planetneutral's Master Rating Log 2021-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
planetneutral

• Posted: 12/31/2020 04:46
  • Post subject:
Streams wrote:
Is this the thread for masochistic exhibitionism?

(I support you, but it doesn't seem like you're enjoying this)

Very Happy You should have seen my friend! He was giving similarly meh reactions, but the albums were on the order of Abbey Road and Ziggy Stardust.

I knew today's countdown lineup would be a slog for me, which is why starting a pretty new diary felt like a compelling motivational boost.

I'm still finding gems and I know there are albums I want to consider forthcoming in the countdown, so I'm still into it. But it's remarkable how much the consistency level has dropped off since about the 200 mark. I just think that the groups they are trying to better represent in this edition have had less opportunity to generate a deep/wide canon, so the quality falls off more quickly downchart.
  • Visit poster's website
planetneutral

• Posted: 12/31/2020 05:46
  • Post subject:

Lady In Satin by Billie Holiday

planetneutral Master Rating Log ID#: 00642

Album metadata
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums 2020 ranking: #317 of 500

Rating metadata
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums 2020 rating order: #344 of 500 (68.8% of all items rated)
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums 2003/2012/2020 Combined List rating order: #366 of 686 (53.4% of all items rated)
1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die All-Editions-Combined List rating order: 530 of 1,076 (49.3% of all items rated)
1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die rating order: n/a of 1,000 (17.9% of all items rated)

Rating: 60

Posted comment: I'm a fan, but this is Ms. Holiday late in her career, drowning in melancholy.

Notes:
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 12/31/2020 19:15
  • Post subject:
This is great - keep it up. My favorite part is the rating log ID and your experience working in a library. Well that and how you like what you like. I too feel like that Billie Holiday album is overrated. She deserves the praise and really should have a compilation like Lady Day on the list, and like in the top 10, imo. I think curators of lists like this like to use that one because it's an album released in the album era, and so it's nice and clean. Sure you'll get the enthusiast who will try and convince you it's her best because it's this icon who is struggling with her alcoholism and the age of voice.... yadayadayada, but really, no, musically it's pretty poor.
  • Visit poster's website
planetneutral

• Posted: 12/31/2020 19:27
  • Post subject:
RoundTheBend wrote:
This is great - keep it up. My favorite part is the rating log ID and your experience working in a library.

Thank you for the encouragement. I'm sure you can already detect that librarianship is a pretty good fit for my love of cataloging and metadata.
  • Visit poster's website
planetneutral

• Posted: 12/31/2020 19:27
  • Post subject:

The Velvet Rope by Janet Jackson

planetneutral Master Rating Log ID#: 00643

Album metadata
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums 2020 ranking: #318 of 500

Rating metadata
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums 2020 rating order: #345 of 500 (69.0% of all items rated)
Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums 2003/2012/2020 Combined List rating order: #367 of 686 (53.5% of all items rated)
1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die All-Editions-Combined List rating order: n/a of 1,076 (49.3% of all items rated)
1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die rating order: n/a of 1,000 (17.9% of all items rated)

Rating: 55

Posted comment: Not much memorable for me on this one and, consistent with many highly regarded 90s R&B albums, it's really long. I did enjoy the unexpected Joni Mitchell interpolation.

Notes: Seriously, these hour-plus R&B albums are the main drag on my ability to get through this Rolling Stone list. They're definitely not getting better as we get further from the top.
  • Visit poster's website
an-outlaw

United Kingdom

• Posted: 12/31/2020 19:33
  • Post subject:
You have an epic username Anxious
  • Visit poster's website
planetneutral

• Posted: 12/31/2020 19:49
  • Post subject:
an-outlaw wrote:
You have an epic username Anxious

I haven't even thought about it in years. Back in college (mid-90s), I had a reputation for general indifference in the group decision-making process. At one point, my friend, exasperated by my apathy about a dinner decision, said something like "Whatever, Planet Neutral!" He was trying to make a reference to the Neutral Planet in Futurama, but I liked how it rolled off his tongue. When it came time to pick a Hotmail address, I picked planetneutral@hotmail.com and have been using the name in some form or another ever since.

• Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 12/31/2020 20:00
  • Post subject:
okay, i could put up with the other stuff, but The Velvet Rope?! I love it and I thought maybe you'd like it.

Have you heard Lauryn Hill's The Miseducation of... or Erykah Badu's Mam's Gun? Those are 2 masterpieces and if any album can break through to you on these long R&B albums, they will be the ones. Otherwise maybe this style just ain't for you...?

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
planetneutral

• Posted: 12/31/2020 20:21
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
Have you heard Lauryn Hill's The Miseducation of... or Erykah Badu's Mam's Gun?

Yes, those albums were rated 80 and 75 respectively. Baduizm got the same 75 score, but I noted that Mama's Gun was perhaps a step above.

I'm definitely not that into R&B, especially in long doses where most tracks are slower and the individual songs aren't really making much of an impression. I honestly have a hard time staying awake during this kind of album sometimes. But I never stop trying and take peer defense of individual albums seriously.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 12/31/2020 21:48
  • Post subject:
planetneutral wrote:
Yes, those albums were rated 80 and 75 respectively. Baduizm got the same 75 score, but I noted that Mama's Gun was perhaps a step above.

I'm definitely not that into R&B, especially in long doses where most tracks are slower and the individual songs aren't really making much of an impression. I honestly have a hard time staying awake during this kind of album sometimes. But I never stop trying and take peer defense of individual albums seriously.

okay that makes sense. I get what you are saying.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website