2020 Films and Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/14/2020 19:04
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Palm Springs is every bit as a good as advertised. Puts a great spin on the whole time loop concept that made it, pun intended, infinitely more interesting to watch as the plot slowly unfolds. It's also pretty damn funny.

Looking forward to it. Should be able to give it a watch sometime soon. Seems right up my alley.

Gave Reichardt's First Cow a watch two nights ago, and it's probably my favourite by her. Everything's right where it should be. She one of those directors where they continually get better each film... my preference of her filmography could genuinely be sorted newest to earliest. Hoping everyone gives it a shot.

I also watched Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga a short while after it was released, and legitimately thought it was an okay comedy Laughing There's a good amount of jokes that land, and the entire parody is fantastic. Or perhaps my expectations are skewed because pickings are slim right now Anxious ....
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/20/2020 17:14
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
How many more times do you guys think Tenet will be pushed back

I'm going with 2, for a total of 4.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/tene...234699068/

Cool

I'm not sure if 'indefinitely' counts as one or two delays, but either way.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 07/22/2020 07:02
  • Post subject:
Quote:
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/tenet-delayed-again-christopher-nolan-1234699068/

Link
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 07/22/2020 21:25
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
I also watched Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga a short while after it was released, and legitimately thought it was an okay comedy Laughing There's a good amount of jokes that land, and the entire parody is fantastic. Or perhaps my expectations are skewed because pickings are slim right now Anxious ....

I thought it was dreadful to sit through. I didn't giggle or chuckle once. Confused
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 07/27/2020 14:34
  • Post subject:
The French Dispatch can no longer be discussed in this thread Crying or Very sad
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/21/2020 16:12
  • Post subject:
I'm not sure if I have it written down anywhere on this site— I'll look, I'm not sure— but I did have a slight inkling Tenet would be a dud for a handful of plot elements (based on the trailers), and there was a few reasons I wasn't too hyped for it compared to Nolan's other works.

First reviews aren't great. And nearly all of them for the reasons I feared.

I'll watch it no matter what, why not, but I can't say it's looking like it'll be Nolan's best.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 08/21/2020 19:27
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
I'm not sure if I have it written down anywhere on this site— I'll look, I'm not sure— but I did have a slight inkling Tenet would be a dud for a handful of plot elements (based on the trailers), and there was a few reasons I wasn't too hyped for it compared to Nolan's other works.

First reviews aren't great. And nearly all of them for the reasons I feared.

I'll watch it no matter what, why not, but I can't say it's looking like it'll be Nolan's best.
Truth be told, I think Nolan has been on a losing streak for nearly a decade, therefore I've had little to no hype about any of his films for a long time. Nevertheless I've dutifully watched them all in theaters (since '08 ), for they are visually spectacular. I'm with you on Tenet. I will still watch it theaters no matter what. Why not? It may the only major thing to see when theaters re-open. I'm sure it'll be a visual treat, just hoping it won't narratively disappoint.

In other 2020 film-related news, Bacurau recently came to streaming (CC) and VOD services. I'm certainly looking forward to that soon.
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 08/26/2020 23:37
  • Post subject:
Seen Tenet today. It’s outrageous. Incredible action scenes, really loud, the plot is a total clusterfuck, mostly fun and doesn’t make any sense. It’s also, in my humble opinion, the worst Nolan movie by a country mile. Cinematography is atrocious (for Nolan standards), incredibly fast paced, disjointed and the editing is scandalous. It’s the first Nolan movie which truly feels just like a blockbuster. Above average one, but still. Two leads, Washington and Pattison were great, but the characterization is weak, almost non-existent because it’s all action. Brannagh’s villain was ok-ish and sexist, Debicki’s character seemed like she was added in the third week of filming, and I didn’t care for any of the characters. Dialogue was corny af at times. At one point Pattison’s character is explaining the rules of backwards-time-travel-thingy, and it felt like he was literally explaining it to the audience. Bottom of the barrel.

Nolan is no Bergman, but he’s been making some of the most interesting mainstream movies of the last 15 years, and it’s sad seeing him fall this hard. Felt like he made half of the movie, and then some random guy shot the rest and edited it together poorly. It’s worth seeing for several incredible but very brief shots, great action scenes, sets and sound, as well as ridiculous plot which will be memed to death. That’s about it.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 08/27/2020 00:31
  • Post subject:
Oh right. With all the bullcrap happening in the states recently, totally forgot Tenet opened today in dozens of countries. Appreciate the feedback LedZep. To be fair, overexplanation has been Nolan's weakness for awhile. Remember how much time Inception spent explaining itself to the audience? Interstellar and Dunkirk somewhat did the same thing, so I was expecting it from Tenet anyway. But oof, bad narrative, characterization, and editing too? I still plan to see it in theaters cause I'm starving just to go again...I'll take a bad movie.

I saw Palm Springs a few nights ago. That was one hell of a movie. Thoughtful, equal parts and depressing and hilarious, mysterious, excellent storytelling techniques to keep its concept refreshing while staying unique among other films with the same concept.
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 08/27/2020 00:51
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:

I saw Palm Springs a few nights ago. That was one hell of a movie. Thoughtful, equal parts and depressing and hilarious, mysterious, excellent storytelling techniques to keep its concept refreshing while staying unique among other films with the same concept.

Yeah, that's one of my favourites of the year so far. Lovely comedy. Prooobably my... well... "film of the summer"(?) I suppose.

Thanks for the reaction to Tenet Ledzep. Little deflated about it myself... like, I'll watch it still, but yeah. Not super hyped. From what I'm reading, it sounds like the film almost comes across as someone trying to be Nolan. Debicki’s so tall.

I have a few new 2020 watches under my belt too. I'll comment on them in a bit.
  • Visit poster's website