MLB 2020

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
NewsFromHome

• Posted: 10/25/2020 23:47
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
And I lived in LA for a long time and experienced their home city fanbase firsthand. So my dislike is rooted deep.

This is kind of like me with the Lakers. Don't really care about baseball but someone got shot right outside my apartment last night after a fight broke out when the dodgers lost so...
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 10/26/2020 01:04
  • Post subject:
I've rooted against the Dodgers in each of the past three World Series they've been in, but even though I'm pulling for the Rays this year I'm going to feel a bit bad for LA if they lose. The team has such a ridiculous amount of talent and is very clearly better than the Rays, and though they're in a big market so much of their talent is homegrown - Bellinger, Kershaw, Seager, Buehler - or scrap heap pick-ups like Muncy and Turner. Sure they've been able to keep their guys because their pockets are deep but Betts trade aside they haven't just bought this team. If they don't win a title with this team they could go down as one of the best teams to never win.

Being from Wisconsin I rarely interact with Dodgers fan so I don't have much against them, but I am still sore they knocked the Brewers out in 2018 (though the NLCS that year was just a contest to see who would get creamed by the Red Sox). And speaking of the Brewers (or at least former Brewers prospects) it was awesome to see Brett Phillips come up as the hero last night in what was possibly the most insane baseball moment I've ever witnessed. I think the only other time I freaked out so much at a play was Galarraga's perfect game.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 10/26/2020 02:56
  • Post subject:
That's the most respect I've heard from a non-dodger fan my entire life, babyBlueSedan.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 10/26/2020 02:59
  • Post subject:
NewsFromHome wrote:
Romanelli wrote:
And I lived in LA for a long time and experienced their home city fanbase firsthand. So my dislike is rooted deep.

This is kind of like me with the Lakers. Don't really care about baseball but someone got shot right outside my apartment last night after a fight broke out when the dodgers lost so...

I think this is as much about LA as it is either team really, but yeah Jansen has death threats, even his wife has death threats on their instagram over last night.

And Romanelli - I'm curious which part of the fanbase you hate the most, the earlier leavers, the sometimes rowdy bunch, the beach ballers, or the hollywoods?
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 10/26/2020 18:09
  • Post subject:
I'm a Nats fan and happened to be in SoCal during the 2019 World Series when the Nats beat the Astros. Despite the Nats knocking out the Dodgers in an intense series, every Dodgers fan I interacted with was super cordial and seemed to genuinely enjoy baseball despite their team suffering another heartbreaking loss. (Also it didn't hurt that everyone outside of Houston was united against the Astros).

Usually I root for the underdog, but since I was able to watch the Nats win in 2019 alongside Dodgers fans rooting with me, I gotta root for the Dodgers this year. Also I usually root against a team whose city won a championship earlier the same year. But LA took the NBA championship and Tampa took the Stanley Cup so... I guess one of them is getting a 2nd trophy.
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 10/26/2020 21:20
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
That's the most respect I've heard from a non-dodger fan my entire life, babyBlueSedan.

I will say that the constant media attention that LA and the Yankees / Red Sox get is incredibly irritating, but I've largely stopped following the major media outlets for baseball and it's not like the players have any control over that anyway. Or over their fans. As much as I want the Rays to get a championship it's hard not to appreciate just how deep of a team the Dodgers have built. Or maybe I'm just trying to come up with away to console myself about the fact that the Dodgers are very likely to win the series.
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 10/27/2020 00:44
  • Post subject:
Maybe I watch different media or maybe it's just popular to hate the big teams, but I feel like most media slants the dodgers in less favorable light... and if they have to say something positive it seems like it's through tight lips instead of excitement, partially because of what Romanelli alluded to (Dodger fans do have kind of a you guys are weak sauce thing going for them which isn't completely unfounded). And another part of it is I feel like teams outside of the original east coast religion, it's like yeah I guess you guys can play too, but you aren't real baseball.

Anyway, probably wrong like usual, but that's been my vibe.

Aside from what EyeKanFly said, which is 90% of Dodger fans are pretty normal/level headed fans and like anything in life, prejudices get you in trouble.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 10/28/2020 05:39
  • Post subject:
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 10/29/2020 01:59
  • Post subject:
CA Dreamin wrote:

Hell yes!

And I don't have to post the

Lost
Again.jpg
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 10/29/2020 02:21
  • Post subject:
This year's dodgers were position by position, "pound-for-pound" (whatever the f that means) either THE most talented and brilliant teams I've ever seen or def one of them. The fact this year was so strange and that this team couldn't flex their muscle for 162 is a bit of a bummer. But yeah the dodgers (a team that, as a Cardinals fan, I quasi-hate) were incredible this year and Kersh is a player I will be telling the next generations of baseball fans about much like my dad told me about Seaver and Gibson, so the fact he got that monkey off his back made me VERY VERY happy as a baseball fan.

Now that Kershaw has his championship I don't have to have anything holding back my intense cheering against the dodgers. Now that Kersh and Mookie got LA a championship I can go back to no-holds-barred rooting against those dodger bums henceforth. So that is also good.

The rays with that salary getting to the world series to go against the mack daddy of salaries is a super amazing story too.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website