82%  [14]
17%
 17%  [3]
Total Votes : 17

Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif
  • Posted: 12/28/2020 14:12
  • Post subject: BYHH GW1: Group B - 1997 vs. 2015
Please listen to all of the selections before voting.

1997 (captain: LedZep)

Albums:

Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Night

O.C. - Jewelz

Singles:

Link

Three 6 Mafia - Tear Da Club Up '97

Link

Mobb Deep - G.O.D. Pt. III

vs.

2015 (captain: Purplepash)

Albums:

Death Grips - Jenny Death

Seth Sentry - Strange New Past

Singles:

Link

Skepta - Shutdown

Link

Denzel Curry - Ultimate

Please use the thread to discuss the selections and inform everybody of your voting intentions. A poll will be added at a later date in order to tally votes, once everybody has had the opportunity to listen to all of the selections. If there are specific links to the albums or singles you have nominated (on Youtube, Spotify, etc.) that you would prefer voters to listen to, please post them in this thread.

Last edited by Skinny on 01/18/2021 15:26; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)
  • Posted: 12/28/2020 21:58
  • Post subject:
Just as a side note, both GOD III and Tear The Club Up 97’ sound better in audio editions if you’re listening on YT. And G.O.D. single version omits the ~1 minute skit at the beginning which is present on album version. But it’s a cool skit, worth a listen.

Those are some excellent picks Pash, it’s a good match!

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif
  • Posted: 12/29/2020 03:48
  • Post subject:
With all due respect, I honestly just don't get the point of Death Grips. If I want noisy punk, there are better options; if I want obnoxious industrial rave-hop, I've taken a wrong turn somewhere. I relistened to this album upon its nomination here and it is just nothing. The worst album in the tournament.

Apologies, Purplepash. 'Shutdown' is an excellent, gleaming song.
Purplepash
ranker, rater, & music list maker

Australia
  • Posted: 12/29/2020 08:27
  • Post subject:
I appreciate the sentiment Skinny but no need to apologise. I anticipate some criticism of my choices, which is fine. I will only get offended in the unlikely event anyone criticizes me personally for my music tastes.
I can't remember how or why I first heard the song On GP but it blew me away. Until then I had no idea there was hip hop that sounded like this. Made me check out this album, then more of the band, and more noisy experimental hip hop in general. So credit to Jenny Death for that.

And thanks Zep. I look forward to listening to your (and everyones) selections.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States
  • Posted: 12/29/2020 20:04
  • Post subject:
PurplePash, or really the rest of the world, what is it you love about Death Grips? I've yet to get into them. Sometimes I feel like it's greatest quality is it's different, not that it intrinsically has merit. But maybe that prejudice is in the way - help me see?
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada
  • Posted: 12/29/2020 21:23
  • Post subject:
Uptown Saturday Night wins it for '97.

(Posssssibly my least favourite match-up this round).
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)
  • Posted: 12/29/2020 21:42
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
PurplePash, or really the rest of the world, what is it you love about Death Grips? I've yet to get into them. Sometimes I feel like it's greatest quality is it's different, not that it intrinsically has merit. But maybe that prejudice is in the way - help me see?

What I like about Jenny Death is the same thing that I like about a lot of harsh music, be it industrial, noisy experimental, extreme metal, hardcore punk or no wave. It goes hard, the sounds they create are surreal, it’s a sensation to all my musical senses if you will. And specifically with Grips, I love MC Ride’s lyricism and crazy, shouted, almost flowless delivery, as well as actually pretty catchy songs. Along with musicians like clipping, Moor Mother, JPEGMAFIA and some others, they’re pushing the boundaries of 2010s hip hop. You may or may not like the way they’re doing it, that’s a different story.

As a side note, I’ve long lived in denial, thinking that everyone who’s into music “seriously” likes Death Grips. Mainly because irl all of the people I know like Death Grips. But it turns out a lot of forum regulars (among other people, and I’m not gonna namedrop anyone Laughing ) hate them. One of the problems I’ve seen mentioned (not on BEA) seems to be that 95% of Death Grips and JPEGMAFIA fanbases are white, middle class guys which... I mean I see the problem, but it’s a ridiculous critique. Not gonna get dragged into that discussion though.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States
  • Posted: 12/29/2020 22:01
  • Post subject:
Interestingly enough I thought clipping was much better.

Yeah I feel like I'm on a bad trip/sick if I listen to Death Grips. It definitely captures the senses, just like puking does, hehe. Sorry I really am trying to understand, even if that comment doesn't sound like it.

If I understand you right, you are saying that it's like a really good palate cleanser - wakes the senses and grabs your attention in a way few others do.

Grating music is interesting... sometimes it's welcoming and other times it is exactly what it is... grating. Curious. Like sometimes I love the sound of grinding metal - it is indeed musical.

Somehow there's a fight club joke here.

Oh also, sometimes music is better enjoyed "subconsciously" - is that the case more with the DG?
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States
  • Posted: 12/31/2020 05:40
  • Post subject:
You know what I do immediately appreciate about DG is how emotionally raw and energetic they are. They are the sound of my anxiety, haha. Adrenal glands are already shot.

Also is it normal to not have the whole album represented - or makes sense because they were released separately? Not trying to be difficult, rather understand the difference. (In the end I don't care either way). I think Red Hot Chili Peppers and Smashing Pumpkins do similar things to their double albums (titles to disc 1 and disc 2).... nm I get it now after reading (yeah, that's why I learned to read and get an education... Gowi is right... I can be so dumb... haha) - apparently they were released/leaked as separate albums and then later as a double album.
  • Visit poster's website
KitchenSink
  • Posted: 12/31/2020 11:20
  • Post subject:
no shade meant to our 2015 organizer friend but '97 sweeps this easily for me. tbh the only thing I really care for on the '15 team is Skepta, while 1997 is just bangers front to back. seems to capture that vibe of "equally applicable to dancefloor or headphones" rap, and does so flawlessly. easy vote to '97