How often do you agree with a "pretentious" tag?

View previous topic :: View next topic
Spyglass
Resident Metalhead

United States

• Posted: 04/19/2020 22:08
  • Post subject: How often do you agree with a "pretentious" tag?
I'm mostly talking about "art" genres. Out in the real word, I've brought up the genres when talking about Kate Bush and Radiohead and the names have been criticized. It's hard talking about music out here, especially with this COVID-19 problem keeping us socially distanced. If people criticize it as soon as you say it, it makes the conversation quickly end because it's clear the opposing view just doesn't want to talk about it.

The problem here is that these artists exist and that their music goes beyond the norm. You could lump Beatles and The Velvet Underground together because both albums are class-S rock canon and bevause they're both "artists," but to say they sound like each other isn't entirely true. Add the fact that everyonw has their own definition of the word "art," which can depend on style preferences, toleration of certain extremities, unconventionality vs. poptimism, etc., the discussion is endless.
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 04/20/2020 02:27
  • Post subject:
The only artist who jumps to my mind as pretentious is Father John Misty.
pctrooper

United States

• Posted: 04/20/2020 03:26
  • Post subject:
I think whenever an artist tries really hard to sound like another specific artist that would be a good definition of pretentious for me (pretending to be something you're not). I'm talking about not simply inspiration but forcing oneself to sound like something else to the point that it just feels like a parody or joke of the real thing (Think Greta Van Fleet, for example). That being said, under the definition I just gave I still like some pretentious music every now and then. Script for a Jester's Tear by Marillion sounds an awful lot like Genesis but I quite like it. (Compare "Forgotten Sons" to "The Knife")
  • Visit poster's website
theblueboy

• Posted: 04/20/2020 12:34
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
The only artist who jumps to my mind as pretentious is Father John Misty.

Thankyou Applause He's also a pretty great songwriter on occassion but I still agree with this. And yet BEA downvoted me so badly for calling Pure Comedy pretensious/ self-indulgent on the album page Sad
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 04/20/2020 13:35
  • Post subject:
I guess you could describe something as "pretentious", I'm fine with that. But what I hate is when people say "I don't like it, it's pretentious". That's probably the worst criticism you could give, it doesn't even mean anything. Is it boring, too experimental, the songwriting is not good enough? No, it's "pretentious"... Hate that. Just say "it's pretentious because it's too experimental and boring", to me that's a much better criticism and shows that you've actually listened to the music in question before dismissing it.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Trendall

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/20/2020 20:42
  • Post subject:
The word 'pretentious' can be entirely thrown in the bin, I'm not sure I've ever heard it as a valid criticism of anything.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 04/20/2020 20:46
  • Post subject:
theblueboy wrote:
Thankyou Applause He's also a pretty great songwriter on occassion but I still agree with this. And yet BEA downvoted me so badly for calling Pure Comedy pretensious/ self-indulgent on the album page Sad

Glad to hear I'm not alone. Most people go to album pages because they enjoy the albums, so almost any critical comment will get you downvoted.

I will agree with others that pretentious is an overused and empty criticism in general, absent elaboration. But boring is even worse, LedZep!
theblueboy

• Posted: 04/20/2020 21:10
  • Post subject:
Trendall wrote:
The word 'pretentious' can be entirely thrown in the bin, I'm not sure I've ever heard it as a valid criticism of anything.

I think the term can be applied to music that reaches for somewhere lofty, profound or grandiose but falls short of the mark.