any truth to conspiracy theories claiming courtney love had kurt cobain whacked, this scenario has not played out.

However, i've found another scenario in which i would, and will, stop listening to (new) music by an artist. That artist is the newly-proclaimed "ye". Being a narcissistic psychopath who gives trump love hugs was kind of a turn off, but i persevered. But when kanye west, a black man with a world of fans watching, said he wanted to abolish the 13th amendment, that was either a mountain of ignorance or stupidity talking. Either way, i've had enough. "ye" will be the last kanye album i will listen to of his. I'm still undecided on ye-produced albums in the future.

So the question is -- is there any scenario in which you would stop listening to an artist YOU currently like? One of your fav artists, perhaps?
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 10/23/2018 14:32
  • Post subject: Re: Any reason to stop listening to 1 of your fav artists?
Yeah I thank God there's only 1 Kanye in this world, a terrible person, not just for political reasons (I'm not an American so don't care much for that), but for his egoism and ignorance. Plus I've never really liked his music much anyway, maybe only Graduation and College Dropout and a bit of Yeezus. I don't know, maybe he as a person behind the music is the turn off for me.

And to answer the question, I have one case of disliking musicians and their music, and that's GNR. I loved them when I was like 13, and as I was growing older and wiser I realised they're not godsend musicians like I thought and that there's a ton of bands that are doing similar things just better. Anyways, another major turn off was Axl being an absolute d*ck of a person, and I hated him singing for ACDC. And also that tour they were doing a year ago or so just to make some more money is pretty meh.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Geraldox

• Posted: 10/23/2018 14:41
  • Post subject:
I've never thought about this, but in retrospect, i'm kind of a hypocrite.
I can't listen to Vinnie Paz/Jedi Mind Tricks because he's homophobic, at the same time, i listen to people who say things that are as bad or worse.

In my defense, i think it is because most artists, even if they are homophobic or racist or whatever, it doesn't 'bleed' into their songs, which is exactly what happens with Vinnie Paz.
  • Visit poster's website
antiquusxy

• Posted: 10/23/2018 16:37
  • Post subject:
idk as long as their music is good i'll still listen to them even if they're a murderer or whatever , *unless* they're imposing their awful views (political or otherwise) in their music
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 10/23/2018 20:55
  • Post subject:
Well,

while I have liberal/progressive moments (especially on environmental issues) I do tend to be conservative overall.

So if an artists politics turned me off to the point of jettisoning their music, I'd be pretty much limited to listening to Ted Nugent and Debbie Boone. Clearly, that's not gonna' happen. I'll take great music no matter where it comes from.

Come to think of it, Nugent&Boone would make quite a duet! Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 10/23/2018 20:57
paladisiac wrote:
However, i've found another scenario in which i would, and will, stop listening to (new) music by an artist. That artist is the newly-proclaimed "ye". Being a narcissistic psychopath who gives trump love hugs was kind of a turn off, but i persevered. But when kanye west, a black man with a world of fans watching, said he wanted to abolish the 13th amendment, that was either a mountain of ignorance or stupidity talking. Either way, i've had enough. "ye" will be the last kanye album i will listen to of his. I'm still undecided on ye-produced albums in the future.

Kanye has done and said a lot of stupid, harmful stuff lately. People are right to be frustrated with him, and there are many valid reasons not to listen to his music because of his recent persona. However, I do feel his comments on the 13th amendment have been misinterpreted. That is mostly his fault, because his statements about it have been very garbled. But looking at the statement in broader context and reading the thoughts of some others brings me to this conclusion about it: When Kanye said he wanted to abolish the 13th amendment, he did not wish for slavery to become legal again. What he was incoherently expressing frustration about was the exception built into the 13th amendment that permits involuntary servitude as punishment for a crime. He was suggesting this exception should be done away with, not that we should return to slavery. Yes, his comments were ignorantly articulated, but I wouldn't stop listening to his music because of this. Again, I wouldn't argue with terminating fandom based on his other actions and statements. BILL COSBY INNOCENT strikes me as particularly egregious.
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 10/23/2018 21:48
  • Post subject:
Ghostface is my favourite rapper ever and I don't listen to anything he releases these days.

Not for any political or ethical reasons; he just fell off hard.
ShadowKingJabari

• Posted: 10/24/2018 01:34
  • Post subject:
Generally - no.

I find a clear distinction between an Artist and a person, and there's a huge distinction to me *cough* Kanye *cough* d'oh! I have always despised Charles Manson for everything encompassing him, yet his track 'Look at Your Game Girl' really got to me, from then on I've sort of dissociated an Artists true life from their music.

However, if an artist continuously advocated foolishness IN THEIR SONGS, that's the breaking point.

~ Jabari the Shadow King Mr. Green
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 10/24/2018 01:44
  • Post subject:
yeah its real easy to disassociate the art from the artist with kanye west. like when he says "I feel like me and Taylor might still have sex / Why? I made that bitch famous (Goddamn)", or "I know I'm the most influential / That TIME cover was just confirmation / This generation's closest thing to Einstein / So don't worry about me, I'm fine" or "I hate the new Kanye, the bad mood Kanye / The always rude Kanye, spaz in the news Kanye" like he could've been talking about any Kanye there. It's crazy that people would think Kanye the person is in any way entangled with his music, they're totally separate.
  • Visit poster's website
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 10/24/2018 21:26
baystateoftheart wrote:
Kanye has done and said a lot of stupid, harmful stuff lately. People are right to be frustrated with him, and there are many valid reasons not to listen to his music because of his recent persona. However, I do feel his comments on the 13th amendment have been misinterpreted. That is mostly his fault, because his statements about it have been very garbled. But looking at the statement in broader context and reading the thoughts of some others brings me to this conclusion about it: When Kanye said he wanted to abolish the 13th amendment, he did not wish for slavery to become legal again. What he was incoherently expressing frustration about was the exception built into the 13th amendment that permits involuntary servitude as punishment for a crime. He was suggesting this exception should be done away with, not that we should return to slavery. Yes, his comments were ignorantly articulated, but I wouldn't stop listening to his music because of this. Again, I wouldn't argue with terminating fandom based on his other actions and statements. BILL COSBY INNOCENT strikes me as particularly egregious.

But he also said on some radio show that he basically believes that whole slavery thing was made up. It just seems to me he has disassociated himself in his rich and famous life from the reality of what a typical black person would experience. But that's just this white boy's interpretation.
  • Visit poster's website