Random Music Things

View previous topic :: View next topic
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 09/04/2020 05:18
  • Post subject: Random Music Things
I've got a brain like a dumpster.

Everything from the world goes in, and it just kind of stays there, festers, possbily recycled, occasionally incinerated, maybe oftentimes retained for several thousands of years.

It'll probably be something that's on my mind at the time.

Anyways, a common affectation you've heard me repeat ad nauseum, here's something that I imagine will interest you.

Did you know? That Ethiopia was one of the first places that Christianity latched onto? One of the pilgrimage sites there would be the underground churches that speckle the Northern part of the country in Lalibela.

BTW, this is still music related, so listen to the Caribou track "Lalibela" now.

Link

Last edited by Tha1ChiefRocka on 10/21/2020 03:48; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 09/04/2020 12:33
  • Post subject:
Love to hear fun info like that. Good thread idea chief!

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 09/06/2020 04:01
  • Post subject:
OH shit, turns out sober me forgets things that non-sober me does some times.

Here's something new.

The band Kansas' first album depicts John Brown on the cover.

Kansas by Kansas

This is actually the same mural that is in the capital building in Topeka, KS, painted by the regionalist and native-Kansan, John Steuart Curry.

The mural was rejected at first, as Curry had depicted him as a "fanatic" (which is absolutely accurate) but was eventually put up after Curry's death.

There are actually two other figures in the painting that you would never see unless you are in the room.

A plainsman, who has just killed a bison, a conquistador (Coronado), and a Franciscan missionary.

• Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 09/08/2020 01:24
  • Post subject:
Today while I was out doing some thrifting. I found a pretty good copy of Lemmings for an Amiga.

A good find considering I paid $3 for it, and it has the box, game, and manual, so I could get somewhere around $50 for it.

It came out on Valentine's Day 1991.

The number one hit on the the Billboard Hot 100 was "I'm Gonna Make You Sweat" by C+C Music Factory.

Here's the ultimix remix.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 09/09/2020 03:21
  • Post subject:
Seeing musicians in TV and film is always fun.

Iggy Pop is one of my favorites of, well, anything. Ever.

Here he is in one of the best shows ever, Pete & Pete.

Link

Which consequently has one of the greatest soundtracks of a TV show ever by Polaris.

Music From The Adventures Of Pete &...by Polaris

The frontman for Polaris was perviously in a band called Miracle Legion, another great alternative group from the 80s.

They still sound great.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka

United States

• Posted: 09/15/2020 02:53
  • Post subject:
Ok, I'll admit, I'm not great at this, but here's something else for you.

I've recently been reading up on Atlantis. Who knows if Plato was actually being truthful when describing the utopian lost city, butit's an incredible story all of the same.

Many great and wonderful deeds are recorded of your state in our histories. But one of them exceeds all the rest in greatness and valour. For these histories tell of a mighty power which unprovoked made an expedition against the whole of Europe and Asia, and to which your city put an end. This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean, for in those days the Atlantic was navigable; and there was an island situated in front of the straits which are by you called the Pillars of Heracles; the island was larger than Libya and Asia put together, and was the way to other islands, and from these you might pass to the whole of the opposite continent which surrounded the true ocean; for this sea which is within the Straits of Heracles is only a harbour, having a narrow entrance, but that other is a real sea, and the surrounding land may be most truly called a boundless continent. Now in this island of Atlantis there was a great and wonderful empire which had rule over the whole island and several others, and over parts of the continent, and, furthermore, the men of Atlantis had subjected the parts of Libya within the columns of Heracles as far as Egypt, and of Europe as far as Tyrrhenia. This vast power, gathered into one, endeavoured to subdue at a blow our country and yours and the whole of the region within the straits; and then, Solon, your country shone forth, in the excellence of her virtue and strength, among all mankind. She was pre-eminent in courage and military skill, and was the leader of the Hellenes. And when the rest fell off from her, being compelled to stand alone, after having undergone the very extremity of danger, she defeated and triumphed over the invaders, and preserved from slavery those who were not yet subjugated, and generously liberated all the rest of us who dwell within the pillars. But afterwards there occurred violent earthquakes and floods; and in a single day and night of misfortune all your warlike men in a body sank into the earth, and the island of Atlantis in like manner disappeared in the depths of the sea. For which reason the sea in those parts is impassable and impenetrable, because there is a shoal of mud in the way; and this was caused by the subsidence of the island.

So, anyway, here are some songs about Atlantis.

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website