New topic: live albums

View previous topic :: View next topic
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 05/12/2020 20:10
  • Post subject: New topic: live albums
Hi AM, I see that a new feature has been added: Live album and really thx for that: I already tagged a lot of my favorite albums as a live album.

Just some ideas in connection with this:
- since many people don't want to include live albums in their regular year lists and also because they are not necessarily linked to a year, why not add live albums as a genuine album list item "Top 100 Live albums" rather than give people the opportunity (of course they still could) to make their custom live charts.
- I suppose an album can't be a compilation album and a live album at the same time so why not make this a combobox thing: regular album, compilation or live album (and maybe in the future mini-album/ep)
- Can you also please add this flag in the download csv file feature
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/13/2020 09:54
  • Post subject: Re: New topic: live albums
dihansse wrote:
Hi AM, I see that a new feature has been added: Live album and really thx for that: I already tagged a lot of my favorite albums as a live album.

Just some ideas in connection with this:
- since many people don't want to include live albums in their regular year lists and also because they are not necessarily linked to a year, why not add live albums as a genuine album list item "Top 100 Live albums" rather than give people the opportunity (of course they still could) to make their custom live charts.
- I suppose an album can't be a compilation album and a live album at the same time so why not make this a combobox thing: regular album, compilation or live album (and maybe in the future mini-album/ep)
- Can you also please add this flag in the download csv file feature

Hi, thanks for your feedback. There are some albums that are compilations of previously released live performances, so having a separate attribute allows more flexibility. Yes, intending to add a few other attributes to help with filtering different types of release:

e.g. https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=16107 or https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=10814 or https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...hp?t=15983 or https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...php?t=7095

This particular change was picked up from the backlog and has been sitting in my inbox for a very long time. One of the main reasons is for improving the filtering of top tracks from different artists to provide a cleaner view, but also intending to also add an extra live and compilation filter to artist bestographies (& other parts of the site) in due course (once more data is populated).

There's nothing stopping people already creating custom charts containing live albums and people already have their own personal choice to include/exclude them from year/decade charts etc. Yes, definitely possible to add as an extra field to CSV downloads. Not sure if compilation is already listed as well, but probably add both when I get the chance (day job is super busy right now which is why I've not been too active on forums over the past couple of weeks).
  • Visit poster's website