Created an app to generate spotify playlists from BEA charts

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
ross93

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/04/2020 21:49
  • Post subject: Created an app to generate spotify playlists from BEA charts
Created this out of personal interest and use so I can listen more music aggregated from this site but would be happy to share if there is interest (and allowed). So far I've tested with some decade charts, yearly charts and also my personal top rated tracks

Enter the RSS Feed URL then press 'Add to Spotify' this creates a playlist in your spotify with all the ordered album tracks. For instance with a decade chart:

Last edited by ross93 on 01/05/2020 11:59; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/04/2020 22:28
  • Post subject:
Very interested... images too small to see what you are trying to show on my end. But yes, this is a feature I wish this site had.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/05/2020 10:31
  • Post subject:
Not got a problem with tools provided they are non-commercial. Coincidentally, have been doing a lot of work in the background over the past few weeks adding a BEA presence on Spotify. Not all finished yet, but there are already a few decade playlists added and more playlists will appear over the next few weeks.
  • Visit poster's website
ross93

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/05/2020 12:18
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Very interested... images too small to see what you are trying to show on my end. But yes, this is a feature I wish this site had.

Fixed now, you can click the image view in bigger scale

albummaster wrote:
Not got a problem with tools provided they are non-commercial. Coincidentally, have been doing a lot of work in the background over the past few weeks adding a BEA presence on Spotify. Not all finished yet, but there are already a few decade playlists added and more playlists will appear over the next few weeks.

Doesn't seem to be a great deal of interest anyway and it would require a bit more testing to find any bugs and the limitations of spotify api. I think you could have seperate site spotify features such that the BEA spotify user could hold all decade year charts etc and an addition to rss feeds of charts have create spotify playlist for this chart buttons on this website, i.e. for users own charts.

FYI I also noticed in your current spotify playlist in decade charts for 2010 it has a song 'Runaway - Kanye West ft. Pusha T (karaoke)' which is a cover and not the original. I've seen instances of this too but now i try to filter these out of album searches along with things like live versions of albums and deluxe editions.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/05/2020 13:54
  • Post subject:
ross93 wrote:
I think you could have seperate site spotify features such that the BEA spotify user could hold all decade year charts etc and an addition to rss feeds of charts have create spotify playlist for this chart buttons on this website, i.e. for users own charts.

Further Spotify integration is on the radar (adding year charts over the next couple of weeks, then'll look at other areas where this might provide value).

ross93 wrote:
FYI I also noticed in your current spotify playlist in decade charts for 2010 it has a song 'Runaway - Kanye West ft. Pusha T (karaoke)' which is a cover and not the original. I've seen instances of this too but now i try to filter these out of album searches along with things like live versions of albums and deluxe editions.

Agree finding a match on Spotify using API is prone to error (only jumped in today because it seemed on-topic but it's still a work in progress - more likely to fix something if it's live rather than sitting in a development queue so gives me an incentive to finish it). I remember chatting to you on the forums a while back about Spotify, so it's great to see you've come up with something that works, so kudos for that (looks great too).
  • Visit poster's website
ross93

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/05/2020 14:02
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
Further Spotify integration is on the radar (adding year charts over the next couple of weeks, then'll look at other areas where this might provide value).

Agree finding a match on Spotify using API is prone to error (only jumped in today because it seemed on-topic but it's still a work in progress - more likely to fix something if it's live rather than sitting in a development queue so gives me an incentive to finish it). I remember chatting to you on the forums a while back about Spotify, so it's great to see you've come up with something that works, so kudos for that (looks great too).

I revisited it again to update my 2019 charts and decade but decided to reprogram it just to keep my c# programming fresh!
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/05/2020 14:14
  • Post subject:
ross93 wrote:
I revisited it again to update my 2019 charts and decade but decided to reprogram it just to keep my c# programming fresh!

That's the language I normally use Wink This is my first (and only!) PHP project....
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/05/2020 14:21
  • Post subject:
That's a cool feature, much appreciated! I was thinking of doing something similar, where you can make a playlist on Spotify and add selected albums from selected chart(s). It would help me a lot with listening and would be a cool feature. I'm not sure I've got enough knowledge and programming experience to do that, but it might be a cool summer project.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/05/2020 22:34
  • Post subject:
Not to bring up the devil (RYM), but I also do like their integration. Users link the album to the album entry for the site. That way if I don't do a playlist, I can at least find it easily (some albums/the right albums, etc. are harder to find than others).

Playlists though are fantastic. Thanks AlbumMaster for posting. Didn't know BEA had a presence on Spotify. Already followed a couple.

I thought about the API and it was one of those things where I was like that'd be cool (sits on rear end and does nothing... hehe).

Anyway, I painstakingly went through and created lists for all the decades, etc. before even Beatles/Led Zeppelin/Pink Floyd were on Spotify so thought that'd be super neat to have a way to click a button and get the latest from the database (things have drastically changed since like 2012 or whenever I created them originally). This would be an incredibly helpful feature.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 01/06/2020 11:34
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Not to bring up the devil (RYM), but I also do like their integration. Users link the album to the album entry for the site. That way if I don't do a playlist, I can at least find it easily (some albums/the right albums, etc. are harder to find than others).

Playlists though are fantastic. Thanks AlbumMaster for posting. Didn't know BEA had a presence on Spotify. Already followed a couple.

Only been there for a couple of weeks and still a work in progress (hadn't meant to announce it yet/like this). Spotify IDs might be the direction we take here, at least it'll mean playlists are guaranteed to be more accurate (can fall back on the API if an album hasn't been updated) (doing a lot of other things right now and time is spread very thinly so might not be done straight away).
  • Visit poster's website