Best Year in Hip-Hop Tournament (format and rules)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Is everbody looking forward to the tournament?
Yes
46%
 46%  [6]
Yes
53%
 53%  [7]
Total Votes : 13

PossiblyMichigan

• Posted: 12/09/2020 16:38
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
I'll leave it up to users to decide, but nominating a single years removed from its album is a cop-out in my opinion, and I'd be tempted to vote against anybody who did so on principal.

When we did the best year tournament we had a good rule which was users could only nominate a single if it was within a calander year removed from the album (I believe some user proposed nominating a Nick Drake single 20 years removed from its album). Wouldn't be opposed to instating that rule.
  • Visit poster's website
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 12/09/2020 16:50
  • Post subject:
Never forget the last time we did a tourny like this

• Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 12/09/2020 16:54
  • Post subject:
Necharsian wrote:
Never forget the last time we did a tourny like this

An all-time classic. Still, I was robbed.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/10/2020 03:14
  • Post subject:
Did I miss a timeline on nominations or whatevs?
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 12/10/2020 06:01
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
Did I miss a timeline on nominations or whatevs?

I'll probably set up a thread in a few days, give people some time to do some digging and deciding.
kokkinos

• Posted: 12/10/2020 14:01
  • Post subject:
Hey guys, cool idea, I'd be glad to take part if there are still open spots. Otherwise it's fine, no worries, I' ll be following anyway. One thing I'd like to ask about the nomination process: Do we begin with picking a year and the exact albums/singles get picked further down the road, or do the picks take place right off the bat?
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 12/10/2020 16:01
  • Post subject:
kokkinos wrote:
Hey guys, cool idea, I'd be glad to take part if there are still open spots. Otherwise it's fine, no worries, I' ll be following anyway. One thing I'd like to ask about the nomination process: Do we begin with picking a year and the exact albums/singles get picked further down the road, or do the picks take place right off the bat?

Yeah, just pick the year to begin with, and send me the albums/singles later. I'll message participants in due course.
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 12/11/2020 12:06
  • Post subject:
Just saw this also so probably good to have the rules stickied aswell.

• Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 12/11/2020 16:48
  • Post subject:
The 2015-2019 tourney could be unstickied now too

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 12/12/2020 10:36
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
A few questions.

Can we nominate EPs as an "album"? And hypothetically, if I nominate an EP that has most of the songs that were later released on an actual album, would people vote against that out of principle?

Are only official singles (those listed on RYM) eligible, or can we nominate any song from an album released in our year?

What about that rule "only singles released 1 year before/after the album"? Is that an official rule or just an idea? 'Cause it turns out Bonita Applebum / I Left My Wallet in El Segundo and Check the Rhime / Award Tour were released as singles in 1997 and I'm tempted to use them, even though it feels weird and people would probably give me hard time for that.

Skinny, when we choose 10 + 10 do we PM those to you? Edit: it's in the original post

Skinny wrote:
Remember, you are only nominating a year; you still have plenty of time to explore your choice, and I will message you for your album and single nominations later.

Yes, you can nominate an EP in lieu of an album. If said EP contains tracks that are later released on an album from a different year, two different users would be able to theoretically select two very similar releases, I guess. Do you have an example of this to put it into context for me?

Only tracks that are released as singles can be selected, but there is some wiggle room here. For example, if it has a music video, it's a single for the purposes of this tournament, regardless of whether or not it had an official single release. However, you cannot just choose an album track as a single. If you have any concerns about particular songs, PM me and I'll let you know whether it's eligible.

In order to be eligible, a single must not be released any later than the year following the release of its parent album. For example, the user with 1997 can nominate a single from an album released in 1996 (provided it was released as a single in 1997, obviously), but they cannot nominate a single from an album released in 1995 or earlier (regardless of whether it was released as a single in 1997 or not). Any concerns about this, just let me know. For example, remixes which alter the original in some way and that were released as standalone singles should be fine, but again I can moderate this on a case by case basis.

In answer to a previous query, users cannot nominate an album and also a single from that album for their team. For example (using my choice), I cannot pick both 'Still D.R.E.' (the single) and 2001 (the album) by Dr. Dre, even in separate matches. I have to decide whether I want to use the single or the album.

I really hope all of that makes sense, but again please feel free to PM me with any specific queries about the eligibility of a release.

OK, as promised earlier in the week, here's an update on the format:

Years will be split into four groups, each containing four years. (I will split the groups so as to allow for the greatest variety of eras in each group.) Each year will face each other year in their group once, meaning that each year will play a total of three matches in the group phase. For each matchup, the user has to choose two albums and two singles to represent their year. You cannot re-use these albums in multiple group stage matches. Therefore, for the group stage, each user will have to nominate six unique albums and six unique singles to represent their chosen year. (Users should send their nominations to me, unless you are in the same group as me, in which case they will need to be sent to the tournament co-host [TBC; volunteers welcome].)

The top two teams in each group will proceed to the quarter finals. Any two teams with the same amount of points will be separated based on their head-to-head record. (For example, if 1996 and 2014 finished joint second in their group, the year which won the 1996 vs. 2014 matchup would progress.) If the match resulted in a tie/draw, there will be a one album/one single tie-breaker matchup, using one album and one single from your six group stage picks. The team who finish top of their group table will face a team who finish second in another group in the quarter-final phase.

For the quarter-finals, users will nominate four albums and four singles for a matchup against another year. Two albums and two singles can be recycled from a user's group stage picks, whilst two albums and two singles must be previously unused and therefore new to the tournament. The winners of their quarter-final matchup will then proceed to the semi-final.

In the semi-final, users will nominate five albums and five singles. None of these picks are allowed to be recycled from the quarter-final picks. Three albums and three singles are to be recycled from a year's remaining (four) group stage picks, whilst two albums and two singles must be previously unused and therefore new to the tournament. The winners of their semi-final matchup will then proceed to the final, whilst the losers will proceed to a third-place playoff.

In both the final and the third-place playoff, users will nominate twelve albums and twelve singles. Ten albums and ten singles will be the nominations used throughout the tournament at various stages, whilst two albums and two singles must be previously unused and therefore new to the tournament.

I hope this all makes sense to everybody. Please feel free to voice any concerns or ideas, and I will endeavour to provide clarification on anything that doesn't make sense.

Also, let me know if you fancy co-hosting and actually have the time and motivation to do so.

Hope everybody is looking forward to the tourney! Get exploring your chosen years, people!

Peace.