66%
 66%  [4]
Total Votes : 6

saltysurprise
Sippin' bitches' brew in the 36th Chamber

Canada

• Posted: 12/08/2019 16:59
  • Post subject: The Importance of Soulja Boy Tell 'Em
Someone had to say it. So many hits bruh. SO MANY HITS. Kiss Me thru the Phone. Crank That. Pretty Boy Swag. Turn My Swag On. Booty Got Swag. Swag On My Dick. I can go on.

There is a point here. His music is catchy as fuck. Few artists in modern hip hop have been able to craft hooks as catchy as Soulja and as consistently. For better or worse, by being the epitome of the materialistic brainless bling trapper he ended up boiling down the best elements of the genre making the excess bragged about by others seem inconsequential by comparison. He shaped the sound of hip hop in the 2010's by influencing legions of pop trappers alongside Waka Flocka, Gucci Mane, and Lil B the Based God.

Soulja Boy's music merits discussion and he deserves to be spoken of in the same breath as other great rappers of this generation like Tyler, Travis, and Wayne.

From a certain point of view, the artists he influenced may be seen as lazy trend followers. But from my perspective, he inspired kids to make and put out the music they wanted to make and hear outside of label influences. These are the soundcloud rappers of this generation. For some of Beezy's influence, look no further than recent solid albums like Die Lit by Carti, Zuu by Denzel, and I Am > I Was by 21 Savage.

Maybe nobody on this forum gives a shit. But Soulja is the man. Or is he? Naw he is.
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 12/08/2019 17:47
  • Post subject:
He's absolutely an important and influential artist, although I don't enjoy the vast majority of his music.
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 12/08/2019 19:55
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
He's absolutely an important and influential artist, although I don't enjoy the vast majority of his music.
Exactly. Similar to the often mentioned 808s & Heartbreaks, it's incredibly influential, but it's just not nearly as good as what's come after (to my ears at least)

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website