57%
 57%  [11]
Total Votes : 19

babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2021 19:10
  • Post subject:
Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde was one of the first hip hop albums I got into, and soon after that I listened to Labcabincalifornia and was completely ambivalent. Listening to it again, I have no idea why. I think I was looking for more of the humor that their debut had, but while it's a bit more restrained this one still has a lot of the same personality. And the production is undoubtedly better. With more listens I might consider this their best album.

Atrocity Exhibition is a top five hip hop album from me, from the rapper who might be my favorite. So 1995 has a lot of ground to make up, though Labincabincalifornia just made up some of that. Going to give YG a relisten and check out On Top of the World, haven't heard of that one before but it sounds intriguing.
PossiblyMichigan

• Posted: 02/08/2021 17:46
  • Post subject:
Wow this bracket is just seven masterpieces huh? Stunning selections from Mercury and Travelful and two years that honestly could go all the way (everyone knows 95 is deep but 16 hasn't even reached for jeffrey, telefone, spaceghostpurpp, skepta, kodak black, moor mother, five fiver posse, black kray and many more).

I think I'm ultimately convinced to vote 16 here, it's got the weakest single (Pusha T) but also my favorite album on the board, Atrocity Exhibition but I could and have flipped several times throughout these relistens.
  • Visit poster's website
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 02/10/2021 20:47
  • Post subject:
After listening to the rest of the entries in this match-up I agree that this is an incredible match-up, and one that I haven't decided on yet. On Top of the World really impressed me, it's a long album that isn't too varied but the production is just so good that it doesn't matter. I hadn't listened to Still Brazy since 2016 and was surprised how much I remembered of it, it has a lot of great songs.

The singles are all great, and I'd probably rank them something like this:

1. ScHoolboy Q
2. Fugees
3. Pusha T
4. Crooklyn Dodgers

Not sure it matters that much though because I'd give them all a 4. For the albums I'd go:

Eightball & MJG - 3.5
The Pharcyde - 3.5
Danny Brown - 5
YG - 3

So with that in mind 2016 would win 16 to 15. However, I'm a bit hesitant to decide such a close match-up just based on the fact that it has one of my favorite albums of any genre on one side. And I think my ratings for the 1995 albums are a bit low, and that they could rise with more listens; I almost feel that a vote for 2016 is a vote for familiarity. So for now I'm going to abstain, and if I get a chance come back to the albums again and see if my mind changes.
KitchenSink

• Posted: 02/10/2021 23:26
  • Post subject:
ended up going '95 but just barely. Labcab put it over the top for me, almost any other album and I would've leaned '16
Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 02/11/2021 11:45
  • Post subject:
Going 1995 because 2016 has one choice - 'Drug Dealers Anonymous' - that isn't a complete masterpiece. That isn't a dig at the song or its nomination here: it's great, just not an all-timer. Again, a round of applause for all involved.
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/12/2021 02:34
  • Post subject: Re: BYHH GW2: Group D - 1995 vs. 2016
RoundTheBend wrote:
1995 (captain: Mercury) - (10)

Eightball & MJG - On Top of the World (2.5)
The Pharcyde - Labcabincalifornia (2.25)
Crooklyn Dodgers '95 - Return of the Crooklyn Dodgers (2.25)
Fugees - Fu-Gee-La (500... hehe)

vs.

2016 (captain: travelful) - 10
Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition (2.75)
YG - Still Brazy (2.75?)
ScHoolboy Q - JoHn Muir (2.25)
Pusha T - Drug Dealers Anonymous (ft. Jay-Z) (2.25)

Dammit... I didn't even notice until now how close this was for me...
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 02/13/2021 08:13
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
Sia Michel is currently Deputy Culture Editor at The New York Times. In 1995, she wrote a critical review of Lacabincalifornia for Spin in which she rather spitefully compared their supposed newfound maturity to "Martin Lawrence doing Chekhov". Not only has the benefit of hindsight proved her initial assessment of the album as some sort of misguided yet "calculated progression [to] get Labcabincalifornia as much play in the streets as their debut did on college radio" to be completely wrong, but there's something I find inherently discomfiting about a white journalist suggesting that comically-minded Black entertainers (in this case, both The Pharcyde and Martin Lawrence) should stay in their lane instead of striving to be taken seriously. (All of which is ignoring the fact that she completely overexaggerated The Pharcyde's progression - which was extremely natural and actually pretty subtle - in order to make what was a reductive, potentially harmful joke at everyone else's expense.)

Anyway, it was written over 25 years ago when she was undoubtedly a relative novice attempting to make a name for herself, and we've all written shit that we later regret. (God forbid anybody go through my posting history with a fine-tooth comb.) I'm sure she's an extremely capable cultural commentator responsible for lots of excellent work, and it is fantastic that a female writer has been able to ascend to numerous positions of journalistic influence and respect in her career. I can only imagine she'd be, at the very least, mildly embarrassed by this 1995 Pharcyde album review. I just thought it was an interesting quote worth sharing, for some reason.

To be fair, this was released around the time of the Martin Lawrence SNL monologue chapter, when he was getting shit from everywhere, so perhaps if anything it's a bit of a parasitic review hopping on a then-current cultural hot potato, but in hindsight yeah actually looking at the full review I can see how that comes across as a bit ick-ily condescending reading through it now. Given I don't think there was malicious intent here (and mainly cause trying to respond to a review by making it all about the percieved flaws and prejiduces of the reviewer- to a lesser extent than actually ignorant trolling- is what's making musical, or rlly discussion about anything, these days completely unbearable), but I agree with a lot said there and it also seems to be dismissing Bizarre Ride as some sort of comedic fluff and not recognizing how immaculate and dexterous it really was, and a more natural precursor to Labcabin in hindsight, an album admittedly that I took a few go-throughs to really appreciate maybe just because their debut was so personally formative. Although LOL spin magazine.
  • Visit poster's website
kokkinos

• Posted: 02/14/2021 09:22
  • Post subject:
Once again in the slightly awkward position of breaking the tie in a matchup invloving 1995. This time, though, it's the other way around in comparison to the first round, it has to be 2016.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 02/14/2021 15:56
  • Post subject:
yeah, i'd like to speak to the manager, please.

right now, thank you./

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/15/2021 00:41
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
yeah, i'd like to speak to the manager, please.

right now, thank you./

I'm just being silly with this meme - tough game for sure... super tight vote for me. I honestly can't remember who I voted for now that I think about it... Laughing

Last edited by RoundTheBend on 02/15/2021 00:46; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website