Album of the day (#3527): Dog Man Star by Suede

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/14/2020 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#3527): Dog Man Star by Suede
Today's album of the day

Dog Man Star by Suede (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1994.
Overall rank: 449
Average rating: 78/100 (from 443 votes).

Tracks:
1. Introducing The Band
2. We Are The Pigs
3. Heroine
4. The Wild Ones
5. Daddy's Speeding
6. The Power
7. New Generation
8. This Hollywood Life
9. The 2 Of Us
10. Black Or Blue
11. The Asphalt World
12. Still Life

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 08/15/2020 04:57
  • Post subject:
My opinion means zilch, but this always came across as 90s Britpop's The Wall. That's not a compliment.
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 08/15/2020 11:39
  • Post subject:
One of my best friends is a massive Suede fan (though his favourite is their debut). We're pretty much the same age, grew up in the same city, enjoyed the same music, the same books, the same films and television shows, we both love football (and hate rugby), are both members of the Labour party who take pride in our pragmatism, and have lots of shared experiences of pubs and nights out. We often note just how similar our pool of cultural references is, and - despite me supporting West Brom and he Aston Villa - there are very few things that we ever disagree about, and we are notorious for the level of in-jokery that takes place whenever we're together. We are two peas in a pod. However, I hate Suede, because they are pompous Bowie wannabes without the tunes to back up their confidence (although Brett Anderson's memoir about his early life, Coal Black Mornings, is actually one of the most humble musical autobiographies I've ever read), and more specifically I just hate their guitar sound, and I never pass up an opportunity to remind my friend of this, as it's one of the very few things we actually disagree on.

I don't like this album, obviously.
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 08/15/2020 12:35
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
and more specifically I just hate their guitar sound
You what? I've always thought that this is one of the best guitar sounds of the 90s, and by far the best sounding Britpop album, apart from Suede's debut (not just the guitar, but the whole package).

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 08/15/2020 12:48
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Skinny wrote:
and more specifically I just hate their guitar sound
You what? I've always thought that this is one of the best guitar sounds of the 90s, and by far the best sounding Britpop album, apart from Suede's debut (not just the guitar, but the whole package).

I dunno, just always had this weird, synthetic crunchiness to it that turned me off. Difficult to put my finger on without resorting to unsuitable abstract nouns (like 'crunchiness'). That said, there's a good chance that we both just like very different things in guitar bands, given that you are named after Led Zep and I find them intolerable. At least Suede's guitar sound is distinctive - I just don't like it.
Daydreamer

• Posted: 08/15/2020 17:47
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
One of my best friends is a massive Suede fan (though his favourite is their debut). We're pretty much the same age, grew up in the same city, enjoyed the same music, the same books, the same films and television shows, we both love football (and hate rugby), are both members of the Labour party who take pride in our pragmatism, and have lots of shared experiences of pubs and nights out. We often note just how similar our pool of cultural references is, and - despite me supporting West Brom and he Aston Villa - there are very few things that we ever disagree about, and we are notorious for the level of in-jokery that takes place whenever we're together. We are two peas in a pod. However, I hate Suede, because they are pompous Bowie wannabes without the tunes to back up their confidence (although Brett Anderson's memoir about his early life, Coal Black Mornings, is actually one of the most humble musical autobiographies I've ever read), and more specifically I just hate their guitar sound, and I never pass up an opportunity to remind my friend of this, as it's one of the very few things we actually disagree on.

I don't like this album, obviously.

This is a great write-up. Having listened to their debut a couple of times and not being very impressed by it (but it was by no means bad) this was my first listen of this particular album.
And I've really enjoyed it. It has some kind of dark glam atmosphere I really liked and some of songs had quite memorable melodies. The guitar sound is defintely very distinctive, I wouldn't call it crunchy, but has a somewhat piercing, yet very processed quality which might be off putting for you. I don't mind it.
What I slightly dislike is the lead singers voice and delivery, while I usually love theatrical performers among singers, but something about his timbre and phrasing I didn't like. It's almost like his voice has a metallic quaity, and it reminds me of Geoff Tate from Queensryche sometimes.

2000's
1990's
1980's
1970's
1960's
  • Visit poster's website
SleepDealer

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/15/2020 18:18
  • Post subject:
Funny this came up. Finally decided to add all my early Suede albums to my bag of CDs to take to the charity shop. The only one that really made me pause to think was their B-sides album from this era... Their guitar sound plus Brett Anderson's voice just ended up grating too - can't think of a scenario when I would put this kind of music on anymore. My tastes have changed much since the mid-90s, but somehow can't see myself coming back to this.
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 08/15/2020 18:25
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
I dunno, just always had this weird, synthetic crunchiness to it that turned me off. Difficult to put my finger on without resorting to unsuitable abstract nouns (like 'crunchiness'). That said, there's a good chance that we both just like very different things in guitar bands, given that you are named after Led Zep and I find them intolerable. At least Suede's guitar sound is distinctive - I just don't like it.

I get what you're saying, it's a bit overblown sound with a lot of flanger (sometimes chorus maybe?), reverb and delay. But it's exactly what I like about it, it's unique and sounds huge, even if it's synthetic and "glam". A lot of it is in Butler's fingers and playing style too. And I don't think you should hold my username against me, I named myself a long time ago when I was a teenager who barely knew anything about music Laughing

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website